Johns Hopkins Post-Bacc Health Science Intensive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just accepted today! Can anyone who has been accepted or attended message me... I have so many questions!
Same here!!! I have a TON of questions. I'm from California and I have never lived anywhere else. I'm not really sure how to function without my car and it doesn't seem like there are a lot of walkable housing options.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats to everyone who got in!
do you guys think it's too late for me to apply?
also, what do y'all think my chances are? 3.45 GPA, 27 MCAT, and decent ECs/research/clinical experiences.

Just looking to see if anyone has been accepted/deciding to go to the JHU HSI program for the 2014 summer entrance? I just got my acceptance earlier this week and have decided to attend!
Hey! I was just accepted for the summer 2014 start for the JHU HSI!

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here!!! I have a TON of questions. I'm from California and I have never lived anywhere else. I'm not really sure how to function without my car and it doesn't seem like there are a lot of walkable housing options.
I was just accepted into the program, and I know that the apartment complex "Decoverly" is within walking distance of the campus!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys so I'm also interested in the JH HSI program.. was wondering what you guys think of my chances.. it would help greatly in knowing whether to apply or not..
GPA- 3.15
MCAT 30+
extracurriculars - been exposed to the health field for years. Did a trip to yemen volunteering at a small clinic where healthcare is practically non-existent in that area besides that clinic. Go to various countries every year and help at local medical camps including kenya, india, sri lanka. Summer intern at a family clinic for the past 3 years. Volunteer in my hometown in various projects for the need and local community volunteering. So thats in the medical/voluneering field. Others include being a varsity player for my university. and various clubs/organizations.

I know my gpa is quite low, but i was wondering if there still could be a chance. any feedback is greatly appreciated. thanks

I was just accepted into the program, and I know that the apartment complex "Decoverly" is within walking distance of the campus!!

Hi! I was recently accepted into the program as well! Do you know if you need a car to get around the campus? I have so many questions and there's so little information out there!

Hi! I was recently accepted into the program as well! Do you know if you need a car to get around the campus? I have so many questions and there's so little information out there!
Rubenator13,

I dont think you need a car around campus, its pretty small from what Dr. Tan told me. I will know for sure driday exactly how it looks because I am going down for a visit and to lool at apartments. I'm not from the area, I'm from Pittsburgh, so I'm not 100% sure how large the campus is, or how big/small the surrounding town is. All i know is apartments are not cheap down there lol

Hey guys so I'm also interested in the JH HSI program.. was wondering what you guys think of my chances.. it would help greatly in knowing whether to apply or not..
GPA- 3.15
MCAT 30+
extracurriculars - been exposed to the health field for years. Did a trip to yemen volunteering at a small clinic where healthcare is practically non-existent in that area besides that clinic. Go to various countries every year and help at local medical camps including kenya, india, sri lanka. Summer intern at a family clinic for the past 3 years. Volunteer in my hometown in various projects for the need and local community volunteering. So thats in the medical/voluneering field. Others include being a varsity player for my university. and various clubs/organizations.

I know my gpa is quite low, but i was wondering if there still could be a chance. any feedback is greatly appreciated. thanks
Eb53,

Its worth a shot applying. I never even took my mcat prior to applying to this program. I would apply now though, classes start june 3rd i believe. I applied a couple weeks ago, scored an interview within a weekish, and was accepted 4 days after the interview. The program seems like it will be helpful to build your resume, the worst they can do is deny you, that was my outlook. I didnt even think i would get admitted to the program prior to applying

Rubenator13,

I dont think you need a car around campus, its pretty small from what Dr. Tan told me. I will know for sure driday exactly how it looks because I am going down for a visit and to lool at apartments. I'm not from the area, I'm from Pittsburgh, so I'm not 100% sure how large the campus is, or how big/small the surrounding town is. All i know is apartments are not cheap down there lol

Did you schedule the visit with anyone or just going to check out the campus? I was planning on going on Friday as well but I haven't heard back from Dr. Tan. I wish there was a way for all of the accepted students to talk to each other. June 1st is so close I need to find an apartment too!

Did you schedule the visit with anyone or just going to check out the campus? I was planning on going on Friday as well but I haven't heard back from Dr. Tan. I wish there was a way for all of the accepted students to talk to each other. June 1st is so close I need to find an apartment too!

I have a visit scheduled with a student that Dr. Tan is supposed to be setting up. It's in the afternoon around probably 3pm, you are more than welcome to come with! Just message me or something. I feel weird going for a tour, it's like high school college touring all over again lol. And I know Dr. Tan had said students would be able to talk to other students, but I haven't received anything from her aside from the info on the apartments at decoverly. I wanted to talk to other students so I could try finding a roommate to it down on living costs, since the area is so expensive

Hey guys, so there's a Facebook group just for the accepted students but I requested it a week ago and still haven't heard back so I haven't been able to talk to the other students yet! Is anyone looking for a roommate?? The more bedrooms in the apartment the cheaper it is for everyone so I was hoping to find 2 other people and get a 3 bedroom near campus :)

Hey guys, so there's a Facebook group just for the accepted students but I requested it a week ago and still haven't heard back so I haven't been able to talk to the other students yet! Is anyone looking for a roommate?? The more bedrooms in the apartment the cheaper it is for everyone so I was hoping to find 2 other people and get a 3 bedroom near campus :)

I was looking into rooms! If you look at decoverly, the apartment complex next to JHU, they have some nice 2-3 bedroom apartments! Its expensive, but would definitely be cheaper if there was more than one person! I want to Maybe find a roommate to cut the cost down.

I was looking into rooms! If you look at decoverly, the apartment complex next to JHU, they have some nice 2-3 bedroom apartments! Its expensive, but would definitely be cheaper if there was more than one person! I want to Maybe find a roommate to cut the cost down.
Actually, I lied, they only have 2 bedroom apartments, but if the rent was split it would be like $900/mo which is cheap for that area. Plus it's within walking distance of campus and the metro! I was approved for a single apartment, but yeah it's $1300/mo. I would definitely switch to a 2BR/2BA apartment if I could find a roommate because I feel like the $1300 is really steep. If anyone is interested, message me! I will be going down this Friday to look at the apartments and campus! :) Here is the link for the apartment complex I keep talking about. http://www.thevillagesatdecoverly.com/

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi geko,

I can't seem to find the Facebook group would you mind sending me a link I would love to join! Are you definitely going?

Eb53,

Its worth a shot applying. I never even took my mcat prior to applying to this program. I would apply now though, classes start june 3rd i believe. I applied a couple weeks ago, scored an interview within a weekish, and was accepted 4 days after the interview. The program seems like it will be helpful to build your resume, the worst they can do is deny you, that was my outlook. I didnt even think i would get admitted to the program prior to applying

Thanks. Actually i should've been more clear. Ill be graduating next may so this would be for the next term. Ill be applying to med schools right now and thought i should apply to some post bacc as well and see what I can get.

I was just accepted last week! So excited to be there and have so many questions. I think I'm going down to the Montgomery area on June 2 to look at apartments and am definitely looking for a roommate or two. I think Dr. Tan just needs to revive my check to add me into the Facebook group. Can't wait to meet everyone!

I was just accepted last week! So excited to be there and have so many questions. I think I'm going down to the Montgomery area on June 2 to look at apartments and am definitely looking for a roommate or two. I think Dr. Tan just needs to revive my check to add me into the Facebook group. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Congrats! But orientation is the 28th so June 2nd might be a little late to start looking for places! Just a heads up. If you want, I can add you to the Facebook group just message me your FB name. :)

I know that this program is new but has anyone heard what percentage of this program's students get accepted into Medical School after completion? Any chance to not have a gap year with this program?

what is the name of the facebook group?

I know that this program is new but has anyone heard what percentage of this program's students get accepted into Medical School after completion? Any chance to not have a gap year with this program?

This program is very new. The first class is still completing their program so there are really no stats yet on med school acceptances. But I've spoken to some of those students and they feel that it is a great addition on their application. The name looks good too.

Reactions: 1 users
i am looking for the facebook group too!

Hey guys, I was just accepted into the program too. Its a really tough decision between this program and other typical post bac smp programs. does anyone have any information about this program and how it is viewed compared to other post bacs where the classes are the same as first year medical school classes?

Hey guys, I was just accepted into the program too. Its a really tough decision between this program and other typical post bac smp programs. does anyone have any information about this program and how it is viewed compared to other post bacs where the classes are the same as first year medical school classes?

@DrMidlife gave me the below advice about this program compared to an SMP program
"Not an SMP. There are thousands of one-year masters programs that are not SMPs. The "S" in SMP means you're taking med school classes with med school students, which adcoms can understand fairly easily, and the only point of an SMP is to get you into med school. Hopkins' biotech masters is actually useful and gives you employable skills, but if you need an SMP to get into med school then it's not a good choice.

Programs like this (and Dartmouth's TDI, the other Hopkins masters, NIH IRTA, etc) are good if your stats are already fine. Adcoms don't have to judge whether the transcript counterbalances your low stats, they just see a high powered academicky EC."

Does anyone know if they're still sending out interview invites? Thanks!

Actually, I lied, they only have 2 bedroom apartments, but if the rent was split it would be like $900/mo which is cheap for that area. Plus it's within walking distance of campus and the metro! I was approved for a single apartment, but yeah it's $1300/mo. I would definitely switch to a 2BR/2BA apartment if I could find a roommate because I feel like the $1300 is really steep. If anyone is interested, message me! I will be going down this Friday to look at the apartments and campus! :) Here is the link for the apartment complex I keep talking about. http://www.thevillagesatdecoverly.com/

Hello! I just got accepted and I am interested. Are you still looking for roommates?

A general question: The classes in this program are just graduate level courses, right? Not medical school. If all you need is to make up for a truly low uGPA, is this a good program to do? Or is it more of a general resume booster? I'm under the impression that a formal SMP is better for convincing adcoms you can handle medical school coursework.

Hi everyone

So I am new to SND as well; I specifically joined SND to ask about this program. So here I am! I am really interested in the HSI program at Johns Hopkins. From the information that I have gathered so far, I feel it would help me enhance my academic profile and make me a more competitive applicant for medical school. My goal was to go to medical school straight from college but I do not think that will be possible for me because my academic profile is not as strong as I would have liked it to be/good enough to make me a competitive applicant. So I am looking for good programs to help me build a stronger profile to get into medical school. I would be ecstatic if I could get into HSI at JHU.

I wanted to know what my chances are as of now and what I should be doing to stand out as an applicant to increase my chances of acceptance.

Some specifics.

1. I am an Art major, taking all required pre med classes for acceptance into post bacc/medical school.
2. I am anticipating my cumulative GPA to be 3.6/3.7 (unfortunately I do not think my science GPA will be up to par, as of now I am anticipating it will probably end up being around 3.2)
3. I have had to retake some of my pre-med classes; second time around I got an A in the classes I retook. (I had a rough start when I began college.)
4. I will be taking my MCAT in a month, anticipated score of 32-34.
5. I am currently researching in a lab; by the time I graduate I will have worked there for 2 years.
6. I will have shadowing experience by the time I apply.
7. Not sure how relevant this is, but I also have 13 years of classical dance experience.

I still have a boat load of questions regarding the program and I was wondering if anyone who has gotten accepted would be willing message me to fill me in on the countless questions I have. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Kind regards,
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

*Sorry for the lengthy post.

Last edited:
I'm applying for Summer 2015, if anyone who was accepted could message me I have a few questions for you. Please and thanks.

I'm applying for Summer 2015, if anyone who was accepted could message me I have a few questions for you. Please and thanks.

I am also hoping to apply for Summer 2015!

Here is some info about me: I have 4 years of shadowing, 1 year of research during my time off, plenty of leadership positions, and work experience under my belt.

I feel this type of program will help me tremendously. I definitely need more time to progress in terms of academics. Although I cannot change my past grades and situation I hope to do extremely well in this program to help my chances.

Hopefully others can share their stats as well. Do I have a chance? Should I even bother applying?

Last edited:
I am also hoping to apply for Summer 2015!

Here is some info about me:

I graduated undergrad in 2013 with a BS in Biology and a Chemistry minor with a 3.16 cGPA and a little bit above 3.0 sGPA . I have 4 years of shadowing, 1 year of research during my time off, plenty of leadership positions, and work experience under my belt.

I feel this type of program will help me tremendously. I definitely need more time to progress in terms of academics. Although I cannot change my past grades and situation I hope to do extremely well in this program to help my chances.

Hopefully others can share their stats as well. Do I have a chance? Should I even bother applying?

Hey! I'm looking to apply for 2015, as well :) Do you happen to know when we can apply? I've opened up an application to begin, but I could not find the HSI program listed.

A little about me:

I graduated this past May with a BSc in Accounting. I had a 3.69 cGPA and a 3.67 sGPA. I never had the opportunity to do any research/shadowing during undergrad due to part-time jobs and volunteering. I'm currently working to pay towards some of these student loans before I begin school again!

Hey! I'm looking to apply for 2015, as well :) Do you happen to know when we can apply? I've opened up an application to begin, but I could not find the HSI program listed.

A little about me:

I graduated this past May with a BSc in Accounting. I had a 3.69 cGPA and a 3.67 sGPA. I never had the opportunity to do any research/shadowing during undergrad due to part-time jobs and volunteering. I'm currently working to pay towards some of these student loans before I begin school again!
Just a few words of advice- Don't do this program. It's expensive as hell and it guarantees nothing (except a masters in biotech.. which will mean nothing when you're a doctor).

Your GPA is good enough for med school. Take the MCAT (if you haven't already) and apply to med schools next round after you get your hands dirty with some research and clinical experience. Start working on those things now, all it takes is the initiative to get your foot in the door. Save the 50k+ you would spend on this program and take a good MCAT prep course to make sure you nail it.

If you're hell bent on doing a program, look into one with lower cost and higher yield.

Just a few words of advice- Don't do this program. It's expensive as hell and it guarantees nothing (except a masters in biotech.. which will mean nothing when you're a doctor).

Your GPA is good enough for med school. Take the MCAT (if you haven't already) and apply to med schools next round after you get your hands dirty with some research and clinical experience. Start working on those things now, all it takes is the initiative to get your foot in the door. Save the 50k+ you would spend on this program and take a good MCAT prep course to make sure you nail it.

If you're hell bent on doing a program, look into one with lower cost and higher yield.
I would agree with not doing this program if you're just looking for research/shadowing because thats something you can do on your own time. I disagree that you should choose a different program. Of course look into your options and find the best fit for you. I personally like the program and think its better than others I was accepted into.

A little about me:

You should be able to find the HSI program listed. I have begun my application but just waiting on my MCAT scores when I take it in Jan. May I ask why you plan to apply to the program? You have amazing stats! I would say to take the MCAT and look for shadowing/research opportunities during your gap year(s).

I just submitted my application for the summer class. my Stats are as follows
MCAT25
GPA 3.84
sGPA 3.65
Could others in my shoes who have been interviewed or accepted please respond to this and let me know how things went and what to expect from here.
I'm really looking forward to continuing my Education at Hopkins and the possibilities that will bring with Medical School

I just submitted my application for the summer class. my Stats are as follows
MCAT25
GPA 3.84
sGPA 3.65
Could others in my shoes who have been interviewed or accepted please respond to this and let me know how things went and what to expect from here.
I'm really looking forward to continuing my Education at Hopkins and the possibilities that will bring with Medical School

Why? Why?

Sounds like the better option, but I already tried that without success. I really need the support and tools this particular program offer, especially extra curricular opportunities that would strengthen my next application for Medical School.

i applied about 4 weeks ago and have to hear about an interview but i called and they said to expect a 4-6 week timeframe for responses. so in the waiting game with ya

I had my interview last Tuesday, just waiting to hear if I get a accepted or not...

I had my interview last Tuesday, just waiting to hear if I get a accepted or not...
Awesome, it's nice to hear from someone applying to the program. How long ago did you apply? What was the interview like if you don't mind the questions?

Awesome, it's nice to hear from someone applying to the program. How long ago did you apply? What was the interview like if you don't mind the questions?
I submitted my application 2/09. The skype interview was pretty straightforward, they give you an opportunity to ask questions and then ask you around three. I think mine went well but not 1000% sure she loved me.

I submitted my application 2/09. The skype interview was pretty straightforward, they give you an opportunity to ask questions and then ask you around three. I think mine went well but not 1000% sure she loved me.
Oh it's a Skype interview? That's different. Would you mind sharing your stats, just so I can gauge where I might be... Are you in the same situation as me, applying to med school and post bacs?

Oh it's a Skype interview? That's different. Would you mind sharing your stats, just so I can gauge where I might be... Are you in the same situation as me, applying to med school and post bacs?
No only post-baccs for now. My uGPA is 3.51. I'm a PA. And my GRE is abysmal haha. So we'll see what happens I guess.

No only post-baccs for now. My uGPA is 3.51. I'm a PA. And my GRE is abysmal haha. So we'll see what happens I guess.
Yep, all we can do wait. Good luck! Was the 2/9 the date it says you submitted it or completed it. Mine says I submitted on 1/22 and completed on 2/6

Good luck!
Thanks! I'm really excited for this program. Hopefully we both get in! What type of interview questions did they ask? Should I be reviewing past research or other parts of my resume? The interview is so close that I feel it's not gonna be as intense as a med school interview. Not sure how to prepare.

Thanks! I'm really excited for this program. Hopefully we both get in! What type of interview questions did they ask? Should I be reviewing past research or other parts of my resume? The interview is so close that I feel it's not gonna be as intense as a med school interview. Not sure how to prepare.
Really only asked me three questions, what I wanted the committee to know about me, why I wanted to be a doctor, and one to two sentences I'd tell a medical school to get them to accept me if that's all they could have. Just know questions that you want to ask them about the program, don't go in empty handed!

Reactions: 1 users