MPH Jobs during school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BatGirl012

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be entering grad school for an MPH this fall. My concentration will either be in policy or epidemiology (couldn't decide haha), depending on what I hear from the remaining schools I applied to.

Anyway. I want/need to get a job before that; I had one last summer/fall that was a nanny gig; I really loved getting to take care of the two kids I watched. It was kind of boring, but provided the six-year-old wasn't around, I had quite a bit of time to myself because the toddler was really content to play alone and took naps.

I need to work through grad school if I can; I've been trying to find a way to get some PH employment that will hopefully be flexible enough to work with my schedule when grad school starts in the fall. My school provides afternoon/evening classes just for the grad students that work,
which is helpful.

I guess I'm just looking for advice or tips from people who are going/have gone through the same thing as me. What did you do for a job; did you try to make it work to be advantageous after you got out of grad school, or did you just work at a local coffee shop or something? I know a few people in undergrad opted to work as hotel front desk people just because that usually provides quite a bit of "free time" to study and whatnot.

If you went the "PH experience" route, how did you go about looking/finding/obtaining a job? I've been calling and emailing the local health departments and other clinics, but they've been (unfortunately) slow in getting back.

Members don't see this ad.

When I started MPH school I worked a remote job. These days, most computer-based jobs that don't require face-to-face interaction can be done remotely... it's just whether your company allows it.

Later I did a part-time job with the local hospital association. A recent grad from my program worked there and was leaving, so she referred me. Make some connections, even in your program.

I obtained my bachelors in biology and did the premed track which really helped me stay working in the health care field. I started my MPH this year and just finished spring semester.

I started applying for jobs in January and finally got the offer I wanted by April. My MPH concentration is community health and my new job is a research assistant for a cancer institute researching cancer, oncology, and conducting surveys.

It was challenging finding a job with no experience in. I applied to at least 70 positions. Once I finally got to the interview I worked my absolute hardest to show how passionate I am and willing to learn.

I think it is crucial to work somewhat in the field in order to obtain the years of experience required for lots of jobs out there once graduated. Now of days having the degree alone does not suffice.

I hope this helps! Feel free to message me with any questions.