Job Applications Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abby Atwood

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently applying for inpatient pharmacist positions. It might be a long shot because I am fresh out of school and my paid intern experience is in community pharmacy. On applications, I have only been listing paid experience under employment sections and leaving off any APPE rotations. I feel that this is the most appropriate approach; however, if other people are listing APPE rotations, I look like a looser by comparison. Just wondering how people are approaching that; and, if there are employers out there, what they typically see or like.

To put a plug in for people with community pharmacy experience, we are way better at med rec. We are also better at any work involving transitions of care :)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You only have experience in retail and you want to leave off your appes? :eek:

Reactions: 1 users
I'd list your APPEs too. Even if they weren't paid, they definitely count as experience, and that's important to demonstrate this early on. And if you have references that were APPE preceptors, then it makes even more sense to list the rotations on your CV/resume.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
List your APPE exactly as they are when you are fresh out of school as "student rotations" or "Advance practice experience."

Yep, I listed my APPE's while applying for my first job this past year. Rotation experience is relevant! Especially if you have never worked inpatient except for APPEs.

You should definitely list your APPEs when applying for your first pharmacist job. You can take them off your resume in the future when you have some pharmacist experience under your belt.

Agreed, leaving off APPE's, especially when you have no technician/intern experience in the area you are applying for, is a bad idea. It's understandable to leave on APPE's when one is a new grad (it's when one has been out of school for 10 years and they are still listing their APPE's, that it looks lame.)

It may be a long shot like you mentioned, but don't get discouraged if there is no takers. Based on the timing, you are competing with PGY1 who just about to finish their programs.
Once this initial period is over, your chances of getting hired will increase tremendously. I suspect with patience, you may be able to land hospital job without residency with good timing and location.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I would not list APPE's as employment, put them on your resume, they still come across to the hiring manager eventually.