IT/Informatics Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xero2xfinity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one become an Informatics Pharmacist (Epic Willow Certification). How much do Informatics Pharmacists make?

I am currently at working as a pharmacy technician at a hospital setting and do not see myself working retail, yet do not want to pursue a residency. I am interested in technology and would rather work with computers and apply my knowledge into it.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Informatics pharmacists typically make staff pharmacist salary or a little more, which could be roughly anywhere from $41-70/hr starting out depending on where you live. Much better hours however.

You will not get an informatics job without either a residency or hospital pharmacist experience. Believe me, if that was possible I would have done it. Your options are completing a PGY2 in informatics, which I don't consider a necessity but it is probably the safest and most direct route. On the other end of the spectrum, you can get a hospital staffing job and gain experience, volunteer for any technology based projects you can, then apply to jobs. I did the former and landed an informatics position in a little over two years, but I was willing to move anywhere to achieve my goal.

Reactions: 2 users
I would advise against taking out $200k+ in loans to go to pharmacy school if your sole interest is Informatics Pharmacy. These positions tend to be very far and few in between, and typically require you to relocate just about anywhere. 60-70% of the jobs are in retail. You have a much better chance of getting into the field by going into pure IT.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm a 2016 grad and just got a job in informatics!!!! :p I didn't think I qualified for the job as I have no experience working in hospital while in school nor residency training. It's in a small rural town in my state and the hospital isn't one of the big names here (it is very well known in the town, tho). but who cares!!! I got my foot in the door and that's all I care about.

I don't know how things are going to change in the next few years.. but look for small-ish hospitals and rural areas to increase your chance. I'm really glad I got this opportunity!

Hey! I'm a 2016 grad and just got a job in informatics!!!! :p I didn't think I qualified for the job as I have no experience working in hospital while in school nor residency training. It's in a small rural town in my state and the hospital isn't one of the big names here (it is very well known in the town, tho). but who cares!!! I got my foot in the door and that's all I care about.

I don't know how things are going to change in the next few years.. but look for small-ish hospitals and rural areas to increase your chance. I'm really glad I got this opportunity!
Wow. Good job and good luck! Very rare to get such a job without some experience. What EMR are you using?

I'm an informatics pharmacist without any residency training or hospital experience outside of rotations. I made the switch after working as a floater in retail. My experience is not common though. My company wanted to hire a pharmacist that had experience in both their EHR and pharmacy software, but realized it would be unlikely to find someone with those qualifications. I had initially interviewed for a staff pharmacist position with them, but didn't get it due to a lack of experience. However, I did interview well so they asked if I would be interested in the informatics position.

This is in LTC. As for salary, it's more than retail. I'm in a moderate sized city with a low cost of living. I currently support two pharmacies with plans to add one or two more. In addition to informatics, I also manage their ADCs and automation. It has been a very fulfilling job so far.

To become a willow certified pharmacist, you need to work for a health system using Epic and they need to endorse you to receive the training.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Did you use indeed or other job sites to locate the job or was by word of mouth through a friend?

I'm an informatics pharmacist without any residency training or hospital experience outside of rotations. I made the switch after working as a floater in retail. My experience is not common though. My company wanted to hire a pharmacist that had experience in both their EHR and pharmacy software, but realized it would be unlikely to find someone with those qualifications. I had initially interviewed for a staff pharmacist position with them, but didn't get it due to a lack of experience. However, I did interview well so they asked if I would be interested in the informatics position.

This is in LTC. As for salary, it's more than retail. I'm in a moderate sized city with a low cost of living. I currently support two pharmacies with plans to add one or two more. In addition to informatics, I also manage their ADCs and automation. It has been a very fulfilling job so far.

To become a willow certified pharmacist, you need to work for a health system using Epic and they need to endorse you to receive the training.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

It's strange that none of their current staff pharmacists were interested in the job. It's the same with my current job, none of the current pharmacists were interested in the informatics position so they went for an outside hire. I don't know if everyone just has it in their head that the ultimate goal is getting a clinical position or if there is some other reason. Personally, I was glad to give up my clinical job that consisted of rotating days and evenings, the odd night shift, working every other weekend, and rotating holidays. Now I work M-F office hours, no weekends, no holidays, make more money, and get to make decisions that affect patient care for the entire health system. I'm involved with order set development and review as well, so instead of having to change how we practice at an individual level, I can influence it at the top. It's a pretty decent gig.

Did you use indeed or other job sites to locate the job or was by word of mouth through a friend?

I have the Indeed app on my phone and check it every day. Informatics pharmacist is one of my daily searches because, hey, you never know when a great opportunity will pop up. If you really want to do this you can make it happen, but you will have to move. Otherwise you could wait your entire life for that perfect spot to open up right in your town and even then you might not get it.

Reactions: 1 user

Congratulations. Did you have any previous IT experience, and were you already licensed when you applied?

Wow. Good job and good luck! Very rare to get such a job without some experience. What EMR are you using?

Thank you!! It will be Meditech. I wish it was Epic... but oh well. They said once I get used to the system, they want me to expand my area to other systems used within the hospital network (outpatient, radiology, cancer center, etc).

It was from our DEAN!!!!!! THANK YOU DEAN LOVE YOU DEAN. I think the hospital was looking for someone since April, and maybe they couldn't find anybody. So they sent it to our Dean in May. The ad said its preference includes someone with at least 1-2 yr experience in hospital. But their requirements were pretty simple. So I applied!

Congratulations. Did you have any previous IT experience, and were you already licensed when you applied?

Thank you! I've been a GEEK my whole life (secretly), so I've been doing some programming on my own since I was 4. (my mom was a computer teacher, so she taught me VB when I was little.) Although during the interview, I was told that they weren't looking for a coder obviously, but I think it gave them an idea that I really do love working with IT. I don't have my pharmacist license yet. Studying for Naplex currently. I don't have any license/certification/presentable work regarding my IT experience. I just told them what I've been enjoy doing my whole life :)

Thank you!! It will be Meditech. I wish it was Epic... but oh well. They said once I get used to the system, they want me to expand my area to other systems used within the hospital network (outpatient, radiology, cancer center, etc).

Hey, I was hired to work on Meditech and then they announced the switch to Epic a few months in. You never know!

Reactions: 1 user
You may actually need a residency for an informatics position; at least I'm guessing it would be prefered. As a matter of fact I think there are a few residencies specifically based on informatics available.

I'm not sure what all they do in retail but from my brief experience in the hospital they are in charge of the automated filling machine(s), remap ndc's for barcode scanning, make changes in the pharmacy and hospital software, maybe even play around with premade order sets. I'm not sure if you need much knowledge in coding or not; it seems like systems epic would have a user interface built in for modifications but I have no idea. They also monitor very closely the relay/transition of information from hospital to pharmacy and the one I talked to made a big deal out of HIPPA and how they are always monitoring access to profiles and stuff like that. There is also a huge focus on patients safety; implementing and evaluating failsafes in the software to minimize errors.

Seems like it could be a nice job with fairly decent job security; seeing as your knowledge/skill set regarding the specific software and workflow you deal with cannot easily be replaced overnight. That being said it could probably get kind of boring.

Last edited:
Hey, I was hired to work on Meditech and then they announced the switch to Epic a few months in. You never know!

Yuck! Meditech! Possibly the worst system I have ever encountered in my career. Second worst, Siemens.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't think Meditech was that bad, but it's also the only system I've ever used, so that's not exactly a rousing endorsement. We're moving to Epic in the next year or so.

@gwarm01, I'm starting to wonder if we work for the same outfit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I didn't think Meditech was that bad, but it's also the only system I've ever used, so that's not exactly a rousing endorsement. We're moving to Epic in the next year or so.

Heyy! I haven't started my job yet, but can I message you for advices & tips in the future? Pleaseeee??? I don't know anything. I don't even know what I don't know! It's pitch black here. I'm sure once I get thrown in, things will make more sense hopefully lol...

After creeping through your post history I think so too. Unless there are any other hospitals transitioning to Epic around here.

COPE verification supposed to make things faster and more efficient. With Meditech, I can manually enter 50+ orders before meditech let me verify 10 meds. Freaking ridiculous.

Glad that you are moving to Epic.

COPE verification supposed to make things faster and more efficient. With Meditech, I can manually enter 50+ orders before meditech let me verify 10 meds. Freaking ridiculous.

Glad that you are moving to Epic.

Well (strained laughter), if you do take your informatics job seriously, I hope that you know that Meditech, Epic, and VA's VistA share the same underlying technology in M (Meditech actually uses a 'better' form than Epic and VistA). Meditech gives all sorts of headaches that a young pharmacist will learn all sorts of informatics lessons for when you do upgrade someday to another system. The hardest system to start from a fix perspective actually is Epic, because you have to deal with both the baseline M and the Intersystems Cache version of classes if you end up having to do major troubleshooting. Since you will spend some crank time with Meditech, make it a point to figure out how the data lifecycle works, and how those packages are implemented. You'll find that handy if you move to other systems. The way the industry tells the story, it is the difference between the American philosophy that a car that breaks down all the time but is easily fixable cheaply by complete *****s (Meditech), the German philosophy that a car rarely breaks down but when it does, it requires expert tuning by professionals (Epic), and the Italian philosophy that while a car breaks down all the time and it takes artisan engineers to fix any *(@ing part, it's customizable to consumer taste irrespective if the customer wants Hello Kitty seats with a puke green exterior (VistA).

I would disagree slightly about the necessity (or even fundamental requirement) of the residency programs. The NIH Fellowship (my route) work just as well or better in certain quarters. Those who had CS undergrads still are routinely accepted right out of pharmacy programs and still are accepted into Verona and Braintree that way. And since I do see the appointments in academia and the feds, it's mostly staffed by people who really wanted it and worked at it through job experience rather than formal qualifications (though formal qualifications don't hurt).

I echo the above comment about Siemens and Meditech being *()# systems. I'd add my all-time most hated system that I trained on and worked as an intern with (which gives my age), pdx, as the singularly worst system if you wanted to get any real work done. PDX also was unstable and crashed with corrupt data entry (no ACID compliance) all the time which made it real fun around DEA Inventory checkups.

Last edited:
Well (strained laughter), if you do take your informatics job seriously, I hope that you know that Meditech, Epic, and VA's VistA share the same underlying technology in M (Meditech actually uses a 'better' form than Epic and VistA). Meditech gives all sorts of headaches that a young pharmacist will learn all sorts of informatics lessons for when you do upgrade someday to another system. The hardest system to start from a fix perspective actually is Epic, because you have to deal with both the baseline M and the Intersystems Cache version of classes if you end up having to do major troubleshooting.

This is interesting and is something my manager told me early on in my job. You'd never know that Epic and Meditech were coded on the same language to look at them. I guess it just goes to show what difference a decent GUI can make to the end users. Having used both Epic and Meditech at different hospitals, I can see the value of both. Epic was great for my job at a larger, high acuity pediatric hospital. Maybe it was just the way our team built it, but it seemed to offer so much more flexibility as an end-user. Meditech feels more rigid in what it will allow me to do as a pharmacist, but it is perfectly functional. I use it at my PRN gig in a small community hospital. It's all routine orders, nothing too critical, and Meditech is a great solution for this type of institution.

A lot of my views between the two are influenced by the fact that I have several years of clinical practice with Epic and barely any with Meditech, but now have been working IT with Meditech for about six months and have never seen the back end of Epic. I'll admit to having an overly glowing opinion of Epic, which was probably brought on by it being the EMR I was trained on at my very first pharmacist job. I wonder how different the two systems will be once I finally start working on it?

To quote the High Sparrow, "What will we find when we strip away your finery?"

This is interesting and is something my manager told me early on in my job. You'd never know that Epic and Meditech were coded on the same language to look at them. I guess it just goes to show what difference a decent GUI can make to the end users. Having used both Epic and Meditech at different hospitals, I can see the value of both. Epic was great for my job at a larger, high acuity pediatric hospital. Maybe it was just the way our team built it, but it seemed to offer so much more flexibility as an end-user. Meditech feels more rigid in what it will allow me to do as a pharmacist, but it is perfectly functional. I use it at my PRN gig in a small community hospital. It's all routine orders, nothing too critical, and Meditech is a great solution for this type of institution.

A lot of my views between the two are influenced by the fact that I have several years of clinical practice with Epic and barely any with Meditech, but now have been working IT with Meditech for about six months and have never seen the back end of Epic. I'll admit to having an overly glowing opinion of Epic, which was probably brought on by it being the EMR I was trained on at my very first pharmacist job. I wonder how different the two systems will be once I finally start working on it?

To quote the High Sparrow, "What will we find when we strip away your finery?"

Yes, the GUI (and workflow design that you impose) make all the difference, though you'll have to deal with the guts such that you'll acquire a working knowledge if nothing else. Meditech turns out to be not that rigid either, it'll take an informatics pharmacist to define alternate workflows and such, but it's actually more flexible than Epic when you actually implement the alternate menu options (and yes I do consult for Verona while saying this). However, a place that runs Meditech is less likely to sink resources into an informatics pharmacist or clinical applications coordinator and thus doesn't customize their defaults as much. I do prefer Epic over Meditech now that I have had a lot of experience, but I still vastly prefer VistA over Epic and that's not just operational loyalty. Epic hasn't hit the critical point yet of being a system that stores data longer than a decade in most cases, and for the sites that do, they find that Epic doesn't scale as well to those problems without lots of Cache intervention. VistA has, and still runs well. For Epic, that's what they're working on internally right now in development is a more stable system. Fortunately at the astronomical rates that hospitals have been willing to pay Epic (to the point that the industry believes the C-suites were too gullable), that's going to be funded into the long-term future.

Well (strained laughter), if you do take your informatics job seriously, I hope that you know that Meditech, Epic, and VA's VistA share the same underlying technology in M (Meditech actually uses a 'better' form than Epic and VistA). Meditech gives all sorts of headaches that a young pharmacist will learn all sorts of informatics lessons for when you do upgrade someday to another system. The hardest system to start from a fix perspective actually is Epic, because you have to deal with both the baseline M and the Intersystems Cache version of classes if you end up having to do major troubleshooting. Since you will spend some crank time with Meditech, make it a point to figure out how the data lifecycle works, and how those packages are implemented. You'll find that handy if you move to other systems. The way the industry tells the story, it is the difference between the American philosophy that a car that breaks down all the time but is easily fixable cheaply by complete *****s (Meditech), the German philosophy that a car rarely breaks down but when it does, it requires expert tuning by professionals (Epic), and the Italian philosophy that while a car breaks down all the time and it takes artisan engineers to fix any *(@ing part, it's customizable to consumer taste irrespective if the customer wants Hello Kitty seats with a puke green exterior (VistA).

I would disagree slightly about the necessity (or even fundamental requirement) of the residency programs. The NIH Fellowship (my route) work just as well or better in certain quarters. Those who had CS undergrads still are routinely accepted right out of pharmacy programs and still are accepted into Verona and Braintree that way. And since I do see the appointments in academia and the feds, it's mostly staffed by people who really wanted it and worked at it through job experience rather than formal qualifications (though formal qualifications don't hurt).

I echo the above comment about Siemens and Meditech being *()# systems. I'd add my all-time most hated system that I trained on and worked as an intern with (which gives my age), pdx, as the singularly worst system if you wanted to get any real work done. PDX also was unstable and crashed with corrupt data entry (no ACID compliance) all the time which made it real fun around DEA Inventory checkups.

Yikes. I don't even want to think abut back-end stuff. I had to help out with some builds in Siemens and Epic, and a lot of rudimentary stuff had to be done through mainframe environment using terminal.

I was purely speaking in the end-user perspective. Maybe it is different in other hospitals, but the Meditech I used, refreshes entire patient profile after every medication verification. During the evening rush, it can almost make me mental waiting for verification delay to clear. Now, I haven't dealt with any maintenance portion of the system so I can't comment on that. But as far as how system functions, it is by for the worst system I have encountered and followed closely by Siemens.

By the way love your analogies.

I recently got a lead for an IT analyst job that will train me for EPIC certification, however, they won't let me touch the pharmacy and I would be paid an analyst 1 salary which is taking a 50% pay cut of a retail pharmacist salary at least. I'm wondering, how challenging is it to get the EPIC certification and would it be to my advantage to bite the bullet for one year to get the certificate in hopes of landing an IT pharmacist job afterwards? This job won't let me work at the pharmacy at all, I already asked.

I am a pharmacist out of school nearly 22 years and unemployed now for 3 months. You can get a Masters in Health Informatics, no hospital experience required because there is a niche for pharmacist in this and it is expected to grow by nearly 20% by 2022. So, screw retail pharmacy and if I have to work low pay mom pharmacy jobs I will until I get my masters. I am sick of pharmacy and how it has evolved. I would never advise the someone to even think about being a pharmacist. I regret my decision most everyday. However, I believe what I am doing by getting a masters is getting in informatics on the front end and as it grows, I think I will still have job security, unlike now where I am so sick of filling out Apps and sending out resumes just to get NO REPLIES. I have not been called yet for one single interview. Seriously people.....if you want to be in healthcare that is great....just avoid pharmacy. There are so many other avenues you can take and have job security. Just satin'.

I am a pharmacist out of school nearly 22 years and unemployed now for 3 months. You can get a Masters in Health Informatics, no hospital experience required because there is a niche for pharmacist in this and it is expected to grow by nearly 20% by 2022. So, screw retail pharmacy and if I have to work low pay mom pharmacy jobs I will until I get my masters. I am sick of pharmacy and how it has evolved. I would never advise the someone to even think about being a pharmacist. I regret my decision most everyday. However, I believe what I am doing by getting a masters is getting in informatics on the front end and as it grows, I think I will still have job security, unlike now where I am so sick of filling out Apps and sending out resumes just to get NO REPLIES. I have not been called yet for one single interview. Seriously people.....if you want to be in healthcare that is great....just avoid pharmacy. There are so many other avenues you can take and have job security. Just satin'.

Strong first post....just satin'.

What sort of pharmacy background do you have? The masters may help, but having solid workflow knowledge is invaluable. Then again, if you are willing to move anywhere you could really increase your chances of landing that informatics position.

How does one become an Informatics Pharmacist (Epic Willow Certification). How much do Informatics Pharmacists make?

I am currently at working as a pharmacy technician at a hospital setting and do not see myself working retail, yet do not want to pursue a residency. I am interested in technology and would rather work with computers and apply my knowledge into it.

Thank you.

When I was applying to pharmacy informatics positions 2.5 years ago, the pay range was quite substantial. I interviewed and received offers to 4 different hospitals located around the country and it ranged from 94k-150k. Lots of factors (e.g. work experience, training, location, etc) that will influence the payscale, but all my friends have been offered around the same amount. I've had a few friends start at 150k+, but these were usually more pharmacy informatics manager roles.

In regards to getting into informatics without a residency, I actually make a lot of youtube videos about pharmacy informatics and here is one in which I talk about that:

Hope that helps!
Brian