Italy MedSchool Admission Suggestion and Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rebecca_Blue

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a high school graduate from Turkey. This year, I will apply to one of the medicine courses in English in one of the Italian Universities. (I will take IMAT) Do you think those med-schools in Italy are considered to be good and have a good reputation in Europe?

I am planning to apply to the Universita degli studi di Milano. But I've heard that Universita degli studi di Bologna will also start a medicine in English program this year. Which one would you suggest?

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am currently in the international course in Milan.
I suggest you to look carefully at the differences between the different curricula as they change a lot and you may prefer one over the other.
I am absolutely proud of my course and it is the best choice for me, but it is very personal. Here it's an example: we have very few exams as they comprise many subject in them (you take Human Body which has inside embryology microanatomy macroanatomy histology), other courses prefer to split them in two or more exams. The exams are mainly focus on the oral test (even if all have also a written one).
A side from this, there is a very good environment and a lot of bonding as we are few classes with max 50 students in each.
Regarding the reputation the course has, I can only tell you that many students got research internship and clerkship around the world in high profile institutions.
If you have any other question feel free to pm me.
Hope it was helpful and good luck

Hi! I am currently in the international course in Milan.
I suggest you to look carefully at the differences between the different curricula as they change a lot and you may prefer one over the other.
I am absolutely proud of my course and it is the best choice for me, but it is very personal. Here it's an example: we have very few exams as they comprise many subject in them (you take Human Body which has inside embryology microanatomy macroanatomy histology), other courses prefer to split them in two or more exams. The exams are mainly focus on the oral test (even if all have also a written one).
A side from this, there is a very good environment and a lot of bonding as we are few classes with max 50 students in each.
Regarding the reputation the course has, I can only tell you that many students got research internship and clerkship around the world in high profile institutions.
If you have any other question feel free to pm me.
Hope it was helpful and good luck

Hi. International course in Milan, are you talking about IMS in Milan? (there seems to be more than one medical school in Milan...)
I'm planning to apply for (English) medical school in Europe and Italy has sparked an interest in me because I would prefer to live in Italy over Eastern Europe. But I want to make sure what I'm getting myself into before investing 6 years of my life + lot of $$$.
Things that concern me:
1. Unlike some med schools in Poland I looked at, none of Italian med schools offer clinical rotations in US. I don't know any Italian, and I will probably learn some Italian once I start med school, and it probably depends on how quickly you pick up a new language but how do non-EU/Italian students find conversing with patients in Italian? is it even possible?
2. In some med schools, drop out rate is alarmingly high (~50%) for non-EU students. How is it like in IMS Milan?
3. Finally, and this is what concerns me the most, after you graduate, can you secure a job/residency? I read somewhere that with all these English-medical schools popping up in Europe, many students fail to get their degree recognized anywhere after they graduate. I am non-EU citizen (I'm from New Zealand), and I would really like to work in the US after I finish med school. Is that a possibility? I was wondering if you know anyone from IMS Milan, or any other English medical schools in Italy that managed to secure a place in US after they graduated? (non-US citizens).
Also, if that doesn't work out too well, I don't mind living in Europe. I'm not sure how things work after you graduate, but I assume you have to sit some sort of test to get the license to practice medicine in that country. Say, if I choose to stay in Italy, do I have to sit that medical licensing test in Italian? or English?