Job that help me with bills without residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dawson203

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I didn't match this year. But the problem is some of my student loan went into repayment already and I also need money for ERAS application this coming fall. Anyone know any job that actually pays? I am currently working a job that looks good on my ERAS application for next year but it doesn't pay much and it's a part time job. Any help would be appreciated, thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I didn't match this year. But the problem is some of my student loan went into repayment already and I also need money for ERAS application this coming fall. Anyone know any job that actually pays? I am currently working a job that looks good on my ERAS application for next year but it doesn't pay much and it's a part time job. Any help would be appreciated, thanks for reading.

ER scribe?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure about being paid but something that looks good (and that several friends of mine have done) is observerships

Its a joke to be an MD and not be able to get a job. I would think some type of research position with a university or use your college degree to perhaps get you into something. Or drive uber/lyft I feel like that would be fun (idk how the pay is) but you can work and not work at any time.

Reactions: 2 users
Clinical possibilities are a scribe (as mentioned above) and being an EMT. Having an MD will give you great background to do both of these. You already know all the medical lingo, so being a scribe should be easy -- the biggest problem is ensuring that you simply put the other person's words down on "paper" exactly, and not try to "ad lib" anything yourself because you think the person made a mistake.

An EMT is another option. You will need to train to be an EMT, but it should be easy given your background. Many places will offer to train you for a fee. Instead, especially if you live in a less urban area, see if the local fire/EMT squad will offer to train you for a commitment to cover a certain number of shifts in the future (paid).

Both are shift based and hence might fit nicely with whatever else you're working on.

Hi,

Postdoc Research fellow. You can do it in the field you want to apply in, and it will help you look more competetive. Pays ~30-50K from what I have seen. If not working as a research assistant at a University program in your specialty choice might also be helpful. Just my 2cents.

Postdoc Research fellow. You can do it in the field you want to apply in, and it will help you look more competetive. Pays ~30-50K from what I have seen. If not working as a research assistant at a University program in your specialty choice might also be helpful. Just my 2cents.

will only make you look more competitive if you get some papers published.

I'm not denying that. Imo it might be better to do be a post doc fellow/ research assistant even without any pubs, than being a scribe/ EMT.

Clinical possibilities are a scribe (as mentioned above) and being an EMT. Having an MD will give you great background to do both of these. You already know all the medical lingo, so being a scribe should be easy -- the biggest problem is ensuring that you simply put the other person's words down on "paper" exactly, and not try to "ad lib" anything yourself because you think the person made a mistake.

An EMT is another option. You will need to train to be an EMT, but it should be easy given your background. Many places will offer to train you for a fee. Instead, especially if you live in a less urban area, see if the local fire/EMT squad will offer to train you for a commitment to cover a certain number of shifts in the future (paid).

Both are shift based and hence might fit nicely with whatever else you're working on.

I have also seen some non-residency MDs spend some time with as insurance company liaisons for a year or two. It's mostly paperwork (making sure patients are "compliant" with pap smears and cancer screenings, etc.) but it pays some money and no one expects you to make a career out of it.

I agree; being a post-doc research fellow is a good idea if you already have significant research experience. Entering research for a year, when you will have to take significant time off in just a few months (for interviews) is unlikely to be very helpful.

If you feel that it matches with your personality, you could apply to consulting groups! Some consulting firms like to hire people on for shorter periods of time and pay around the amount you would earn in most residencies (if not more). I had a classmate work for McKinsey for a year and absolutely love it. The big three (McKinsey, Boston Consulting Company and Bain) are good places to start!

Hi,

If everything is a federal loan, consolidate them and sign up for income based repayment. If your income is zero (or less than 150% of the poverty line), your payments are zero. And they still count towards your minimum 120-240 payments.

Now, actual living expenses? Very few (read: basically zero) jobs that require an MD will take you without at least a year of residency training. So you're basically looking at jobs that anyone with an undergrad degree could do. I had a friend who ended up working at a retail store after his year that he didn't match. Sucked.

Good luck.