Is this real life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
To start off, I am using BR for Biochemistry. The first chapter, "Structure and Function in Cells and Viruses" wasn't terrible, but I managed to escape with 50% correct 50/100 (Not the greatest, but I can survive). So I just made it to the second chapter in BR Biochemistry book, "Metabolic Components." I completed Phase I and scored around 45% and reviewed my mistakes. There were 4-5 I missed because I changed the answer, so I've learned to stick with my first choice. Next, I started Phase II and LITERALLY failed. I'm assuming I could have guessed and pulled a better score. An outstanding 25% (5/20 correct). So far in my BR books I've scored between 45-65% on most of their passages, but this one completely stumped me. I felt as if I understood the material in the Chapter, but when I took the practice test I had no clue what was going on. Not sure where to go from this point. Some chapters I feel confident in and others there is just too much information. Can anyone provide any help?

Members don't see this ad.

To start off, I am using BR for Biochemistry. The first chapter, "Structure and Function in Cells and Viruses" wasn't terrible, but I managed to escape with 50% correct 50/100 (Not the greatest, but I can survive). So I just made it to the second chapter in BR Biochemistry book, "Metabolic Components." I completed Phase I and scored around 45% and reviewed my mistakes. There were 4-5 I missed because I changed the answer, so I've learned to stick with my first choice. Next, I started Phase II and LITERALLY failed. I'm assuming I could have guessed and pulled a better score. An outstanding 25% (5/20 correct). So far in my BR books I've scored between 45-65% on most of their passages, but this one completely stumped me. I felt as if I understood the material in the Chapter, but when I took the practice test I had no clue what was going on. Not sure where to go from this point. Some chapters I feel confident in and others there is just too much information. Can anyone provide any help?
I started out with TBR too but I think it is way overrated. They offer too much info and you cannot retain it all. The MCAT is more about critical thinking then memorizing minute facts. Their passages I also feel are overrated. They ask about details that won't be presented until future chapters. Their passages seem to be more for content learning than for actual MCAT practice. I really think TPR and ek are plenty for content and then just hit passages hard.

I started out with TBR too but I think it is way overrated. They offer too much info and you cannot retain it all. The MCAT is more about critical thinking then memorizing minute facts. Their passages I also feel are overrated. They ask about details that won't be presented until future chapters. Their passages seem to be more for content learning than for actual MCAT practice. I really think TPR and ek are plenty for content and then just hit passages hard.
If I do poorly on the MCAT I will probably switch to EK. I feel like BR is the teacher you really like, but test you on information you have never saw before. I'm just worried about some of the questions I am going to encounter on the actual MCAT...

If I do poorly on the MCAT I will probably switch to EK. I feel like BR is the teacher you really like, but test you on information you have never saw before. I'm just worried about some of the questions I am going to encounter on the actual MCAT...
I'm using TBR also and I am having similar experiences as you. I'm no longer going to do the passages in phases as they suggest. I'm going to do 3 passages from the chapter I'm currently reviewing and follow up on the remaining passages as I progress. I think TBR is great practice, but they often ask about material not presented in the chapter or passage. I think you'll be fine if your reviewing your mistakes and understanding where you went wrong.

I'm using TBR also and I am having similar experiences as you. I'm no longer going to do the passages in phases as they suggest. I'm going to do 3 passages from the chapter I'm currently reviewing and follow up on the remaining passages as I progress. I think TBR is great practice, but they often ask about material not presented in the chapter or passage. I think you'll be fine if your reviewing your mistakes and understanding where you went wrong.
That is a good strategy. I may just answer 25 questions after the chapter. Then I will answer the other questions later on when I begin practice test. I just hate answering passages that I don't have any background information on. It has been 5 years since I've taken a Biology course, so I am STRUGGLING on certain topics. Thank you for the confidence boost!