just finished MSW..am I crazy to go back for OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

movershaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Looking for some sort of input, though I get that it's hard to comment on another person's personal scenario without even knowing them! I really appreciate anyone's attempt to input anything! :)

I'm 27 and just finished my MSW last May. I went back for that degree after taking time off for lots of crazy travel adventures, and wasn't at all sure "what i wanted to be when I grew up," but chose MSW b/c it is a broad degree that compassed my interests in people and helping them live happy lives. I knew when I picked it that it was to help me get my head on academically, and that I could very well end up back in school for a doctorate or something. My original plan in college was counseling psych Phd, but I didn't want to commit to a counseling career, so thought MSW would let me know if I wanted to do that (turns out there's good and bad with it (of course)).

I learned about OT during my degree program, and have had it in the back of mind for about a year thinking "man I should have picked that field!" I still feel that way!
If I could hit a button and switch my MSW to an MOT I would do it in a second! The job opportunities and compensation blows my mind (esp compared to SW), and I feel like it could be less burn-out (bc man SW is tough like that!). I really love babies and children, but never thought I could work with birth to 3 in SW but now I see you can do that with OT. I also love how you're helping people in more concrete ways than SW, but using lots of the same holistic philosophies. And of course, the practicality (that I did not have at all 3 yrs ago!) that this is a job in demand and future employment is solid.

I have the mental energy to do school again, but I think about the time spent in school racking up debt vs out working in the real world. And I think about being 31 by the time I finish, and starting my first serious, FT job in my career at that age! And I feel like, am I silly for changing careers before I even start one??

Am I crazy? The school near me would put me back 65k just for the tuition flat (already 45k in BA and MSW..despite full tuition scholarships pssh!), and I would start in a year from now and finish in 2.5 years.

Thanks for listening everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I say go for it! People tell me I am crazy for packing on another 60K for my MOT when I already have 60K from my Bachelor's (it was 40K, but interest kills!!). The bottom line is your happiness with your career is more important than saving that 60K and doing something you don't love. And that 60K is about one year's salary as an OT...so if you budget the right way, you could pay it off within a couple years of graduating. For me, it helps that I am living with family, so I will not have rent/utility bills through school thank god. Don't let anybody tell you not to do what YOU want to do because of finances. That is this country's problem anyway...we base every decision off of money and sacrafice our own happiness and let our lives pass us by. Good luck :). Message me if you ever want to talk. I start my OT program August 20th!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you still have a job in social work? If it is flexible you could probably manage something, but it will probably be difficult.

How much are MSWs being paid now anyways? I also considered pursuing it at one point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies and encouragement. I may take you up on msg-ing you, gina!

I don't have a SW job just yet, going through that process now. As far as pay goes, for an MSW starting out 35-45 is a reasonable range where I'm from (Albany NY).

If you decide to pursue OT you could do a part time program where you would go to class every other Saturday and have online classes for 4 years while still working full time.

I live in Rochester...we're not too far apart!!

Not crazy! My professor actually has an MSW and she is an OTR! Do whatever makes you happy!

Thanks again to everyone with their replies. I saw my family last night and they also said to go for it if it's what i want, and they were impressed with the job market for it (vs they have been worried about me a bit w this MSW thing to be honest!). Just for example, my HS best friend's roommate just graduated and was choosing between 5 different offers, and went with a public school in DC. I wish I had 5 offers to do something fulfilling that would also afford me a comfortable lifestyle to buy a house, have a family, etc!

It's also music to my ears that the OT is generally one that it's not hard to find a job in, making moves or recessions that much easier. To give you more of my background, I am also involved in career and outplacement counseling, and believe me having a 'recession-proof' job is no joke.

Now it's a matter of deciding if it actually IS what i want and not just an idea!! Cruising internet forums is a dangerous game- I've turned up so many people bitter about OT, productivity demands, threatening changes in healthcare, and CNA type work. (Also read the threads on this site addressing how people go over to Indeed forums to vent and it is obviously biased info! Of course, everyone is different and one person's dream is another's nightmare). Still though, if anyone wants to comment on that I'd appreciate reassurance that OT work isn't the scary picture some of those sites have depicted!

I will have to continue my research though to see if my expectations of the field are reasonable, and of course do some shadowing to see if it really is for me. The number one aspect I'm drawn to is pediatrics, particularly birth to 5 but also older, so I'm currently trying to see how viable that market really is.

Also as far as my fear of debt goes, from what I see OT's can qualify for public service loan forgiveness (depending where they work of course), so really that effectively caps your loan if you can go that route.

There are a lot of weekend and part-time programs in New York and Pennsylvania. I have no idea how easy it is to find a social work job with flexible part-time hours, but working while attending school for an MOT is a definite possibility. Right now, I'd focus on getting a social work job while looking to see if you have all the pre-requisites for a MOT program. Maybe apply for 2013, maybe apply for 2014. But having real work experience in the social work field could be an asset either in a graduate school program or after graduating and working in OT.

Definitely go for it...don't worry about debt. And after the MOT go for the OTD...its where OT is headed, just as PT. As long as you're happy, do it...when you are not happy, don't. Do something else.

Wanted to revive this thread! Curious if any others have been in similar situations. My passion has always been helping, but specifically underserved populations. I would like to pursue an MSW after an MOT, eventually.

Hi, I am currently enrolled in an online COTA program . I have a Bachelor's degree in Liberal Arts, and I am considering doing a MSW and possibly doing a Phd in OT. But Does anyone know of any OTR's that completed a MSW ?

Imho you should do a cost benefit analysis. Total cost of program, total years you work, and figure that stuff out.

If your heart draws you to OT, of course you should do it. Don't listen to anything otherwise. Just make sure it's what you want.

Thanks @occupationalguy, I know the cost is ridiculous! I have gone over it. It is just really frustrating how some schools require GRE's and some don't. After not getting into 3 schools for MSOT and studying like crazy for the GRE, I am a little frustrated. As much as I want to have (and be a) MSOT I'm really impatient to start any program at this point. I feel like waiting another year to reapply and not doing anything academically in between is driving me crazy

Thanks @occupationalguy, I know the cost is ridiculous! I have gone over it. It is just really frustrating how some schools require GRE's and some don't. After not getting into 3 schools for MSOT and studying like crazy for the GRE, I am a little frustrated. As much as I want to have (and be a) MSOT I'm really impatient to start any program at this point. I feel like waiting another year to reapply and not doing anything academically in between is driving me crazy

My advice: Don't get overwhelmed. Are you tied to a geographic location? Are you able to travel to go to OT school?
If so, make a list of programs which meet your criteria:

1- Note if the school requires the GRE or NOT
2- Note the total cost of tuition and living expenses in said city
3- Note if they do OTCAS or not

Now organize your schools, and decide based on these important factors and also how you felt of the program from what you learned about it.

My advice is to do what you really want: if you want to be an OT, make it happen. You can. I know there are some schools which total out to 40-50k for the entire degree. Why not aim for that?

PS I made an entire thread on salaries you can look at the location you are interested in and see what the 25% percentile and median OT salary is there. This may also help you.

My advice: Don't get overwhelmed. Are you tied to a geographic location? Are you able to travel to go to OT school?
If so, make a list of programs which meet your criteria:

1- Note if the school requires the GRE or NOT
2- Note the total cost of tuition and living expenses in said city
3- Note if they do OTCAS or not

Now organize your schools, and decide based on these important factors and also how you felt of the program from what you learned about it.

My advice is to do what you really want: if you want to be an OT, make it happen. You can. I know there are some schools which total out to 40-50k for the entire degree. Why not aim for that?

PS I made an entire thread on salaries you can look at the location you are interested in and see what the 25% percentile and median OT salary is there. This may also help you.

I saw that thread and grateful you posted that. It is definitely an eye opener and I have already looked into cheaper schools but i'll take another look again. I am applying to one more MSOT school out here in CA that doesn't require GRE and if that fails through, in the mean time I am completing my COTA and my plan is to relocate to NY after the program, since they offer the weekend MSOT program. Thats the my only hope at least I can increase my salary ( still semi support my self) and complete my degree. Its definitely a longer route that I anticipated.