Is there a limit on years of PGY-training one can receive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manilamailman2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All.

I have looked through all of these forums but have not found a definitive answer. I have also tried to look things up elsewhere and also directly ask individuals in positions of authority. But I have not yet had a clear cut answer.

For the sake of anonymity, I will not be very specific but ask a general question with a specific aim in mind to answer.

I have finished IM training PGY1-3 without a chief residency year.
I am currently in a fellowship training right now.
However in light of certain developments and opportunities, I plan to switch sub-specialties (another subspecialty within IM). However, any switch in specialties will coincide with the end of the current fellowship training. Therefore, I have no current plans to terminate any contracts or breach any agreements.

If all goes according to plan, then I will have finished done PGY1 to PGY8.

Several hospitals program websites do list housestaff salaries up to PGY8.

However, is there a limit to how long one can receive PGY training? Perhaps something to do with how much government funding a hospital/program receives?

I mean the prototype PGY1-PGY3 + PGY4 Chief Year + PGY5-7 Fellowship + PGY-8 Interventional year is fairly often done. Not to mention the various surgical subspecialties.

Any input would be wonderful.

Thank you and have a nice day.

ManilaMailMan (Not actually from Manila and not actually a MailMan)

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine they'd just eventually stop paying one beyond some PGY-X level regardless of years beyond it (X depending on whatever factors, e.g. 7 or 8). If a program is willing to take on a trainee, I imagine there's no hard limit on how long one can keep training (and getting underpaid).

Last edited:
They'll either cap the pay or provide a nominal amount if you even qualify that high. Typically your actual pgy is irrelevant, first year Im fellows are all pgy4, even if you did another residency first. It isn't like this other fellowship is a continuation of your current fellowship but rather your original im training so you'll probably be demoted back to 4 but need to ask your for for specific details.

The only limit is how long you can convince someone to keep paying you a crap salary. Which is essentially infinite. I've personally known 2 PGY-12+ residents.

As discussed in this thread, you're going to cap out pay-wise at the PGY-8/9 level at most places.