Just another GMO to civilian residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rufrknkdnme

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been brought up a million times before but I was curious on how GMO/DMO/FS experience affects civilian residency application according to specialization? For example, I would think it would give you a slight advantage when applying for EM. Maybe a slight disadvantage in general surgery or ortho (probably up for debate) because your skill/knowledge would atrophy during your time as a GMO. I was wondering how GMO experience would be looked at in other specializations, maybe rad or gas. Also correct me if I'm mistaken in the previous examples that I gave.

Also, I'm assuming that you'd have to redo your internship year for some residency programs but not for others. What programs would you have to redo internship and which ones would let you start at PGY-2? How would you even apply to start at PGY-2? I hope my questions make sense since I'm not very familiar with all the proper terminologies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This has been discussed pretty thoroughly, try searching and reading some of the newer threads to get some background info. For the nuts and bolts of how to make it happen for you after AD, like how to apply to start as a PGY-2, read j4pac's thread that has been stickied.

My thoughts: for competitive specialties it will be seen as a disadvantage that you've been out of a training environment for 3-4 years. There may be a slight compensation by the fact that you (hopefully) show you are a hard worker and can work well with others for longer than a 4 week clerkship. Another potential positive is that depending on your assignment, you may have some free time to get involved in research or publish some case reports. If you know you are committed to becoming gen surg or ortho and want to prove that to places where you are applying, consider studying for and taking the ABSITE or OITE the year before you apply to show you are capable of studying and learning the material.

You'll have to be proactive during your GMO time to make it advantageous for your application.

This has been discussed pretty thoroughly, try searching and reading some of the newer threads to get some background info. For the nuts and bolts of how to make it happen for you after AD, like how to apply to start as a PGY-2, read j4pac's thread that has been stickied.

My thoughts: for competitive specialties it will be seen as a disadvantage that you've been out of a training environment for 3-4 years. There may be a slight compensation by the fact that you (hopefully) show you are a hard worker and can work well with others for longer than a 4 week clerkship. Another potential positive is that depending on your assignment, you may have some free time to get involved in research or publish some case reports. If you know you are committed to becoming gen surg or ortho and want to prove that to places where you are applying, consider studying for and taking the ABSITE or OITE the year before you apply to show you are capable of studying and learning the material.

You'll have to be proactive during your GMO time to make it advantageous for your application.
You can take inservice exams if you aren't a part of a relevant residency program? I had never heard of that.