J1 SON appeal- Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usamd2015

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So out of genuine ignorance, I submitted my SON "late" on Monday for the SON. Not confirmed yet but I heard the limit has/has almost been reached. Considering the tight timeline, I would like to be more proactive with the appeal thing if I have to go that route. Does anyone know how to appeal for a SON?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

So out of genuine ignorance, I submitted my SON "late" on Monday for the SON. Not confirmed yet but I heard the limit has/has almost been reached. Considering the tight timeline, I would like to be more proactive with the appeal thing if I have to go that route. Does anyone know how to appeal for a SON?

Thank you

The Health Canada website has a statement about no exceptions.
Statements of Need for Postgraduate Training in the United States - Medical graduates not currently enrolled in Canadian postgraduate training and not licensed to practice medicine in Canada [Category B] - Health Human Resources, Health Canada

Quote:
How Many Statements of Need can be issued in 2016?
The 2016 List of Needed Specialties shows how many Statements of Need may be issued for each specialty and subspecialty.

There may be more applications for a particular field of training than is shown on the List. Therefore, applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis from the time the application is received by email. To secure your place when limits are applicable, all documents shall be submitted. If your email contains more than 20 megabytes, please send a zip version.

Exceptions to the List of Needed Specialties and Subspecialties will not be granted.

End Quote

Nevertheless, there is a committee you might want to contact if you want to contest that decision. I do not know if doing so would change your situation.

Statements of Need for Postgraduate Medical Training in the United States

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Thank you
Hey, I had the same concern. Any luck in your appeal process since then?

Hi everyone,

Thank you

We need to make a lot of noise and “act like Americans” rather than polite Canadians.

Denial of statements of needs does appear to be in violation of the Canadian charter of human rights and freedom specifically section 6. Once I am making more $$ I plan to donate money to support a class action law suite against Health Canada.

Hey, I had the same concern. Any luck in your appeal process since then?

If you have dual citizenship or citizenship from another country get your SON from that country. For those who are going to medschool abroad try and get citizenship from that country if possible as well.

The Health ........

There may be more applications for a particular field of training than is shown on the List. Therefore, applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis from the time the application is received by email. To secure your place when limits are applicable, all documents shall be submitted. If your email contains more than 20 megabytes, please send a zip version.

Exceptions to the List of Needed Specialties and Subspecialties will not be granted.

Exemptions will not be made....that is a lie...what about the case of the girl from Sask...we know that the so called “glitch in the system” was a lie to cover Health Canada otherwise. We need to get this story in the news more...if the Canadian public knew they would be appalled !!!

Hi everyone,

Thank you
Contact your province and the meanest lawyer you can find. Start studying for step 3 as well.