Johns Hopkins Post-Bacc Health Science Intensive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paswonky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, a general disclaimer: this is my first time posting on SDN, so I apologize if I violate any unspoken rules of SDN etiquette; I promise that any such breach of conduct is completely unintentional and welcome constructive criticism if I do screw anything up.

Anyway, I couldn't find any posts about this particular JHU masters program, which I am hoping is either because the program is new this year (2013-2014) or because I am not very good at browsing SDN yet, and not due to lack of interest.

Like other JHU MS in biotechnology degree programs, the HSI is offered through the JHU's Advanced Academic Programs (AAP) in the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences. I have read mixed reviews on the difficulty/value of Hopkins' AAP as a whole (on SDN and other sites), but I was intrigued that the HSI program is a) is run by the same program director who now runs the Johns Hopkins Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program (for "career-changers"), which seems to be viewed overall as a particularly strong program, but b) is specifically aimed at enhancing the medical school application of students who have already taken the prerequisite classes (as is the case for me.)

So, I was wondering if anyone else on here has also applied to, has any opinions about, or has even heard of Hopkins' Post-Bacc HSI? As this will be the program's inaugural year, I'm having a hard time evaluating how effective this program would be for me. While I know that my needs may be very different from that of the next post-bacc applicant, I was hoping that a few of you guys might have also applied (or considered applying) and would be willing to share your thoughts about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey paswonky,

I applied to the HSI program and got accepted a couple of weeks ago. I accepted their invitation to join the program. I had a lot of the same concerns you did during the app process. I was worried about whether this program was really worth it, for just one year, and whether it would significantly improve my med school application. After having my interview with Dr. Tan, the program coordinator, I felt much better about applying/attending this program based on my particular situation. You said it yourself, she also coordinates the JHU premedical program, which is well renowned and helps a lot of students get into med school. So she must know what she's doing and it definitely seems like she has her student's best interests.

I did my undergrad at UMBC with a BS in Biology. My cumulative GPA was 3.6 and my science was 3.5. So my gpa was ok, but it was not up to the level of a 3.7, 3.8 and above. I took the MCAT in January and got a 27 (PS:11; BS:10; VR: 6), without taking a prep course. And I really don't have too many extracurriculars. I worked for one summer at a neurology clinic. Since I graduated last May, I've been volunteering at my local hospital, garnering 350 hours so far. And I was in a few clubs at college, where I would participate in different events every now and then.

So to summarize my grades are ok (but not up to par, at least for MD schools), I did poor on my MCAT, I have limited clinical experiences and no research experience. And I did not hold any leadership positions at college. So after considering all this and speaking with my premed adviser and others, I decided to apply to some post-bacc programs, specifically one year masters programs because I did well in most of my pre-med requirements, with a few exceptions.

While looking through the HSI website, there were many aspects of the program I liked, compared to the SMP program at Gtown or the master's program at Michigan. First, was the courses being offered in the HSI program. I mentioned before that I did alright when it comes to my premed requirements so I definitely did not want to retake premed classes all over again for the next year or so. The HSI program is offering high level science courses such as biochem, cell, and other higher level electives. I have already taken biochem and cell at UMBC, and earned As in both. Of course, since this is JHU and a master's program, I definitely think the courses will go into more detail and be more challenging and rigorous compared to the undergrad courses. Dr. Tan also told me that master's gpa tends to carry more weight than your undergrad gpa if you do well in the program. So I saw this as a great opportunity to improve my gpa and reinforce my pre-existing knowledge in these subjects.

Also, the HSI program is going to provide an MCAT prep course. I did not do as well as I was expecting on my MCAT, specifically with that horrible verbal score. So hopefully the prep course will provide me with different strategies and tactics so I can do better on the retake. This was another plus for me.

Also, when I had my interview with Dr. Tan, she mentioned the different affiliations the program has with various hospitals, research companies/labs, government agencies and doctors. Through these affiliations, there are a plethora of opportunities to engage in research, get a job in industry, or engage in shadowing or volunteer activities in the community. This was a huge plus as well because I potentially have numerous opportunities to get involved and gain experience in different areas of medicine.

Plus, the program is going to help students throughout the med school app process via interview workshops, personal statement workshops, advising sessions, and etc, something the other post-bacc programs don't offer.

So for my particular situation, I thought this program was the perfect match to help improve my weak areas, reinforce my strengths, and ultimately prepare me to become a competitive and successful med school applicant by next year. All I can say is it all depends on your situation. If you're only looking to greatly improve your gpa, you may be better off applying to a postbacc premedical program. If you're only looking to improve your MCAT, you may be better off just signing up for a prep course with Kaplan or PR, instead spending $35,000 on tuition. If you're only looking to gain new experiences, then you'll probably be successful finding these opportunities on your own. But if you're looking to improve in all these areas, then this is most likely the program for you!

So I hope I was able to be of some help for you. Sorry I went overboard with my post lol. It's just that I was also looking for other people's opinion on this program, but I couldn't find a damn thing. Then I came across your post and you were in the same boat as me. So I just wanted to provide some of my insight about the program for you.

Good luck with your decision! If there's anything else, just let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey! Definitely no need to apologize for going 'overboard' - I really appreciate the feedback! It sounds like you had a lot of the same thoughts/concerns I do. I visited the campus last week and met with Dr. Tan in person, and I really loved everything I saw and learned about the program. Everyone I met -- even one professor who just happened to be in her office working on the upcoming syllabus -- just seemed so genuinely excited about the program... it was infectious, to say the least. For me, the only major remaining drawbacks are the distance from home (Ohio for me) and the price tag, but that may just be something I have to suck up and deal with haha.

Anyway, thanks so much for taking the time to reply! Just out of curiosity, did you join the facebook group for the incoming class? (feel free to PM me back instead of replying here, if you'd rather).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would LOVE to know more about this program. It seems like a great fit for me although I am not up to par on the sort of stats stated by sc736. I live fairly close to the Montgomery campus as well so it'd be an easy transition.

Would you be able to tell us more about it? I see that the classes have started just now and I was wondering if you would be able to let us know what you think of it so far and what sort of background the matriculates possess.

Greetings All, I applied to both Goucher and Hopkins. I am a 52 year old non-trad. My GPA at the end of my Graduate years in 1996 was 3.63. I have 18 years of clinical experience as a psychiatric social worker in many different settings, including hospital social work. Goucher rejected me immediately. I did get offered a SKYPE interview with JHU. I completed that on Friday, and am anxiously awaiting to hear if I will receive an invite to interview on campus. I was able to find many, many threads, articles, videos, etc on med school interviews, but next to nothing in regards to post bacc interviews. I know JHU gets up to 1500 applications for their post-bacc program and about 80 or so students are offered a SKYPE. What I do not know is how many get invited to interview on campus. I know the final accepted class is about 30. The interview was like nothing I had ever experienced, and I have interviewed for many jobs, colleges, etc. I was very prepared to discuss my interest in the research work of the psychiatry chair, had my resume' on hand, had my PS on hand ( and memorized) and was ready to defend why I wanted this program. Instead I was asked the standard - Why do you want to go into medicine - which I think I did OK on. What are your learning styles?- thought on my feet on that one, but think I did OK. Tell me about a time you overcame something. Multitude of examples in my head, but I think I chose a good one. Of course, what questions do you have of us? - I spoke at length about research opportunities. - but I had covered a great deal of what I wanted to know in emails over the last two years. The one that completely threw me was " You can only apply to ONE med school. You are in front of the committee - they do not have your application, MCAT, PS, Resume, nothing. State in 1 or 2 sentences why this school should admit you. Blew me away. How on earth do I compress three degrees, 30 years of clinical experience, and 50 years of life experience into 2 sentences. I felt like I was trying to write a HAIKU, and I am not that type of writer. The interview ended after that question, and I felt as if I never got to say anything I truly had wanted to say. No idea how it all turned out, but am waiting to hear. If I do not get to interview again, I am just grateful to have had a chance to be in the 80 - it means someone, somewhere will take me.

Reactions: 2 users
9675Flamingo, first off, I think you're posting in the wrong thread. There are two types of postbacs:
1) for people who have not taken premed classes
2) for people who have taken premed classes, but didn't do too brilliantly and need to boost their credentials.

The thread is about the latter, but you are writing about the former. Just an FYI, in case you don't get any other responses.

Anyway, congratulations on your interview. It sounds like you got stumped by the standard, "so, why should I hire you" question asking for your elevator pitch. I did get asked that during my postbac and med school interviews, and I'm pretty sure I rambled each time as well. So, don't worry too much - you'd be surprised at how succinct you probably sounded. Don't despair. Plenty of other people have been stumped by a question.

They interviewed you, so you already passed most of their hurdles for interest and eligibility. You were fine with the big question of "why medicine", which is surely an even more important question at your age. Sounds like you alleviated any concerns they might have about your age - ability to keep up with the material, willingness to listen to significantly younger faculty as a student, no signs of Alzheimers, etc.

In future, at your med school interviews, it's fine to basically answer, "well, how many 53-year-old psychiatric social workers with three kids, a wookiee and a desire to go into academic psychiatry are you ever going to have? I'd be a great mentor, but I'm still keen as mustard to learn all I can from the faculty - even if they're all 30 years younger than me [insert self-effacing chuckle], and I'd certainly bring an unusual perspective from my life experiences such as my bout of boneitis". It's more or less stating the obvious impression they're going to have of you.

And that's the thing: the elevator-pitch question is great for cookie-cutter 23-year-olds to leave an impression, but I'm sure JHU will already have thought of you as "the 52-year psychiatric social worker with three degrees, 30 years of clinical experience and 50 years of life experience" before the interview even started. With someone like you, the uniqueness is obvious. So, I wouldn't worry about your answer to that question.

Thank you Goucher 2013.

I posted here, because after multiple searches, using multiple search strings, I was unable to FIND a thread for Johns Hopkins Post Bacc for career changers, and was ONLY able to locate this thread. Threw my egg in the only basket available. Of course, we could start a new thread......

Only 2 kids, both grown, and a Wiki, not a Wookie ( see youtube video of Wiki doing the Harlem Shake). No boneitis. Exceptionally healthy. No meds. Can hold my own in a Yoga class.

I do agree.....you are right that I have a corner on the unique department....

: )

Reactions: 1 user
Just looking to see if anyone has been accepted/deciding to go to the JHU HSI program for the 2014 summer entrance? I just got my acceptance earlier this week and have decided to attend!

Hey advice, I just decided to attend also! I guess we will be classmates!

Hey advice22 and mediclo,

I'm interested in the Johns Hopkins HSI program but am unsure whether my stats can get me in. I'm planning on applying now, which maybe too late. :(

Here are my stats
Science GPA: 3.6
Overall GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 1st 27 (11PS, 7VR, 9BS), 2nd 23 (10PS, 5VR, 8BS)

What do you think?

Besides that, they want two recommendations (one from an instructor and another recommended from a supervisor in the field of medicine). I can get one from my past college professor. However, I was thinking of getting my second from my current boss since he knows my work ethics well. The problem is my current boss is a material science researcher and doesn't work in medicine. Will this hinder me?

Thank you in advance.

Just looking to see if anyone has been accepted/deciding to go to the JHU HSI program for the 2014 summer entrance? I just got my acceptance earlier this week and have decided to attend!
Hey advice, I just decided to attend also! I guess we will be classmates!

Congratulations! How long after your applications were complete did you get your acceptances? I'm still waiting to hear back and mine was completed 2 months ago.

Congratulations! How long after your applications were complete did you get your acceptances? I'm still waiting to hear back and mine was completed 2 months ago.

Thank you uncwgrad2013! I submitted my application towards the end of September and heard back for an interview just before Thanksgiving, and the final acceptance was made early December the first week. Good luck! I'm sure you'll hear back soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey advice22 and mediclo,

I'm interested in the Johns Hopkins HSI program but am unsure whether my stats can get me in. I'm planning on applying now, which maybe too late. :(

Here are my stats
Science GPA: 3.6
Overall GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 1st 27 (11PS, 7VR, 9BS), 2nd 23 (10PS, 5VR, 8BS)

What do you think?

Besides that, they want two recommendations (one from an instructor and another recommended from a supervisor in the field of medicine). I can get one from my past college professor. However, I was thinking of getting my second from my current boss since he knows my work ethics well. The problem is my current boss is a material science researcher and doesn't work in medicine. Will this hinder me?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Magnuso529! Your stats aren't low, and there is a good chance you can get in. I would still apply and complete the application as soon as possible because obviously the earlier its submitted the better your chances are. You never know what could happen, and the admissions committee may like your application and want you to attend.

As far as recommendations, I think having one from a supervisor in the medical field will be better than a current boss. They want to see that you have had some experience working/shadowing in the medical field. I don't see it hindering you, but I also don't see it being a great advantage. It would definitely be better to get one from a physician or someone in a healthcare profession. Hope this helps, and best of luck!

You guys think it being john hopkins gives you an advantage? i am thinking of applying. But i dont want another gap year.

Thank you uncwgrad2013! I submitted my application towards the end of September and heard back for an interview just before Thanksgiving, and the final acceptance was made early December the first week. Good luck! I'm sure you'll hear back soon!

I just received an interview invitation today! If you are willing, is there anything you could tell me about it? I am not sure what to expect with this kind of interview, especially since its via Skype. I appreciate it!

Hi Magnuso529! Your stats aren't low, and there is a good chance you can get in. I would still apply and complete the application as soon as possible because obviously the earlier its submitted the better your chances are. You never know what could happen, and the admissions committee may like your application and want you to attend.

As far as recommendations, I think having one from a supervisor in the medical field will be better than a current boss. They want to see that you have had some experience working/shadowing in the medical field. I don't see it hindering you, but I also don't see it being a great advantage. It would definitely be better to get one from a physician or someone in a healthcare profession. Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Thanks a lot advice22.

Great! Looks like it'll be a great program :) Are you from the area?

Sorry about the late reply.. I totally forgot about this thread... anyways, I am actually from California, and have never even been to Baltimore! Pretty exciting stuff.. are you from near there?

I just received an interview invitation today! If you are willing, is there anything you could tell me about it? I am not sure what to expect with this kind of interview, especially since its via Skype. I appreciate it!

Not sure if you had your interview yet.. but it is a pretty straightforward interview. She really wanted to know what kind of student you are/have been/will be. It will be a good time for you to reflect back on your academic career, and see what you need to do to be a better candidate for medical school!

Thanks a lot advice22.

And Magnus, my GPA was a little below yours (3.4/3.5), and my mcat was a little above :) (30+) so you should be fine.

Hey Advice 22 (or anyone else who knows!) :

I am currently a senior, getting my bachelors in neuroscience in May. I literally just submitted my application to JH HSI program tonight; however, It will probably take some time for my transcripts/scores to get there since I ordered them about 5 days ago.

My stats:
3.65 (have gotten 3.9 the past 3 semesters)
Science GPA 3.4 (not including my neuroscience classes)
I've shadowed a few physicians , volunteered at a hospital, 1 semester of research... no crazy good extracurriculars
Had the physician I shadowed and professor I've had for several courses write my letters

Do you think I have a chance of getting in especially cause my app is so late?

thanks!

@kimberlys

I finished my app late December and got accepted last week, so I don't think you should have an issue with time.

The major concern I would have about your application is have you applied to med school before? You didn't include your MCAT score in your brief little bio there. During my interview, Dr. Tan said it was important that I've applied unsuccessfully in the past.

@fuscia really? Damn! I Wish I had known that, I have not applied nor have I taken the MCAT

Hey, just got accepted to the program. Was wondering if anyone had any feedback on how competitive the program is, since it is a new program. Maybe a compare and contrast to the well known BU MAMs program.

@kimberlys Yes! I am currently waiting back to hear from a few schools for this cycle. But I am doubtful I will be accepted this cycle.

@advice22 and @mediclo have you guys heard anything regarding the reputation of the program besides being at Johns Hopkins? or of the type/tier of med schools students get into after completing this program.

@Medmember Is it true they only accept those who have already applied and failed? I didn't even take my MCAT yet but don't think I'll get in to med scool first try

@Medmember hey, I haven't heard much about it, and there really aren't any information out there because the first class hasn't even finished their program yet. Are you deciding between a few different post bacc programs? I actually only applied to this program.

Hey Advice 22 (or anyone else who knows!) :

I am currently a senior, getting my bachelors in neuroscience in May. I literally just submitted my application to JH HSI program tonight; however, It will probably take some time for my transcripts/scores to get there since I ordered them about 5 days ago.

My stats:
3.65 (have gotten 3.9 the past 3 semesters)
Science GPA 3.4 (not including my neuroscience classes)
I've shadowed a few physicians , volunteered at a hospital, 1 semester of research... no crazy good extracurriculars
Had the physician I shadowed and professor I've had for several courses write my letters

Do you think I have a chance of getting in especially cause my app is so late?

thanks!
Hey! I think you can get into the JH program without previously taking the MCAT. Although, I would strongly suggest that you take the MCAT and try to apply to med schools before you consider a post-bacc program. Post-bacc programs will tend to accept students who have previously applied to med school but have not been accepted, so your chances of acceptance may be low but I would not discourage you from applying to the JH program because you really never know what they will decide! Hope this helps :)

@advice22 and @mediclo have you guys heard anything regarding the reputation of the program besides being at Johns Hopkins? or of the type/tier of med schools students get into after completing this program.

I haven't really heard much about this particular program since it is so new. However, I have heard lots of great things about Dr. Tan and she has experience helping pre-med students get into medical school. At the end of the day it also depends on how well you perform obviously. But, I would like to think that a school like Johns Hopkins has a good reputation of making its students succeed.

@advice22

I submitted in January and wanted to see, in your opinion, how I would stand towards possible acceptance into the JHU HSI program.

Personal Background:
First in my family to attend and graduate college. Mother immigrated from a latin country so that I could have a better life and educational opportunities not available to her - she was forced to drop out in middle school.

Stats:
Undergrad: 2.91 GPA (Graduated a few years ago)
Graduate: Taking Ph.D. level science coursework (one completed so far) but will have two more classes completed this term (non-traditional student at a top 25 research university)
MCAT: 25 (6V, 8PS, 11BS) May 2013, retake: 31 (10V, 12PS, 9BS) July 2013
Experience:
Research - Full-time salaried research position at a top medical institution since July 2012 (Currently on the way to 4 research manuscripts), research presented at a national meeting, awarded an NIH research grant for a substantial amount of funds, present data at small research meeting regularly, also participated in undergraduate research for a couple of years and interned in private industry for a pre-clinical research site (30hrs/wk for 6mnths - unpaid)
Clinical - Over 1,000hrs of paid direct patient care, over 150 hours of volunteer clinical work, and over 140hrs of shadowing.
Volunteer: Multiple activities involved with working with disadvantaged populations, managed a meal-line set up to provide meals to homeless individuals, and provide advice to undergraduates in research. Have also fundraised for a cause I and a couple of colleagues have developed.

Applied to medical school in the past and wait-listed and am currently on the way to most likely be wait-listed again.

This is a more concise representation - I can let you know more if you wish - but let me know what you think. This is definitely a program that would be very useful to for further exposure in medicine and biomedical education. I agree with the comments noted about the program from other posters and I also received a good feeling from speaking with the admissions staff on the education being presented and volunteer opportunities that are being developed.

Your stats after undergrad are definitely impressive. I think you have decent chance of getting in, however, your undergrad GPA is on the lower end, but hopefully your PhD level classes and MCAT will compensate for that. It may take some time for you to hear back, but I definitely wouldn't be discouraged if I were you. Plus you have previously applied to med school so getting into a program like this would be advantageous to you. If I were you, I would also apply to other post-bacc programs to ensure your med school application can be strengthened. Hope this helps!

if there are any current HSI students on this, can you please PM me. Thank you

Congratulations to everyone accepted! I wasn't accepted to the HSI, but I was offered admission to the MS in Biotechnology, non-concentration program. I met with my advisor a few weeks ago about the potential of transferring into the HSI program and it looks like a definite possibility. That said, I've got a few questions for you all:

1. Is there anyone out there in the same position as me?
2. I know that the first cohort of the program is currently in their Spring semester - is anyone (or do any of you know) a current JHU HSI students who transferred from within another Biotechnology concentration like I'm planning on doing?
3. My advisor told me to sign up next week for the same classes as the HSI students, regardless of my current concentration status. Are any of you accepteess interested in meeting up before classes start in June? Any natives of DC/Nova out there?
4. Are there any current Johns Hopkins Biotechnology students (HSI, or otherwise) who could tell me a bit about their personal experience with the program?

Feel free to PM me if that's easiest. Thanks!

@GoodNoise I am anxiously waiting my decision...how long did it take for you to hear back? Have you applied to medical school? were your stats good?

Hello, everyone. I've already applied (~1 month ago), but still waiting to hear back. I switched my focus from Business (Accounting) to Pre-med late sophomore year, but I still managed to finish all my pre-req's and some upper level bio electives and graduate in 4 yrs. I'm thinking that enrolling in some kind of Post-Bacc / SMP before medical school will be better for me in the long run.

Even though I already applied, here are my stats; any feedback (about my chances of interview / acceptance) from future/current students would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Overall GPA: 3.4 // SciGPA: 3.2 // SAT: 2230
3 rec letters: 1) chemistry teacher whose class I excelled in and who basically introduced me to pre-med; 2) upper level biology teacher whose class I excelled in and TA'ed for; 3) ethics professor
Plenty of volunteer and clinical experience (shadowing and EMT). But no research and no official MCAT; I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August / September, and I've been getting 25~28 on practices.

I think my [lack of] MCAT is my main worry right now; I'm hoping my SAT will be enough to get noticed (even if it is ~5 yrs old). Thoughts?

Hey paswonky,

I applied to the HSI program and got accepted a couple of weeks ago. I accepted their invitation to join the program. I had a lot of the same concerns you did during the app process. I was worried about whether this program was really worth it, for just one year, and whether it would significantly improve my med school application. After having my interview with Dr. Tan, the program coordinator, I felt much better about applying/attending this program based on my particular situation. You said it yourself, she also coordinates the JHU premedical program, which is well renowned and helps a lot of students get into med school. So she must know what she's doing and it definitely seems like she has her student's best interests.

I did my undergrad at UMBC with a BS in Biology. My cumulative GPA was 3.6 and my science was 3.5. So my gpa was ok, but it was not up to the level of a 3.7, 3.8 and above. I took the MCAT in January and got a 27 (PS:11; BS:10; VR: 6), without taking a prep course. And I really don't have too many extracurriculars. I worked for one summer at a neurology clinic. Since I graduated last May, I've been volunteering at my local hospital, garnering 350 hours so far. And I was in a few clubs at college, where I would participate in different events every now and then.

So to summarize my grades are ok (but not up to par, at least for MD schools), I did poor on my MCAT, I have limited clinical experiences and no research experience. And I did not hold any leadership positions at college. So after considering all this and speaking with my premed adviser and others, I decided to apply to some post-bacc programs, specifically one year masters programs because I did well in most of my pre-med requirements, with a few exceptions.

While looking through the HSI website, there were many aspects of the program I liked, compared to the SMP program at Gtown or the master's program at Michigan. First, was the courses being offered in the HSI program. I mentioned before that I did alright when it comes to my premed requirements so I definitely did not want to retake premed classes all over again for the next year or so. The HSI program is offering high level science courses such as biochem, cell, and other higher level electives. I have already taken biochem and cell at UMBC, and earned As in both. Of course, since this is JHU and a master's program, I definitely think the courses will go into more detail and be more challenging and rigorous compared to the undergrad courses. Dr. Tan also told me that master's gpa tends to carry more weight than your undergrad gpa if you do well in the program. So I saw this as a great opportunity to improve my gpa and reinforce my pre-existing knowledge in these subjects.

Also, the HSI program is going to provide an MCAT prep course. I did not do as well as I was expecting on my MCAT, specifically with that horrible verbal score. So hopefully the prep course will provide me with different strategies and tactics so I can do better on the retake. This was another plus for me.

Also, when I had my interview with Dr. Tan, she mentioned the different affiliations the program has with various hospitals, research companies/labs, government agencies and doctors. Through these affiliations, there are a plethora of opportunities to engage in research, get a job in industry, or engage in shadowing or volunteer activities in the community. This was a huge plus as well because I potentially have numerous opportunities to get involved and gain experience in different areas of medicine.

Plus, the program is going to help students throughout the med school app process via interview workshops, personal statement workshops, advising sessions, and etc, something the other post-bacc programs don't offer.

So for my particular situation, I thought this program was the perfect match to help improve my weak areas, reinforce my strengths, and ultimately prepare me to become a competitive and successful med school applicant by next year. All I can say is it all depends on your situation. If you're only looking to greatly improve your gpa, you may be better off applying to a postbacc premedical program. If you're only looking to improve your MCAT, you may be better off just signing up for a prep course with Kaplan or PR, instead spending $35,000 on tuition. If you're only looking to gain new experiences, then you'll probably be successful finding these opportunities on your own. But if you're looking to improve in all these areas, then this is most likely the program for you!

So I hope I was able to be of some help for you. Sorry I went overboard with my post lol. It's just that I was also looking for other people's opinion on this program, but I couldn't find a damn thing. Then I came across your post and you were in the same boat as me. So I just wanted to provide some of my insight about the program for you.

Could you tell me if your advisor said anything about the linkage program for HSI students? Thanks

Congratulations to everyone accepted! I wasn't accepted to the HSI, but I was offered admission to the MS in Biotechnology, non-concentration program. I met with my advisor a few weeks ago about the potential of transferring into the HSI program and it looks like a definite possibility. That said, I've got a few questions for you all:

1. Is there anyone out there in the same position as me?
2. I know that the first cohort of the program is currently in their Spring semester - is anyone (or do any of you know) a current JHU HSI students who transferred from within another Biotechnology concentration like I'm planning on doing?
3. My advisor told me to sign up next week for the same classes as the HSI students, regardless of my current concentration status. Are any of you accepteess interested in meeting up before classes start in June? Any natives of DC/Nova out there?
4. Are there any current Johns Hopkins Biotechnology students (HSI, or otherwise) who could tell me a bit about their personal experience with the program?

Feel free to PM me if that's easiest. Thanks!

What does your acceptance letter read? Mine says "Admitted as a Degree candidate to the Master of Science in Bio-Technology program with a concentration in Health Science Intensive"

Hey paswonky,

SC736, you will be completing the MS-HSI program this year, correct? Would you pls share what you are currently doing? Have you applied to Medical schools and received acceptances? Would appreciate any tips you can provide. Thanks

Hey! Definitely no need to apologize for going 'overboard' - I really appreciate the feedback! It sounds like you had a lot of the same thoughts/concerns I do. I visited the campus last week and met with Dr. Tan in person, and I really loved everything I saw and learned about the program. Everyone I met -- even one professor who just happened to be in her office working on the upcoming syllabus -- just seemed so genuinely excited about the program... it was infectious, to say the least. For me, the only major remaining drawbacks are the distance from home (Ohio for me) and the price tag, but that may just be something I have to suck up and deal with haha.

Anyway, thanks so much for taking the time to reply! Just out of curiosity, did you join the facebook group for the incoming class? (feel free to PM me back instead of replying here, if you'd rather).

paswonky, you will be completing the HSI program this year correct? Would you kindly share whether you applied to Medical Schools and received acceptances? I heard that the linkage program is not offered to HSI students.. is this true?

I specifically asked Dr. Tan about this. No linkage.

fuscia, are you joining the HSI program this summer? Where would you be living? Have you found a place? Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
fuscia, are you joining the HSI program this summer? Where would you be living? Have you found a place? Thanks
The program seems very worthwhile, but the mistakes I made this cycle don't warrant a 50k post bac (3.7/32Q). I withdrew my acceptance a few weeks ago, hopefully my spot goes to someone who needs it.

And who knows. I'm on a couple waitlists, so maybe I'll get a spot for this Fall. Fingers still crossed.

The program seems very worthwhile, but the mistakes I made this cycle don't warrant a 50k post bac (3.7/32Q). I withdrew my acceptance a few weeks ago, hopefully my spot goes to someone who needs it.

And who knows. I'm on a couple waitlists, so maybe I'll get a spot for this Fall. Fingers still crossed.

fuscia, so you have applied to medical schools already? good luck to you!!..

I was just accepted today! Can anyone who has been accepted or attended message me... I have so many questions!