Is research necessary to match into a decent academic program for radiology if my step score is 235?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XxSynapsexX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I scored much lower than expected. Thought Id atleast hit 240s based on all my practice scores. Do I need research to make up for the lackluster step score? or will doing well in grades and step 2 be enough to match a mid- low tier DR program?

By the way I am an MD at a top 50 school

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately I scored much lower than expected. Thought Id atleast hit 240s based on all my practice scores. Do I need research to make up for the lackluster step score? or will doing well in grades and step 2 be enough to match a mid- low tier DR program?

By the way I am an MD at a top 50 school
You'll be fine, man. Your score is below average for rads, but you can still match to a good program. Top 50 helps also.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine, man. Your score is below average for rads, but you can still match to a good program. Top 50 helps also.
What is an example of a good program you would say is in my reach?

Im in the southeast (Florida area) so I have the best shot there. I would be completely content at matching at USF,UF,UM,FSU,FAU,FIU.
However I am open to any academic program that is reasonable.

Im in the southeast (Florida area) so I have the best shot there. I would be completely content at matching at USF,UF,UM,FSU,FAU,FIU.
However I am open to any academic program that is reasonable.

You should definitely get interviews at a lot of South-East programs with that step score. I was also in the Southeast with a similar step score and got interviews at pretty much everywhere I applied in the SE except for Duke.