Jonny Kim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimbus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 2 users
fa8pqlx3xro44nnaxnuv_400x400.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one that googled "astronaut salary" ? The best of the best of the best apparently don't get paid the best. Hope he can moonlight in between space runs.

Epic CV. He makes us all look like underachievers.

Reactions: 5 users
Impressive.

Being an astronaut sounds like a lot of work though..

Impressive.

Being an astronaut sounds like a lot of work though..

I would do it in a heartbeat. These are going to be the people that will goto Mars.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
I would do it in a heartbeat. These are going to be the people that will goto Mars.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
bruh do you know what space travel does to your body tho?

Wow, his CV makes me feel like I failed at life

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else find it strange that it takes only 2 years of training to be an astronaut, but 7-8 to be an ED doc?

Am I the only one that googled "astronaut salary" ? The best of the best of the best apparently don't get paid the best. Hope he can moonlight in between space runs.

When your CV looks like that, it's probably not money that you're after.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what his program director's response was when he was told that an intern would not be coming back.
Yeah, 20+ years ago, when Scott Parazynski got picked up, he was an EM-2, PGY-3 at Denver. He was 2mo short of finishing EM-2.

Considering how many astronauts have been doctors, only about half have completed residency. I wonder how much, if any at all, EM would help you in low Earth orbit. For example, if someone has a violent psychologic event, that person essentially gets stuffed in a trash bag, secured at the neck, after 20 of Haldol. Done and done.

Yeah, 20+ years ago, when Scott Parazynski got picked up, he was an EM-2, PGY-3 at Denver. He was 2mo short of finishing EM-2.

Considering how many astronauts have been doctors, only about half have completed residency. I wonder how much, if any at all, EM would help you in low Earth orbit. For example, if someone has a violent psychologic event, that person essentially gets stuffed in a trash bag, secured at the neck, after 20 of Haldol. Done and done.
Tough to do good chest compressions in zero G's.

Tough to do good chest compressions in zero G's.
Actually, though, a Lucas device, or one of those that are circumferential, should work. I was just reading some summaries from NASA about the "Crew Medical Restraint System", which flew and was tested on one STS mission #40 something, and on STS-81, and they were able to deploy the CMRS in less than a minute.

His bio is a guaranteed 7 figure book deal.

I went to what we affectionately referred to as "doctor space camp" at Kennedy Space Center as a 2nd year resident. We learned how to decon and treat jet fuel exposure and how to intubate someone in a spacesuit, which is trickier than it looks. And also to please not cut the gloves off - there is a twisty-latch thing 'cause damn those things are expensive. FWIW, if I'm intubating someone in a spacesuit, chances are there are more problems than just the ABC stuff... you know, stuff you'll never need to know, but _someone_ has to be medical control.

It was a really cool day, but after they ended the shuttle program, Kennedy wasn't quite the same. We used to go up to the helipad to watch launches.
But actually *being* an astronaut? Mad props dude. But then again, that is a hell of a resume.

Follows in the footsteps of many physician-astronauts before him.

Joe Kerwin - first physician astronaut, worked on the moon landings in mission control, flew on the first Skylab mission: Joseph P. Kerwin - Wikipedia

Story Musgrave - flew multiple times in space, MD from Columbia, more degrees than I could achieve in a lifetime, all after growing up in an abusive household. Awesome life/career: Story Musgrave - Wikipedia

Dude is my new hero, especially with a name like Jonny Kim. Sounds like Jonny Quest (Venture Bros!).

The other want to be standing next to him was a commercial fisherman. Guess one has to have a pulse to get accepted. He said he worked well with others.

This is very interesting. Makes you wonder if it's because NASA wants people at the peak of health (meaning young) or because they don't want to take people who have ben indoctrinated into the House of Medicine (which may teach habits and mental frameworks that do not translate well to being Medical Control on a space shuttle).

This is very interesting. Makes you wonder if it's because NASA wants people at the peak of health (meaning young) or because they don't want to take people who have ben indoctrinated into the House of Medicine (which may teach habits and mental frameworks that do not translate well to being Medical Control on a space shuttle).
I've always thought that it's because they don't give a damn about anyone/anything. They trump all other undertakings - when they're ready, you're ready, whether you are or not! It's all rather procrustean.

I've always thought that it's because they don't give a damn about anyone/anything. They trump all other undertakings - when they're ready, you're ready, whether you are or not! It's all rather procrustean.

Procrustean...I learned a new word today - thanks!

I wish they asked him more interesting questions than that. For example, if he ever plans on returning to medicine, what his residency program told him when he revealed his plans, etc.
Good point, me too I wish they asked him better questions. About returning to residency, he did say this: "Wanting to be a physician and help people is one of the most admirable occupations you can do. I mean, there’s so much sacrifice and selflessness in pursuing this kind of work. I would have been very happy to [work as a physician] and maybe it will be in the cards one day for me to return and finish my residency training."

Good point, me too I wish they asked him better questions. About returning to residency, he did say this: "Wanting to be a physician and help people is one of the most admirable occupations you can do. I mean, there’s so much sacrifice and selflessness in pursuing this kind of work. I would have been very happy to [work as a physician] and maybe it will be in the cards one day for me to return and finish my residency training."
Politically good answer, but I'll tell ya right now - he ain't ever coming back.

I guess I'm the only one here that has no desire to be an astronaut? Working in a zero gravity environment, taking major chances on your life, eating freeze dried food and having to go to the bathroom in your space suit.. If you do come back, you end up with osteoporotic bones?

Thanks but no thanks. The ED is risky enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
I guess I'm the only one here that has no desire to be an astronaut? Working in a zero gravity environment, taking major chances on your life, eating freeze dried food and having to go to the bathroom in your space suit.. If you do come back, you end up with osteoporotic bones?

Nah, I'm with you. :) In my imagination I think it'd be really cool to be an astronaut, but if I was actually serious about it, I would quickly come to the conclusion that being an astronaut is completely unrealistic for me. After all some mornings I can barely put on my clothes the right way, I can't imagine if I had to put on a spacesuit! Also I'd probably be the first guy in history to accidentally hit the wrong button on the international space station and get myself sucked out of the airlock! :heckyeah:

Reactions: 2 users
Why I became a doctor is because I couldn't become an astronaut. My plan was to go to Annapolis, become a pilot, become an astronaut, and fly the space shuttle. However, in 7th grade, my eyes went bad, and I knew I could never then fly. I nearly got into Annapolis anyhow (but didn't), and now I'm a second rate EM doc.

When I was a kid I wanted to be either a rock star or an astronaut when I grew up.
Now that I'm a dad, I'm glad that I'm neither.

Why I became a doctor is because I couldn't become an astronaut. My plan was to go to Annapolis, become a pilot, become an astronaut, and fly the space shuttle. However, in 7th grade, my eyes went bad, and I knew I could never then fly. I nearly got into Annapolis anyhow (but didn't), and now I'm a second rate EM doc.
What makes you 2nd rate?

What makes you 2nd rate?
I'm lazy. I haven't done my MOC, hoping it will be found to be idiotic, although that is unlikely. I'm an FMG, and work a ****ty job in rural PA, and 24 hour shifts at that, for money that @emergentmd literally would not get out of bed (as he has stated that, verbatim). I've made the wrong call every step of my professional career.

I'm lazy. I haven't done my MOC, hoping it will be found to be idiotic, although that is unlikely. I'm an FMG, and work a ****ty job in rural PA, and 24 hour shifts at that, for money that @emergentmd literally would not get out of bed (as he has stated that, verbatim). I've made the wrong call every step of my professional career.
None of those make you second rate. We all make bad decisions. Doesn't mean you can't make new ones.

Reactions: 4 users