All Branch Topic (ABT) Joining the military after finishing dental school with no hpsp scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOINGBALD42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know HPSP scholarship is most ideal to get because they will pay off all of your student debt. Do you know what type of benefits they offer after you finish dental school? Do they still offer a package where they will pay off your loans? Would it be financially smart move to join military after dental school especially with those who have 400k plus loans? Would love your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

They offer accession bonuses but depending on what school you attend it may not cover the cost of your loans. Definitely not if it's 400K+ that you owe.

Reactions: 1 user
They offer accession bonuses but depending on what school you attend it may not cover the cost of your loans. Definitely not if it's 400K+ that you owe.
so you recommend to just start working straight out of school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I might be wrong, but I read somewhere that accession bonus is somewhere around $200K-$250K.
If this is true, working for a private practice seems more beneficial... I guess.

If you would like more information, you can message me or contact a local Army recruiter: http://www.goarmy.com/amedd.html

You might also consider joining the Army Reserve which will allow you to have a civilian job and serve your country ~one weekend/month and 2 weeks/year; there is a $40k/yr loan repayment up to $250,000 for Army Reserve. If you'd like to talk financial incentives, let me know. Ultimately, no one (including the Army) can quickly undo $400k in loans. There is PSLF that you may want to consider if you work in the military or other qualifying job.

There are only a handful of openings each year for general dentists signing up after dental school. And, that signing bonus is taxable income.

Big Hoss

So you think it would be easier to get admitted? If I can do that then this decision would be a lot easier.

So you think it would be easier to get admitted? If I can do that then this decision would be a lot easier.
I'm not sure how competitive direct accessions are. I just know there aren't many positions to go around. Financially, it's not a great move if you have ridiculous student loans. You'd have to bank on PSLF being around when you're eligible (which may not be the case) as your only hope, which means serving for at least 10 years.

Big Hoss

From what I hear direct ascensions are becoming less and less of a thing because many dentists aren't leaving the military. I would consider looking into the National Guard or Army Reserves if you can.