Is there any job you can reasonably do with one year of residency complete?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExcaliburPrime1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that it's probably just frustration speaking, but I had a pretty lousy day on the inpatient unit at the VA I'm rotating, and this insane thought struck me: "You're a week away from finishing PGY-1. Is there a job you can do with your current level of experience that you can live off on?"

I can't think of anything, and probably just as well, so I can focus and get through residency. This sounds really cheesy and obnoxious, but I think I care too much about the patients I see, to the point that it takes a lot out of me every day, doing things I think are basic (having a good chat with them, explaining any medication changes, going in detail over expected benefits and side effects from meds, doing a little supportive therapy at least, etc.) but with the onerous paperwork burden, disinterested attendings who have to be dragged into seeing patients early in the day so you can get some work done, and random trips to the ER to admit someone in the middle of the day when you're trying to be productive take their toll.

Anyway, ranting and venting aside, is there something you can do with just a year of internship done? :)

Members don't see this ad.

You could run a rural Appalachia cash pay pain pill mill!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I had this conversation before on here, and it must vary by state. There is a "residency trained psychiatrist" in a metropolitan area around where I live who was kicked out of two separate residencies for misconduct.

I only know this because the phrase on his web-site of "residency trained psychiatrist" struck me as odd. He made it sound exotic. Aren't all doctors residency trained? So I looked him up on the state board site and saw the information about his two incomplete residencies, including rather lurid details on why he was let go from each.

I believe at the time when I asked around here, I was told that states set a minimum number of years in a residency but not that you graduate from the program, or even be in good standing.

I believe in my state only one year of residency is required.

What I am still unsure of is the legality of him calling himself a psychiatrist. I don't know how that term is defined by the state.

But "residency trained"--too clever. It's true in the same way that I attended Harvard--when I was on vacation once and looking around the campus for fun.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
There is a "residency trained psychiatrist" in a metropolitan area around where I live who was kicked out of two separate residencies for misconduct.
clinically_studied_ingredient.png

xkcd: Clinically Studied Ingredient

Reactions: 2 users
What I am still unsure of is the legality of him calling himself a psychiatrist. I don't know how that term is defined by the state.

I doubt it is defined by any state, other than that someone should probably have a medical license or at least an MD before calling themselves a psychiatrist.

You could run a rural Appalachia cash pay pain pill mill!

Appalachian states these days tend to have tougher regulations and restrictions on pain clinics than average. People who want dodgy prescription opioids in large volumes from that part of the world tend to head to commute regularly to Florida.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard a couple of residents discussing this once but never did any research on it myself, but what about applying for disability insurance and then cashing out on "inability to work due to emotional trauma"? You get 70% of your resident salary but can stay home and do nothing. Downside is you can't work and will probably get bored pretty quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to med school in West Virginia and I heard of people working in the very, very rural areas of the state with just one year of residency, usually in their small ED, maybe covering their few impatient beds, too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I heard a couple of residents discussing this once but never did any research on it myself, but what about applying for disability insurance and then cashing out on "inability to work due to emotional trauma"? You get 70% of your resident salary but can stay home and do nothing. Downside is you can't work and will probably get bored pretty quickly.

Easier said than done. Insurance would need physician documentation (and probably will refer you outside of your program) that you have ongoing disability from such a thing. You'd need to see a doctor regularly who can sign off you are still unfit to work.

A physician lying about such a thing would be some level of insurance fraud, so I don't see this being a thing.

Back to the original question - after PGY-1 year (and Step 3 completion) you can apply for a full license in most states. I think some states clarify this as a "general practitioner," most find work at an urgent care.

I know that it's probably just frustration speaking, but I had a pretty lousy day on the inpatient unit at the VA I'm rotating, and this insane thought struck me: "You're a week away from finishing PGY-1. Is there a job you can do with your current level of experience that you can live off on?"

I can't think of anything, and probably just as well, so I can focus and get through residency. This sounds really cheesy and obnoxious, but I think I care too much about the patients I see, to the point that it takes a lot out of me every day, doing things I think are basic (having a good chat with them, explaining any medication changes, going in detail over expected benefits and side effects from meds, doing a little supportive therapy at least, etc.) but with the onerous paperwork burden, disinterested attendings who have to be dragged into seeing patients early in the day so you can get some work done, and random trips to the ER to admit someone in the middle of the day when you're trying to be productive take their toll.

Anyway, ranting and venting aside, is there something you can do with just a year of internship done? :)

I had to take some time off from residency due to family issues. I found a gig on locumtenans.com doing health physicals for an insurance company. I had completed my intern year so I had a full medical license. The gig was in Indiana at the time but they email me still about other states. Company paid all travel expenses, hotel, rental, flight. Per diem for food. Long story short I made somewhere between 18-19k in about 24-25 days working days working less than 8 hours a day. Make you sign a form that says you won't provide any medical advice or prescribe meds to any of the clients. Travel to pts houses. Sometimes one the middle of nowhere. Basic history and physical. All done on IPad. Pay was 1099. If I ever get sick of anesthesia i could see myself doing it again. Credentialing was pretty fast as well. I'm gonna say less than 2 weeks.

by one year of training do you mean one year of any training in any residency program? can I do one year of preliminary surgery or one year of preliminary medicine and get my medical license? can anyone confirm?

sounds like 2 years is average for IMG, still didn't mention what kind of training

I've heard prisons will hire folks with just one year of training

Federal prisons, being federal property, technically don't require you to have a medical license to practice medicine. As a matter of actual practice they are not going to hire you with zero training, but it wouldn't actually be illegal to do so.

Federal prisons, being federal property, technically don't require you to have a medical license to practice medicine. As a matter of actual practice they are not going to hire you with zero training, but it wouldn't actually be illegal to do so.
Legally, they require you to have a medical license. In some state or another. You can practice in a Federal prison (or a VA) located in NY if you have a CA license, a FL license, or any other state license. Just doesn't necessarily have to match the location you're actually practicing.

• Haha
I had to take some time off from residency due to family issues. I found a gig on locumtenans.com doing health physicals for an insurance company. I had completed my intern year so I had a full medical license. The gig was in Indiana at the time but they email me still about other states. Company paid all travel expenses, hotel, rental, flight. Per diem for food. Long story short I made somewhere between 18-19k in about 24-25 days working days working less than 8 hours a day. Make you sign a form that says you won't provide any medical advice or prescribe meds to any of the clients. Travel to pts houses. Sometimes one the middle of nowhere. Basic history and physical. All done on IPad. Pay was 1099. If I ever get sick of anesthesia i could see myself doing it again. Credentialing was pretty fast as well. I'm gonna say less than 2 weeks.
Could you please provide me with more info? I’m an IMG with an internship year. Thanks!

Could you please provide me with more info? I’m an IMG with an internship year. Thanks!

From what I've read on these gigs, it's difficult to have consistent work. Patient's forgot you're coming, deny you access, cancel appts and the company doesn't let you know, schedule the appointments in a crazy and inefficient manner when it comes to your route, etc. I don't know if that's true or not, it's all anecdotal.

Lots of non-clinical options with one year of residency - consulting, finance/investing, etc. Generally these roles care more about pedigree though and they might want you to back and get an MBA to be a competitive if you didn't go to a name brand medical school

I think this is in Missouri were an MD without residency can work under a board certified physician for several years.