Is there interviewing for prelim/TY programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Encrypted

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there interviews for prelim or TY programs? I'm coming from a new school so don't have much guidance when it comes to residencies haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. SOMETIMES, if you are interviewing for an advanced program (ie. radiology, anesthesia, etc) at the same hospital, they won't make you interview for the prelim/TY, which is "attached" to the advanced program. But that's not the usual case in my experience.

Some prelim programs would let u interview on the same day as your advanced program to make your scheduling easier

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some prelim programs would let u interview on the same day as your advanced program to make your scheduling easier

That, too. I had 2 or 3 instances where I had interviews for both in one day. Others were unable to work that out and I had to go twice.

Thanks for the replies! Second question, do I need a second PS or LoR for prelim/TY programs?

Thanks for the replies! Second question, do I need a second PS or LoR for prelim/TY programs?

No. They know that you're applying to an advanced specialty. There's no point writing a new PS claiming you love IM and want to do that when you're applying for something else as an advanced program. If you want, you can write one about what you think you will or what you want to gain out of the prelim/TY that will help you later on in training with your advanced program, but it isn't necessary. I did send an extra LOR from an IM doc for my prelims, but they still got LORs meant for my advanced specialty, too.

Reactions: 1 user