Job offer. To good to be true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoorPerson

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the last 5 months of my FM residency so been on a few interviews. Been a on few UC interviews for 115 to 125/hr 12 to 16 shifts per month. Nothing special. Recently had an interview in a rural hospital of about 15k population. The short of it is they offered to pay my all 400k of my student loans on day one. Outpatient 5 days per week. ED shift 12hr/x2 per month. Was shown numbers of the few (only have 3) FM docs there making 25 to 34k per month. Option for employment or independent or a mix. Asked me to tell them what I wanted and they would make a contact from there. I got glass eyed after the student loan remark. Seem way out of the norm. Granted the town has a Walmart and not much else. Nearest real city is an hour away. These number do not match up to anything I have seen before. Feeling something wrong here. Anyone working in a super small town want to chime in?

Members don't see this ad.

The numbers aren't really too good to be true, but are too good not to be skeptical. What kind of committment do you have to give for the student loan repayment. Do you have to stick around for ten years to pay it off? How would your income be determined? Just because the other FP's are raking it in doesn't mean it is guaranteed for you. I work in a similar situation with similar income, but I really put in the hours. It would be tough for me to do urgent care, but I have 4-5 days off per months, not 15.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Have a lawyer go over your contract
2. The student loan payment usually means you have to apply to NHSC and its not guaranteed

3. If the student loan is up front, then how long do you have to give them before your obligation is fulfilled?

4. Have an out clause in case the job turns out to be a huge disaster and you just cant do it.
5. Be very skeptical.
6. Don't forget about the tail coverage if you do sign and then resign.

^if I remember right, cabin builder does a lot of locum tenens and their advice should definitely be taken as knowledgeable in this case

^if I remember right, cabin builder does a lot of locum tenens and their advice should definitely be taken as knowledgeable in this case

I do locums because I have had to get out of 3 really bad permanent jobs that really sucked. I learned the hard way what to look for and how to cover yourself just in case.

Last edited:
I do locums because I have had to get out of 4 really bad permanent jobs that really sucked. I learned the hard way what to look for and how to cover yourself just in case.

Just out of curiosity, did you happen to have any lawyers look over the contracts at your 4 bad jobs? What was it that was so bad about them?
I appreciate all the help you've given us here on SDN btw.

For real cabin, you really saved me from thinking i couldnt do fm because they are supposedly broke and homeless

Reactions: 1 user
Just out of curiosity, did you happen to have any lawyers look over the contracts at your 4 bad jobs? What was it that was so bad about them?
I appreciate all the help you've given us here on SDN btw.

Of course, I ALWAYS have my lawyer over see my contracts. I have him on speed dial. The specifics of each situation was different. In all fairness the first job I left wasn't because of the job, it was because my family was super unhappy. The last job I was told the company was bankrupt and they couldn't keep me on - had to fight for my last paycheck since they hadn't paid the other doctors for months before I got there to take over. Needless to say the check they handed me was around $50K and I held my breath hoping it would cash - it did.

The second job ended basically due to breach of contract by the facility who hired me and the fact that the nurses conspired to get rid of me because I made them work. I found out after the fact that they made up a story stating that I was mean to them and the patients (there is more to it). Anyhow, the CEO of the hospital took their word for it, proceeded to berate me during our hour meeting. Needless to say I left totally flabbergasted since none of it was true. It was the beginning of the end. I resigned 2 weeks later.

The third job ended because I was supposed to take over an existing practice since the doctor wanted to retire. Just before I started the job my recruiter was fired. When I showed up, the doctor had decided to only go half time because of his wife so I was shuttled between two offices. There were other issues and "the company" forced his retirement in full due to the wife sabotaging my paperwork with the state medicare/medicaid so I wouldn't get paid. Once I took over the practice fully, I uncovered an extreme amount of medical malpractice cases made against patients, medicare fraud etc. When I brought it to the attention of the legal dept, trying to do the right thing internal politics left me without staff to run an office and I ended up resigning. There is more to it of course but that's the jist of it. They knew the cases were valid and they didn't want me to inform the patients so they gave me 3 months pay to keep my mouth shut and walk away. I didn't pay back any sign on money, moving money, or tail coverage.

Last edited:
.... These number do not match up to anything I have seen before. Feeling something wrong here. Anyone working in a super small town want to chime in?

A lot of recruiters intentionally use income and income guarantee interchangeably, A hospital can guarantee your income, but unless you make that much money from your practice, the difference becomes a loan which most likely you will have to repay or can be forgiven if you stay in the community for three or more years after the end of the guarantee period. This means that you could get paid a good salary for a year or two, then you may find out that you can't make that kind of money in the community. At the end of the guarantee period, you have a choice, you can refund back the difference to the hospital and be free to leave, or if you have already spent the money you will have to stay there for three or more years until your debt is forgiven.

Last edited:
Thanks you for the replies. I will be getting more detail after I speak with them within the next week.

In the last 5 months of my FM residency so been on a few interviews. Been a on few UC interviews for 115 to 125/hr 12 to 16 shifts per month. Nothing special. Recently had an interview in a rural hospital of about 15k population. The short of it is they offered to pay my all 400k of my student loans on day one. Outpatient 5 days per week. ED shift 12hr/x2 per month. Was shown numbers of the few (only have 3) FM docs there making 25 to 34k per month. Option for employment or independent or a mix. Asked me to tell them what I wanted and they would make a contact from there. I got glass eyed after the student loan remark. Seem way out of the norm. Granted the town has a Walmart and not much else. Nearest real city is an hour away. These number do not match up to anything I have seen before. Feeling something wrong here. Anyone working in a super small town want to chime in?
I will be glad to work in rural area. I am trying to get into FM residency from last year. Any help will be appreciated. I am single and can work any shift.

what kind of job is this?

Do underserved areas generally pay less than average?