MPH Johns Hopkins MPH 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes there's one for MPH - search JHU MPH Class of 2017-2018. I'm in that one even though I'm an MHS student.

Anyone know of any groups specifically for MHS students?
I'm MSPH :/ I'm struggling to find one too, but I guess I can join that one. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Thoughts on Bloomberg's 11 month format vs traditional 2 year programs? (i.e Yale or Columbia)

I'm worried the accelerated format:
1. Will cause a unproductive and harmful level of stress and anxiety that is not conducive to learning (beyond the level I expect from any grad program! :) )For instance, will I feel rushed at Hopkins? This may be more applicable to someone like myself, who is easily anxious.
2. Won't provide ample time for research opportunities and significant interaction with faculty? (Also due to it's larger class size). I am seriously considering a PhD after the MPH.

On the other hand, the accelerated format from Bloomberg:
1. Is more affordable (than 2 year programs at Yale and Columbia)
2. Is well-regarded, has a great alumni network, and the name will probably help with career prospects/further study?

Maybe I'm just exuding undue anxiety (see worry #1 :p)

Happy New Year all! :)
Hi there! I am an applicant for the 2017 school year and am considering JHU, Columbia, and Yale MPH programs. My concerns about JHU are exactly the same as yours--I am considering Yale for this reason. I would love to chat with you about where you are 1 year later and how you feel about your decision! Let me know if we can chat.

Hi there! I am an applicant for the 2017 school year and am considering JHU, Columbia, and Yale MPH programs. My concerns about JHU are exactly the same as yours--I am considering Yale for this reason. I would love to chat with you about where you are 1 year later and how you feel about your decision! Let me know if we can chat.

Yeah I'd be happy to- Yale really disappointed me with financial aid - so I tossed them out. They tend to give need based aid out if you are coming straight from undergrad- otherwise forget about it. Merit scholarships are few and far between. They are also one of he most expensive schools of public health. 90k for tuition alone!! There were many other reasons why I settled on JHU besides finances, but finances were definitively a deciding factor. For me, going to JHU was the same cost as attending my state university, with a much better job outlook.

Some other selling factors for me:
1. Their commitment to community service and social justice - This was foundational to my undergraduate education and something I was seeking to incorporate into my graduate work.
2. You can take classes for letter grade OR pass/fail -At Yale there are no letter grades. This may not be an issue for someone who doesn't plan on advancing on to a PhD or MD, but I hope to. I like that at JHU you have the option to do either.
3. Research opportunities - I was worried I wouldn't have the chance to engage in research, but everyone I've talked to has said and provided examples why that simply is just not the case at JHU.
4. The cohort - Yale (I'm not sure about Columbia) is heavily skewed towards students straight from undergrad, whereas JHU's MPH program requires that you have at least two years of full-time work experience. People have had such interesting starts to their career at JHU! (Nothing against students straight from undergrad-I just think it's a different experience). Roughly half of JHU's incoming class are MDs or medical students. Likewise, about half are not American citizens. I wanted a more diverse, global education.
5. Location - I love the Baltimore/DC area and I don't plan on living in NYC, which is the closest city for Columbia (obviously) & Yale. Granted name recognition of both of these universities means you do not have to stay in these locations, but for internships while in school and job interviews think it will be easier to be in the DC area.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I also did not receive the Bloomberg, and I was told it was only awarded to 8 students.

In other news, I am still trying to decide between JHU and Berkeley. I have emailed the head of the maternal child health department with no response. Has anyone here had luck in contacting JHU professors? I'm really just trying to get a feel for the research being done at JHU in my general area. Is it unreasonable to expect responses from professors as a potential MPH student? I have had lots of interaction with Berkeley professors, but I am aware that Berkeleys is a much smaller "high touch" program.

Any feedback would be appreciated re: how to go about contacting professors at JHU.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all, I also did not receive the Bloomberg, and I was told it was only awarded to 8 students.

In other news, I am still trying to decide between JHU and Berkeley. I have emailed the head of the maternal child health department with no response. Has anyone here had luck in contacting JHU professors? I'm really just trying to get a feel for the research being done at JHU in my general area. Is it unreasonable to expect responses from professors as a potential MPH student? I have had lots of interaction with Berkeley professors, but I am aware that Berkeleys is a much smaller "high touch" program.

Any feedback would be appreciated re: how to go about contacting professors at JHU.

Thanks!

Wow...only 8 students. Without the Bloomberg Scholarship, JHU is way too expensive for me. I got a really nice scholarship to Dartmouth, so that's where I'm going. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

Thanks!

Hey, that's too bad the dept head hasn't gotten back to you. My two cents- when I was applying, I emailed a Hopkins professor whose research I was interested in and didn't hear back, then a few weeks later tried getting in touch with another Hopkins professor and heard back from them the same day (they even offered to Skype). I guess most schools have some faculty that are particularly hard to get in touch with. However, when I visited Hopkins I was really surprised by how open and exceedingly helpful all of the professors I spoke with were, and I've been in contact with some of them since. That's actually what sold me on the program. I'm in Epi so unfortunately I wouldn't know who to recommend you speak to, but I definitely don't think it's unreasonable to expect a response :/ Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,
I am attending JHU (yay!), and I'm wondering if anyone else is considering using their Bloomberg scholarship application as a blue print for their capstone or at least a jumping off point? If so, could you message me? I feel like I and my employer put a fair amount of work into the application, and even though I was not granted the scholarship, I am invested in the idea. Apparently, administrators around the Bloomberg scholarship have similarly thought of working with those of us who applied and were not granted the award. I'm not sure to what extent or if this will come together at all, but I'm speaking with Michelle Spencer from the program this Friday (April 21). Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks!

I applied - I'm unclear on whether they are actually awarding 50 this year, as there is a phrase somewhere on the website that they hope to award 50 as the program matures. The odds are still good, considering not that many people would qualify, although my expectations are tempered by the fact that I am competing PhD/MD/DDS -MPH students along with all you fine and highly qualified folks. Excited to see who here gets it!

I work in public health and have a collaborating organization. I was accepted to the MPH, but wait listed (and ultimately rejected) for the Fellowship, so I have deferred my acceptance until next summer to try once more.

Last edited: