June NAPLEX exp.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmasaurusRex17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took the NAPLEX last week and still waiting for my score. Hopefully I passed; however... I received a ton of questions on:
Compounding (Non-sterile) and how to make things like lotions/creams/etc
HIV
ID
Onco
Anticoagulation and heart
Am care
... and of course the calculations were extremely easy give or take except 2-3 questions.

Good luck to those taking NAPLEX, and special shoutout to the 2017 class <3

Word of advice: Go slowly and READ. LOL.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on taking your exam! hopefully everything turns out great! If you don't mind, I would like to ask you a few questions since i will be taking my exam in a few weeks.

1. For the compounding, was the rx prep section good preparation for the exam? I feel very overwhelmed with the compounding section when it comes to the different excipients.
2. For chemo did you mainly focus on the se profile, chemo man, preventative n/v and the certain antidotes for the different agents?
3. For the math - is the math similar to rx prep questions or more like the 120 sdn questions?
4. If you used rx prep to study, were the questions online for topics similar to the test?
5. How was the distribution of the exam with multiple choice vs SATA

congrats on taking your exam! hopefully everything turns out great! If you don't mind, I would like to ask you a few questions since i will be taking my exam in a few weeks.

1. For the compounding, was the rx prep section good preparation for the exam? I feel very overwhelmed with the compounding section when it comes to the different excipients.
2. For chemo did you mainly focus on the se profile, chemo man, preventative n/v and the certain antidotes for the different agents?
3. For the math - is the math similar to rx prep questions or more like the 120 sdn questions?
4. If you used rx prep to study, were the questions online for topics similar to the test?
5. How was the distribution of the exam with multiple choice vs SATA

Merci merci haha thanks! So my answer to your questions:
1) I wish it was more comprehensive in terms of how to make certain things, but I really loved how RxPrep put everything into tables. Tables are how I studied to get through school, hence why I was able to at least remember quite a bit.
2) Exactly. You have the right idea. Drug classes, their side effects, where they work on the cell cycles, and antidotes.
3) Calculations were a mix of both, but I thought they were more like the RxPrep questions in the book. That being said, RxPrep makes their questions purposely harder by a ton so that it becomes easy :)!
4) It was similar yes, but as said above, RxPrep was much harder. I liked that it drove me to study harder and more.
5) I would say 15% was SATA and the rest was a mix of multiple choice, matching, K-type, fill in the blank, short answer numbers, etc.

Best of luck, :)!

Just took the NAPLEX last week and still waiting for my score. Hopefully I passed; however... I received a ton of questions on:
HIV
ID
Onco
Am care
... and of course the calculations were extremely easy give or take except 2-3 questions.

How much time you spend studying?

Members don't see this ad :)
HIV
ID
Onco
Am care

Hey! I also recently took the exam on June 6. Did you happen to see if you have that Add Score Transfers option under your active registrations?
I'm waiting on my scores still and some threads say that this might mean you passed...

Hey! I also recently took the exam on June 6. Did you happen to see if you have that Add Score Transfers option under your active registrations?
I'm waiting on my scores still and some threads say that this might mean you passed...

Unfortunately the state I took it in doesn't participate in online reporting so I'm not sure LOL. What state are you located in?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Did you take the prenaplex? was it representative of the current format? Also - how were the biostats?

I will be taking the Naplex on Friday and I will give an update with what types of questions I see.

Per the Pre-Naplex, a friend and I both took it about a week ago and got scores of 102 and 109. Neither of us have studied extremely hard for the test and were definitely concerned how well we were prepared. While those scores should be reassuring, I am questioning how representative they are based on the types of questions we got. Between both of us we got no more than 3 Onc questions and 1 HIV question. We also got a lot of Drug Reference and compounding questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Took the naplex last week and just found out I passed.

-Selling my remaining 60 days of my RxPrep question bank. I felt like the question bank was very helpful.

Took the naplex last week and just found out I passed.

-Selling my remaining 60 days of my RxPrep question bank. I felt like the question bank was very helpful.

Congratulations.. I'm taking NAPLEX on next week. How important to know brand generic for test? Top 300 is good enough? And in how depth the questions was from drug inreacrions? Thanks

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Did you take the prenaplex? was it representative of the current format? Also - how were the biostats?

Yup took prenaplex twice courtesy of my school. Biostats was super easy haha, just know how to calculate stuff and interpret it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations.. I'm taking NAPLEX on next week. How important to know brand generic for test? Top 300 is good enough? And in how depth the questions was from drug inreacrions? Thanks

Top 300 is enough and brand generic is important because you will not be able to answer the questions correctly without recognizing the name flip. The questions for drug interactions were simple, just know the generalized interaction of each class if they do interact as well as the ADRs.

Took the Naplex yesterday...how long have they been taking to post scores? For a Monday exam should I expect results posted Wednesday or Thursday or later?

Took the Naplex yesterday...how long have they been taking to post scores? For a Monday exam should I expect results posted Wednesday or Thursday or later?
Seems like you have to wait two full business days. Do you have recommendations on what material to focus on?

I took mine last week as well, just received an e-mail from the BOP notifying me that I passed!

I'm weird and tallied how many calculations (<35), non-sterile compounding (13), and ID (<35.. wtf!) questions I had.. mainly because I had heard 30-35% of the NAPLEX is calculations, but my boyfriend who graduated three years ago kept telling me "I had less than 10-15 calculations on my NAPLEX" while I was studying and panicking about random stuff like E-values. NEWS FLASH: I only got <35 calculation questions out of 250 possible questions (including any cases that required me to calculate CrCl). I had three HIV questions and two onco questions - one wasn't even really onco since it just asked me to calculate a dose based on BSA.

If I could go back in time, I'd recommend studying ID (know your doses and first/second-line DOC for UTI, meningitis, STIs, CAP/HCAP, at the very least).

Reactions: 1 users
I took mine last week as well, just received an e-mail from the BOP notifying me that I passed!

I'm weird and tallied how many calculations (<35), non-sterile compounding (13), and ID (<35.. wtf!) questions I had.. mainly because I had heard 30-35% of the NAPLEX is calculations, but my boyfriend who graduated three years ago kept telling me "I had less than 10-15 calculations on my NAPLEX" while I was studying and panicking about random stuff like E-values. NEWS FLASH: I only got <35 calculation questions out of 250 possible questions (including any cases that required me to calculate CrCl). I had three HIV questions and two onco questions - one wasn't even really onco since it just asked me to calculate a dose based on BSA.

If I could go back in time, I'd recommend studying ID (know your doses and first/second-line DOC for UTI, meningitis, STIs, CAP/HCAP, at the very least).

OMG You're in Seattle LOL. But yay congrats! My favorite subject is ID, hence I had fun taking that stuff on the exam.

Hello fellow Washingtonian! :) Thank you!

I like ID too but I thought some of the questions were unfair (weird AE I hadn't heard of until I wikipedia'd it). When did you take your exam?

Hello fellow Washingtonian! :) Thank you!

I like ID too but I thought some of the questions were unfair (weird AE I hadn't heard of until I wikipedia'd it). When did you take your exam?

I took it June 7! Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the mountains but, I can drive into Seattle easily. WA is growing on me really really fast. Did you take MPJE yet?

Reactions: 1 users
Aww we took the exam one day apart haha.

I haven't taken the MPJE yet, have you? I'm not planning on taking it since I'm doing a fellowship and don't need my pharmacist license :(

I figured that if I needed my WA license in the distant future, it's easier to study for since it's mostly law. I'm only taking the CPJE now because I'm going to forget all of my therapeutics knowledge and would have to restudy both clinical + law :cat:

Aww we took the exam one day apart haha.

I haven't taken the MPJE yet, have you? I'm not planning on taking it since I'm doing a fellowship and don't need my pharmacist license :(

I figured that if I needed my WA license in the distant future, it's easier to study for since it's mostly law. I'm only taking the CPJE now because I'm going to forget all of my therapeutics knowledge and would have to restudy both clinical + law :cat:

Not yet, I scheduled it for the 29th. But I have a feeling that I'm going to feel like I have ADD again from studying for hours. Actually, I'm almost done with Fassett's book... I'll probably go through it again the next 2 weeks. Or I can move it up and take it Monday to yolo it.

From my experience with the Naplex, I would say to know:

HIV
o Abacavir- KNOW the 5701 allele and hypersensitivity

o Know how to recognize NRTI vs NNRTI vs INSTI vs PI

o Opportunistic Infection PPX

o Sulfa allergy in HIV

ID
o Meningitis à KNOW how to diagnose and difference between bacterial vs fungal vs viral in CSF, treatment regimen, treatment duration based on organism

o CAP treatment

o STD treatment

Anticoagulation
o dabigatran

o Know how to spot and treat HIT

o Know how to dose lovenox/heparin

Compounding
o Eutectic mixtures (review terminology Trituration, levigating/wetting agent)

o Steps to make a capsule (ie Full pack method)

o Difference between formulations (solutions vs suspensions vs ointments vs lotions)

o Felt these were on par with what I saw on the pre-naplex

Onc
o Very limited and I did not get any “max lifetime dose”

Heme
o Mostly hit Anemia (determine what type)

o Some about ESA use (when to use and

Got small case sets on Alzhiemers, depression, bipolar: Can’t recommend much beyond just be familiar with drugs, dosing, and which are 1st line vs 2nd line

· Know Phenytoin and Fosphenytoin à Know max infusion rate and levels for each, know the correction calculation based on albumin

· ADHD medications à which ones are LA vs immediate release and which ones have both components

· A lot of patient profiles have ASA, sulfa, and/or penicillin allergies: pay attention to these

· A lot of patient profiles have multiple disease states and numerous medications (8+), don't let the excess bloat confuse you

· Make sure to read through the patient case when you need to. Often the diagnosis is not explicitly stated and may require reading the exams and patient workup.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
A colleague took the the WI NAPLEX on 6/1 and still doesnt know their results? Anyone from WI know the timeframe from exam date to posted results? (or NAPLEX registration status ATT to closed status timefram for possible, unofficial pass/fail result)

HIV
ID
Onco
Am care

What state are you licensing in? And what were your post exam feelings (confiden you past/felt like you failed)

What state are you licensing in? And what were your post exam feelings (confiden you past/felt like you failed)

H! I'm licensing in CA and WA where I'm from and where my residency is at. ^^

I felt ... oddly OK. Like indifferent about it. It wasn't easy, but it also wasn't hard.

Hello Guys,
I am selling the following books:
RxPrep's California Law Summary for CPJE
Weissman Book
Sigler's Prescription Drug Cards: Study Cards with Binder
Please contact me for the interested. Good luck!