John C. Lincoln General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted554740

Do any osteopathic medical students or residents know anything about the John C. Lincoln General Surgery residency program in Phoenix AZ? I think it's fairly new so there isn't much info on the web and I don't know anyone who is a resident there.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No, but from what I saw on their website it looks pretty good to me. I'm def going to rotate there and check it out.

I think it has the makings of a great program. It's at a level 1 trauma center with a good volume of general and sub specialty surgery. The faculty is comprised of all MDs, so my suggestion is to get in while you can. The program director is only interested in the best students and will not show any preference for DOs once it's an ACGME program.

Members don't see this ad :)
They have contracted with a local general surgery private practice group, Valley Surgical Clinic, to provide training services to residents. Its an interesting choice given the fact that there are many DO general surgeons in town, both AOA and ACGME trained. It remains to be seen if they exhibit a preference for MD trained applicants given that the GME director is a DO Family Medicine physician and the rotating Midwestern students there.

Reactions: 1 user
I rotated here. It's going to be a really good program. It's at a level one trauma center, and there are two groups running the program. The general surgery group and the trauma group. The program director and assistant program director are both on the trauma group. There are two hospitals affiliated with the program and they do a lot of surgery at both. A lot of the attendings are old-school in the way they teach, a lot of on the spot pimping. Most of the faculty are very approachable, there are always a few that people want to avoid but thats nothing new. The program director is fantastic and she and most of the other faculty expect a lot out of their residents and students. It is very early on, but this program has what it takes to be one of the top programs out west. The residents coming out of this program will definitely be solid surgeons.

Reactions: 1 user
I rotated here. It's going to be a really good program. It's at a level one trauma center, and there are two groups running the program. The general surgery group and the trauma group. The program director and assistant program director are both on the trauma group. There are two hospitals affiliated with the program and they do a lot of surgery at both. A lot of the attendings are old-school in the way they teach, a lot of on the spot pimping. Most of the faculty are very approachable, there are always a few that people want to avoid but thats nothing new. The program director is fantastic and she and most of the other faculty expect a lot out of their residents and students. It is very early on, but this program has what it takes to be one of the top programs out west. The residents coming out of this program will definitely be solid surgeons.

that's good to hear. I'll be interviewing there soon, although I didn't rotate.

How are the didactics and teaching overall?

that's good to hear. I'll be interviewing there soon, although I didn't rotate.

How are the didactics and teaching overall?
The didactics and teaching are great. Every morning at 7am they have a 20min teaching session that includes going over new trauma patients. Example: New MVA pt came in and got bilat chest tubes, they'll ask one of the students to describe how to put a chest tube in, or anything related to chest tubes. They love the "board mnemonics" like indications for dialysis (AEIOU), causes of PEA (5 H's, 5 T's), MUDPILES, HARDUPS, CHIMPANZEES, etc... They are really enthusiastic to teach, but expect that you will be reading daily. If you are constants getting pimp questions wrong you'll hear about it. They also have weekly M&Ms which are basically a big pimp session to the two residents and students follows by a lecture on some surgical topic by one of the attendings. The multidisciplinary SICU rounds include the student/resident presenting to ~15 people (pharmacy, nursing, PT/OT, dieticians, neuro docs, etc) and getting pimped on critical care topics. You will def be put on the spot here but it forces you to read a lot. Very solid program.

Any update on this program? Also, any idea on what they want to see as far as board scores are concerned?

Dont even think about it... i was their for a month and this was so far the worst place i rotated. Mostly everyone was bringing each other down... making themselves look better by saying crap about others... not an environment which is set for success. Seems like everyone hates it there.