Is the ortho "dream" lifestyle in NY dead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid the ortho practices were making bank with all the assistants doing the work. If I plan to open a practice in NY can I make the same a reality?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Still possible. I personally know a couple grads 4 years out killing it

Members don't see this ad :)
lol it's been dead for years, especially in NYC the most expensive filthy city in the world

Everyone does ortho to some degree (beyond Invisalign, many gp's do bracket and chain).

Let go of this ridiculous dream and become a real dentist ;)

Like Cali, NY is oversaturated with orthodontists, but it's also saturated with people so the patients to doctors ratio in NY is probably the same as in rural areas. Oversaturation of GPs also means more referral sources. People in big cities tend to care more about their appearance than people in less populated areas. There are also more working adults (recently divorced men/women, parents of the existing patients, recent college grads with good paying job etc) in big cities who want braces. Many wear braces 2 or 3 times because they didn't wear their retainers.

It depends on how good are your clinical and business skills. People will line up to see you no matter where you are. Having a good reputation is very important.

Reactions: 1 users