Junior Seeking Guidance Going Forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted846074

Alright straight to the point: I'm a junior with about 2 weeks left until summer. The good news is that I'm (hopefully) getting a 3.7 this semester but the bad news is that I just calculated my sGPA and it will be 2.6 and my overall a 3.1. I don't want to make excuses, my first 2, and arguably 2.5 years of college I was unmotivated and immature and lacked the necessary drive to succeed. I have fixed that as of now, but am feeling quite discouraged nonetheless.

I volunteer at a local children's museum and will also begin scribing here soon (awaiting training) and currently have 50 hours of IM shadowing. In addition I'm a part of some clubs where I've helped organize events and even hosted them.

I have 2 Ws from when I transferred colleges to one back home because I wasn't happy and not doing well away from home, I took the Ws because I would have to retake those classes since they didn't transfer over despite me just transferring to a satellite campus. I then took another W last fall because I was afraid of getting a bad grade (below C-) for the course. I am already retaking said course in the summer and hope to do well since I have my affairs in order nowadays.

I will have about 96 Credits with a total of 3.1 cGPA and 2.6 sGPA. I was already hoping to take an extra semester to beef up my GPAs and then take the MCAT April 18' while using that spring semester to do my extracurriculars and study, but once again didn't know how bad my sGPA really was until now. I calculated it through AMCAS and have 42 Credits in BCPM resulting in the 2.6 sGPA.

What should my goal be in regards to GPA and how long should I take to reach it to make it into a MD or DO school? I'm willing to even take extra courses in that spring semester to show how I have matured and can handle school now. With my calculation I can probably get my cGPA up to the 3.4-3.5 range if I take a semester or two after graduation to do GPA repair. How can I get that sGPA up to match it though? I was really banking on grade replacement for DO for some courses but that's out of the picture. I guess I'm just hopelessly looking for some guidance on how to somehow still make it into a med school with a solid timeline.

Any advice is welcome. I appreciate your time. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are going to need to take a little more time and improve your gpa before applying. The good news is that there are a lot of schools that reward reinvention (especially DO) so a less than stellar start doesn't kill you. Do well next year and plan on at least a 1 year post bacc before applying. Also ace the MCAT to help erase any doubts in your ability.

You are going to need to take a little more time and improve your gpa before applying. The good news is that there are a lot of schools that reward reinvention (especially DO) so a less than stellar start doesn't kill you. Do well next year and plan on at least a 1 year post bacc before applying. Also ace the MCAT to help erase any doubts in your ability.
Thank you for your input! What would I have to get my sGPA up to in order to be competitive?

Thank you for your input! What would I have to get my sGPA up to in order to be competitive?
Most schools won't even look at your app unless both overall and science GPA are over 3.0.