It's been asked before but...Preclinical grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnAlienIntrusion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I wanted to know how much preclinical grades matter? The school I selected has grades, but the cut off for an A is a 93-95%. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I try I keep getting a 90% or an 88%. How will this affect me in the future? Especially if I want to match into GI or Allergy in the future

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine preclinical grades will be that important when looking for a fellowship match from IM. Good grades in general are nice, but far less important than about a half dozen or more other factors such as step, research, letters, clinical grades, AOA, etc. Also it's not like your grades are bad, just not as high as you'd want them.

Basically, higher grades are better, but getting 90s won't be the deciding factor for your future

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I wanted to know how much preclinical grades matter? The school I selected has grades, but the cut off for an A is a 93-95%. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I try I keep getting a 90% or an 88%. How will this affect me in the future? Especially if I want to match into GI or Allergy in the future

If you're set on IM and are looking for the more competitive subspecialties your job in medical school is to kill Step 1, Step 2, try to get the best reputable residency (so AOA and third year grades and class rank help). Also do some GI/Allergy research (more now helps later and you don't get lots of time to do research in residency either). At my school, class rank = AOA more or less so jus try to stay up as high as you can but don't kill yourself trying to get honors when you're trying your best and it isn't helping. Still work your ass off, but I don't think