Job at Facebook vs MD from Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letmeintroduce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one would you pick?

Members don't see this ad.

Job from facebook is vague. Janitor at facebook or MD at Stanford? Or CEO making 20+ million a year or MD from Stanford?

MD from Stanford for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Job from facebook is vague. Janitor at facebook or MD at Stanford? Or CEO making 20+ million a year or MD from Stanford?

MD from Stanford for me.

i did think hes making alot more than 20 milll a year since his net worth is about 13.5 billion.

btw i think u only made ur choice because u prob have never driven a ferarri 458. just sayin :).

i did think hes making alot more than 20 milll a year since his net worth is about 13.5 billion.

btw i think u only made ur choice because u prob have never driven a ferarri 458. just sayin :).

Eff the ferarri, if you have 13.5 billion go the bugatti veyron and have a ferarri and lambo as spares. I doubt anyone in their right mind would choose an MD over CEO of facebook making that much money. I don't care what people say about their "passion for medicine" everyone has a price, and I assure u its below 13.5 billion

if we're talking CEO, both
Thomas Wayne be up in dis bish!

My friend works for Facebook and she doesn't really like it. She's some kind of analyst. I'd take an MD anyday.

Eff the ferarri, if you have 13.5 billion go the bugatti veyron and have a ferarri and lambo as spares. I doubt anyone in their right mind would choose an MD over CEO of facebook making that much money. I don't care what people say about their "passion for medicine" everyone has a price, and I assure u its below 13.5 billion

I guess I must be mentally disturbed. I honestly would choose medicine. Though being rich sounds great, I'd rather be a doctor. I think I would enjoy the work a lot better because I have a passion for medicine and helping people (no matter how cliche it sounds).

BTW, no matter how rich I am, I WILL NOT go around spending my money on senseless, expensive things. No Ferrari or Yacht for me, I'll stick with the Chrysler 300 (it looks like a Rolls-Royce Phantom though)!:)

A friend who works there said the profit sharing isn't as good as if you got in early, not to mention that they tend to lowball a lot of good people. I agree with the second poster I would weigh it with the overall package they give you.

Honestly I really don't get the question. You're talking about two completely different life trajectories to a bunch of people that, for the most part, decided to go medicine over engineering/business/whatever. Most people capable of getting into Stanford med could succeed in whatever career they chose, and for the most part these jobs would probably be higher paying in the long term. So why not just do what you want?

Independence with an MD > working for "the man" at facebook.

A friend who works there said the profit sharing isn't as good as if you got in early, not to mention that they tend to lowball a lot of good people. I agree with the second poster I would weigh it with the overall package they give you.

Honestly I really don't get the question. You're talking about two completely different life trajectories to a bunch of people that, for the most part, decided to go medicine over engineering/business/whatever. Most people capable of getting into Stanford med could succeed in whatever career they chose, and for the most part these jobs would probably be higher paying in the long term. So why not just do what you want?

+1

Also, I like your handle.

I think you have to consider both these opportunities as being top-notch for their respective fields, obviously. The choice should be about what type of work you want to be doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I must be mentally disturbed. I honestly would choose medicine. Though being rich sounds great, I'd rather be a doctor. I think I would enjoy the work a lot better because I have a passion for medicine and helping people (no matter how cliche it sounds).

BTW, no matter how rich I am, I WILL NOT go around spending my money on senseless, expensive things. No Ferrari or Yacht for me, I'll stick with the Chrysler 300 (it looks like a Rolls-Royce Phantom though)!:)

But where will you shoot your personal boats and hoes video? A dingy? That Chrysler 300 is not THAT much cheaper than a nicer car by the way (G37 coupe, BMW 3-series, etc.). Assuming you make decent money, I'd take the G37 for 15k more. Man I miss my g35 :cry:...

Oh and OP: this thread is ridiculous.

A job at Facebook you can get right out from college. A MD from Stanford is a long (4-5) years of investment, both time and financially. How can you compare the two?
A job at Facebook makes say 80k a year (although if it went public, your income would skyrocket from stock options). Stanford costs say $60,000 a year, so you're talking about almost a $150,000 difference/yr. 4 years in, that's $600,000 difference (tax and interest taken out of the equation for simplicity). I know money isn't the biggest concern, but 600k+ difference is a huge amount later on in life. Just food for thought...

Also, asking this question on a forum full of people who have chosen medicine might net you a biased response. I'm sure if you ask engineers, they'll wonder why anyone would pick such a long, convoluted, and masochistic route while they're having a time of their lives (which many of my friends at FB are).

lmao :thumbup:

Hmm....

Not to mention illogical, because unless your career in medicine leads you to personally discover the cure for cancer, with 13.5 billion a non-doctor with a passion for helping people will be able to make a hell of a lot more difference in the world than a doctor without the 13.5 billion could.

Though being rich sounds great, I'd rather be a doctor. I think I would enjoy the work a lot better because I have a passion for medicine and helping people (no matter how cliche it sounds).

It is not that I love medicine less, it is that I love 13 billion dollars more. I mean think about it, your going into medicine to "help people" correct? Go donate even 1 billion of that 13 billion and I promise you you will have saved more lives and helped more people than you could ever do as a doctor, even in 2 lifetimes.

Without a doubt being a doctor would be way more cool then being an employee at facebook, obviously if we didn't think this we would not be on this website.

Nope 13.5 billion sounds about right :laugh:

I don't understand people's obsession with facebook as a company. They are going to go public in the next year or so and I'm pretty convinced that their stock price is going to explode, just like Google did. The only difference however is that facebook is a useless company that, to my knowledge, can't really produce an effective income stream, whereas Google is now one of the marketing greats in the world.

And no, I would not want to work for facebook, Mr. Mark is pretentious :)

You know... honestly, money doesn't buy happiness. I'd much rather love my job and make <$100k/yr than hate it to the tune of $100 billion/yr. Beyond about $75k/yr, IIRC studies show that there really is no significant increase in "happiness". In addition, as facebook CEO, I would not be able to do the things w/ my life I want to do. People>>>>>>>>>>>>>Money. Facebook CEO would be prohibitive to me, no matter how much I could pay other people to go and help impoverished nations. (I've never been one to watch. I need to be in the on the action. Now, if I could be Facebook CEO for 5 years and walk away with $67.5 billion and then go do medical school and serve abroad the rest of my life, basically living off that money and therefore having no net expenses, that might be nice....)

Money may not be able to buy happiness, but it sure as hell can buy a lot of nice things that make me happy. If salaries were comparable, I'd go for MD. I'm assuming OP means a position at Facebook that makes substantially more, in which case I'd choose that in a heartbeat. Even if I hated my job, I'd take two pills of harden the **** up each work day and go enjoy my weekends in Tijuana.

not to mention that they tend to lowball a lot of good people.

This coupled with discovering I really don't want to spend the rest of my life as a software engineer is what turned me away.

One of the most frequent fallacies that gets thrown around on here.

You can believe whatever you want but the fact is that it's really hard to overcome the years of debt and lost income you incur going into medicine. If you go into ortho/radonc/some other money field then yes you'll probably come out ahead but your average internist or family doc is going to have a lot of trouble with a 300k hole.

This has been posted here before but is a good visual, and doesn't even take into account interest, tax brackets, or the fact that private med schools will now run you around 280-300k for 4 years: http://www.er-doctor.com/doctor_income.html

At any rate I'm sorry for rehashing the same stupid argument again.

This conversation reminds me of a friend I have who says "The only people who say money doesn't buy happiness are the ones who don't have any."

The >75k thing may be true up to a point, but if were talking about serious amounts of money... I'm sorry but there are what? ~25,000 multimillionaires (after all recent surveys among millionaires says it takes >1.75 mil to "feel" rich) and ~400 billionaires in the US or so? I doubt this study can really quantify and compare the "happiness" of such a small segment of society reliably. There are so many confounding variables and possible issues with definitions and decisions in this study.

You can believe whatever you want but the fact is that it's really hard to overcome the years of debt and lost income you incur going into medicine. If you go into ortho/radonc/some other money field then yes you'll probably come out ahead but your average internist or family doc is going to have a lot of trouble with a 300k hole.

This has been posted here before but is a good visual, and doesn't even take into account interest, tax brackets, or the fact that private med schools will now run you around 280-300k for 4 years: http://www.er-doctor.com/doctor_income.html

You missed the point. What I was getting at was this statement:

Most people capable of getting into Stanford med could succeed in whatever career they chose, and for the most part these jobs would probably be higher paying in the long term.

This conversation reminds me of a friend I have who says "The only people who say money doesn't buy happiness are the ones who don't have any."

The >75k thing may be true up to a point, but if were talking about serious amounts of money... I'm sorry but there are what? ~25,000 multimillionaires (after all recent surveys among millionaires says it takes >1.75 mil to "feel" rich) and ~400 billionaires in the US or so? I doubt this study can really quantify and compare the "happiness" of such a small segment of society reliably. There are so many confounding variables and possible issues with definitions and decisions in this study.

Sure, it's nice to have money. I've lived in the million-dollar house and all that. I've lived frugally and with money. And then frugally again. Honestly, there was very little difference in my level of happiness. I wouldn't go so far as to say that living on the $40k/yr salary I lived on immediately after graduating college was enjoyable. It was tough but I wouldn't say I was any less happy than when living on a lot more than that. (I grew up with annual household income around 1/2-million/yr, so while I cannot speak for the billionaires, I can speak for at least some millionaire households.) Living on my own after college was definitely a transition but once I made the transition, I wasn't any less happy. It's really only the initial changes you notice -- then life goes on as usual.

@apumic
I happen to agree with you, I just like playing devil's advocate and I find the whole interaction of wealth and "happiness" interesting. Any study quantifying "happiness" sounds bogus to me, but I guess I'd need to look closer at their methods. I also find social opinions seem to valorize poverty/lack of wealth by inventing some esoteric definition of "happiness" which acts as some sort of moral superiority to those "mean evil rich people." Usually people with these ideas are middle/uppermiddle class and at the very least comfortable. Basically inventing a sort of myth of happiness predicated on middle class values.

Not the fallacy to which I was referring. Around these parts, it's frequently posed as "I'm planning on going to medical school, because I've got a 4.0 and I'm awesome at science and am president of the pre-med society. If I don't, I'll just go to b-school, get my MBA and pull down $400k a year knocking out M&A deals. Can't lose!"

Success as a small business owner, or a trader, or corporate law requires a set of skills and talents much different than that indicated by a >35 MCAT score. "If medical school doesn't work out, there's always McKinsey!" isn't a recipe for success.

Strange topic all together considering Zuckerberg is at Facebook and his girlfriend is at UCSF for medschool. I'm not a mind reader, but I'd be willing to bet that the OP was trying to quantify who got the better end of the deal.

Not the fallacy to which I was referring. Around these parts, it's frequently posed as "I'm planning on going to medical school, because I've got a 4.0 and I'm awesome at science and am president of the pre-med society. If I don't, I'll just go to b-school, get my MBA and pull down $400k a year knocking out M&A deals. Can't lose!"

Success as a small business owner, or a trader, or corporate law requires a set of skills and talents much different than that indicated by a >35 MCAT score. "If medical school doesn't work out, there's always McKinsey!" isn't a recipe for success.

Ah - yes I would agree with that, sorry I misinterpreted. I would add that the same skills that make you a good businessman would make you a good med student - a lot of my friends honored clerkships without picking up a book because they knew sports trivia and gave confident presentations.

i heard people with graduate degree get something like 10k stocks from facebook a couple of years ago. if each one is worth about 100, that'll be an instant million $ in a couple of years. not sure about that now, rumor said the stock option got worse.

hes not worth that much because he gets a huge yearly salary... he is worth that much because he owns a percentage of facebook, and that piece of the pie is worth that much.

A Chrysler 300 still qualifies as a senseless, expensive thing. :p

this should say "Job at Google vs. MD" i've heard working at google is the s***

A Chrysler 300 still qualifies as a senseless, expensive thing. :p

Well, it is as senselessly expensive as I get.:)

Also, I stand by what I said wanting to help people and having a passion or, better said, a great interest in medicine. Though giving a large sum of money to a charity or organization would probably help more people, its a little to impersonal for me. Becoming a doctor is how I would prefer to help others. But that's just me.

Did anyone see "The Social Network"? I highly doubt this would be for anything close to a CEO position. Zuckerberg is keeping as much money as he can. At the most it would be intern, analyst, or some pencil pusher job. Of course I would choose MD at Stanford.

Did anyone see "The Social Network"? I highly doubt this would be for anything close to a CEO position. Zuckerberg is keeping as much money as he can. At the most it would be intern, analyst, or some pencil pusher job. Of course I would choose MD at Stanford.

So you're basing this off of a movie.... Anyways I'm pretty sure there are plenty of executives which overlook a lot of the operations of FB which he doesn't concern himself with. These people my friend... make bank. Furthermore these people also have managerial subordinates which hypothetically is what the OP could obtain and a job as one of those will be making bank as well.
Point being if it's a managerial job at Facebook you'll be making well over what you will be making as a doctor.

Last edited: