Issue with ophthalmology elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway6969

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Background, I am currently a matched M4 (in internal medicine) from a USMD school and about to graduate in less than 2 months. During the month of February I took an ophthalmology elective for 2 weeks. During this elective, I would show up to clinic at 8am and the ophthalmology residents whom I worked with (and knew I was going in to IM) would tell me to go home every day before noon (I never asked them to leave early, but rather they told me to "go home and enjoy the remainder of my 4th year...the chief even told me on my first day that I should just "hang out for a couple hours in clinic and then go home.")

Fast forward to the last day of the rotation... an attending emailed me saying that I had not been present in clinic for enough hours and that I would have to re-mediate the elective(with the possibility of not able to graduate with my class). I was not given any kind of syllabus prior to the elective and interacted with that aforementioned attending one time in clinic. I have emailed the attending about the remediation process and she has been extremely vague about how/when I can re mediate (oftentimes not even responding to my emails).

My question is this, do I have any recourse to challenge the remediation request of the attending? I am very concerned about not graduating on time, and I would never have left clinic on my own had the residents not told me to do so.

FWIW, the residents whom I worked with during the two weeks gave me stellar evaluations and I have done very well on my other elective rotations during 4th year as well as the rest of medical school.

Sorry for the long post...any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you tell the attending you were sent home early each day?

Did you tell the attending you were sent home early each day?

I did. She said something vague like "I told the residents in the past not to send students early" and said she didn't want to argue with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah take it up with student affairs. That's ridiculous. You can't be expected to read the mind of someone that was never there, with no written instructions.

Her telling you that she'd told the residents not to do this is your strongest argument. She never told you her expectations and she'd had this problem before.

Reactions: 1 user