Is this common practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chr123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently moved to a new city for school and went to one of the big dentist chains (the same one that I used in my old city).

The dentist did an exam and he said everything looked good except that I may grind my teeth.

The hygienist then did that periodontal probing, which seems to be the new thing. Apparently some of my pockets were 3mm. The "treatment coordinator" then comes and gives me a $600 estimate to do a subgingival irrigation. I said I'd think about it and would like to get my regular cleaning. She said they won't do a cleaning unless I get this other treatment.

I refuse, and ask for my x-rays to go see another dentist for a second opinion. In retrospect, I should have asked to speak with the dentist.

I felt like I was at a shady auto shop.

Can they refuse to clean my teeth because I don't want their extra treatment? This seems to go against patient autonomy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Walk out and refuse to pay and get a second opinion.

...in before the close, yes!

Members don't see this ad :)
The best thing to do in this situation is to yell at the top of your lungs (with your fist partly covering your mouth to create a muffled sound), "aahhh, that hurts!!!" Then run out of the clinic, making sure everybody sees you.

"big dentist chains"

There is the problem! "Chains" are geared to make money first and care about people a distant second.

Your case reminds me of one of my first patient exams out of dental school. The patient had generalized 5+ probing depths, and I recommended a “deep cleaning”. Patient flat out said no, I will get my 6 month “regular cleaning” or adult prophy. Then I said we can do that because that not what your teeth need, and it kind of escalated to a heated argument. In retrospect, I don’t need to argue with patient and have not since. Anyways, periodontal probing is not the new thing lately, it is standard of care. However, 3mm pockets are not pocket but normal depths.

Google your chain and read what people wrote about it. I'll bet there are plenty of others who wrote the same story you posted here.

Perio probing isn't new. It is decades old. What's new is educating people about what the numbers mean and raising awareness about periodontal disease, just like every other disease that afflicts millions of people in the US. You should ask the treatment coordinator what are considered normal pocket depths (others have already alluded to the answer on here), and then ask to speak to the dentist about the recommended treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.