Is residency swap possible post-match, (preferably) before starting intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fm28080

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is impossible. It would be a flat-out match violation.

Thanks for the response. Do you mean it's impossible just before starting intern year, or after working 45 days as well?

Thanks for the response. Do you mean it's impossible just before starting intern year, or after working 45 days as well?
After working 45 days it would not be a match violation.

Good luck convincing the program directors. And figuring out how to do it within the confines of your residency contract.

Last edited:
Tread very carefully here, residency swap is a sort of rumor on SDN - in all honesty, it is often too complex given particular rotations, licensing and "fit" for a different person in a program. You can certainly ask your PD, but you risk alienating yourself right off the bat and placing an inadvertent target on your back. Also, by now you should be in the middle of your hospital credentialling paperwork and state license application - it might be difficult to change so suddenly and still have a resident in track for a July 1 start (especially once you hit the month of May). Plus as Raryn said, I am confident before even starting intern year that such a swap would be a math violation.

Virginia and North Carolina are neighbors. While I know it might be suboptimal living for both of you but it is only 3 years. The best advice would be to tough it out, or at the very least inquire explore the option at the end of intern year if you both absolutely have to.

To others reading this - this is why there is that final step of rank list certification. If you really don't want to be at a particular program like OP, then think hard before ranking it.

Reactions: 1 users
I always wonder about people posting about swaps. Is it that easy? Has anyone successfully swapped their residency location with another location/specialty?