job prospects after NHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaige333

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just wanna say hi and thanks in advance to all the veterans who answer questions and offer advices here. I am new to the NHSC forum and I am curious to what happens after someone is finished with NHSC scholarship or loan repayment commitment. Specifically, how easy or not is it to find a job back into private practice or hospital after a stint in an NHSC site? Any thoughts on this and/or experiences to share?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey just wanna say hi and thanks in advance to all the veterans who answer questions and offer advices here. I am new to the NHSC forum and I am curious to what happens after someone is finished with NHSC scholarship or loan repayment commitment. Specifically, how easy or not is it to find a job back into private practice or hospital after a stint in an NHSC site? Any thoughts on this and/or experiences to share?

I don't see why it should be difficult to find a job in private practice after serving at an NHSC site. Some of my former colleagues have done so quite successfully. Honestly, once you've dealt with the challenges of serving at an NHSC site, you can handle almost anything that walks through the door, so your experience with the NHSC should be a big selling point.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't see why it should be difficult to find a job in private practice after serving at an NHSC site. Some of my former colleagues have done so quite successfully. Honestly, once you've dealt with the challenges of serving at an NHSC site, you can handle almost anything that walks through the door, so your experience with the NHSC should be a big selling point.

I would agree. Most of these sites have patients with tons of needs (medical, psychological AND social) who have a very high disease burden compared to the general public. For example: Being able to handle a patient base who is close to 50% diabetic will give you the experience to handle most other geographical areas.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure why one would want to go into private practice after working for years at a high HPSA score site. Clinically, the move would almost guarantee a reduction in spectrum of practice and increase in expected patient encounters. I suppose it would make sense if you wanted to increase pay. There is also a shortage for primary care in private practice so landing such a job shouldn't be any problems as long as you don't leave a trail of damage at your prior employer.