Is PBL normal for podiatry schools/med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VolibearMain

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have a histo/biochem combined class and our method of learning and a huge chunk of our grade is on pbl without lecture. We are given a scenario on day one and expected to figure out the reasons a womans blood levels are off (and the normal blood levels), the systems behind it, hormones etc, medications, pathways.

It just seems absurd to not teach a class and grade them on it.

Members don't see this ad.

We have a histo/biochem combined class and our method of learning and a huge chunk of our grade is on pbl without lecture. We are given a scenario on day one and expected to figure out the reasons a womans blood levels are off (and the normal blood levels), the systems behind it, hormones etc, medications, pathways.

It just seems absurd to not teach a class and grade them on it.
I think a lot of schools incorporate problem based learning, but you know, usually after you've actually learned the requisite material.

Have you asked any upperclassmen about it?

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

I think a lot of schools incorporate problem based learning, but you know, usually after you've actually learned the requisite material.

Have you asked any upperclassmen about it?

I have and they are all a bit shocked right now because we are literally called the "guinea pigs" of this years new method. And of course we havent learned the material (Genius professors). I tried to be a little proactive and research the topic in our syllabus schedule, dont see it at all. Yet we are being quizzed on it. The topic was literally looking at given blood values of a patient. google searching the appropriate healthy values, identifying the abnormal values, the reasoning behind each values measurement/recording, the possible pathology, the medication etc. And we are not sure how much detail to go into. RIP me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it the medical schools fault your ug spoon fed you info? (Not attacking you) All my biochem and cell bio were applied short answer questions. It's difficult I learn this style of question, but applying info is very important for treating conditions.

Is it the medical schools fault your ug spoon fed you info? (Not attacking you) All my biochem and cell bio were applied short answer questions. It's difficult I learn this style of question, but applying info is very important for treating conditions.

I went to an undergrad institution better than yours so dont assume they spoon fed me. It is absurd to triple penalize students without teaching them. Think before you speak.

I went to an undergrad institution better than yours so dont assume they spoon fed me. It is absurd to triple penalize students without teaching them. Think before you speak.
@Nowehjose @VolibearMain My undergrad could beat your undergrad up.

I think jose has a point. There are a lot of undergrad institutions that allow professors to say, "memorize what's on the slides for the test." You are expected to master the material (not spoon feeding) and then apply it. If you are in a class of 200+ there is no other way to teach. Understandable. There are some undergrad classes that are taught by PBL. This is much more difficult because it is a new style of learning. As you practice and get used to the curriculum structure you will see the benefits. It also gets a lot easier. Make to go to office hours if you need additional help.

@Nowehjose @VolibearMain My undergrad could beat your undergrad up.

I think jose has a point. There are a lot of undergrad institutions that allow professors to say, "memorize what's on the slides for the test." You are expected to master the material (not spoon feeding) and then apply it. If you are in a class of 200+ there is no other way to teach. Understandable. There are some undergrad classes that are taught by PBL. This is much more difficult because it is a new style of learning. As you practice and get used to the curriculum structure you will see the benefits. It also gets a lot easier. Make to go to office hours if you need additional help.

PBL makes sense when testing the knowledge. I support it, but on day 1 of classes making 4 perecent of your grade. Plus 3 percent for a quiz on it, (7%) on something not taught, is as I said. Absurd.

It's applied thinking. You need to know mechanisms and stuff. If you memorize but do not understand the cycles, then you cannot apply it. I spent dozens of sleepless nights studying for cell bio and biochem in UG. I watched a lot of youtube to understand the aspects of the krebs and applications. I'm not bashing, I have heard similar things from my friends who were MD students at my UG school. I'm just saying memorizing is not enough, understanding is key. YOUTUBE.

It's applied thinking. You need to know mechanisms and stuff. If you memorize but do not understand the cycles, then you cannot apply it. I spent dozens of sleepless nights studying for cell bio and biochem in UG. I watched a lot of youtube to understand the aspects of the krebs and applications. I'm not bashing, I have heard similar things from my friends who were MD students at my UG school. I'm just saying memorizing is not enough, understanding is key. YOUTUBE.
Youre off topic. This isnt about understanding . This is about teaching

Where are you at?
Kent state. I picked the school because it seemed to have a good curriculum that allowed students to flow at their own pace. From talking to alot of second years they were able to set their own schedules and work around what suited their learning styles. Well one of our major classes has been changed (histo/biochem) quite a bit . I personally wouldnt recommend this school anymore. If youre going to be forced to work on a strict schedule and have multiple classes of mandatory attendence ,might as well go to a program with solid passrates like mwu, or cpm. I also get the vibe from most students that they dont know what they are talking about or talking out of their a$$. Ive had someone say that 25% of people fail the aplme by a fixed forced rate , even if everyone performs well, ive had another person say you can get straight c's all throughout education and get a residency because you know what youre doing, people who want to party every weekend. Bottom line is, if this pbl thing ends up being a disaster (and close to 50% of your grade) , dont pick this program

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive had someone say that 25% of people fail the aplme by a fixed forced rate
One of the upperclassmen in the APMLE thread just said there was an 88% national first time pass rate, class of 2019 just got their results back today. So a fail rate of 12%. Like I said, 100% of people can potentially pass the exam and there is no "fixed forced rate". Whoever told you that is plainly wrong.

One of the upperclassmen in the APMLE thread just said there was an 88% national first time pass rate, class of 2019 just got their results back today. So a fail rate of 12%. Like I said, 100% of people can potentially pass the exam and there is no "fixed forced rate". Whoever told you that is plainly wrong.

Im not surprised. With the exception of maybe 30-40% of the class, this school is filled people saying silly things.

Not to mention our anatomy professor doesnt believe in providing students with materials to study and just asks us to read the textbook word for word. Kent may be the first medical school to reach new standards of ridiculousness .

Im not surprised. With the exception of maybe 30-40% of the class, this school is filled people saying silly things.

Not to mention our anatomy professor doesnt believe in providing students with materials to study and just asks us to read the textbook word for word. Kent may be the first medical school to reach new standards of ridiculousness .
Transfer before its too late haha

Kent state. I picked the school because it seemed to have a good curriculum that allowed students to flow at their own pace. From talking to alot of second years they were able to set their own schedules and work around what suited their learning styles. Well one of our major classes has been changed (histo/biochem) quite a bit . I personally wouldnt recommend this school anymore. If youre going to be forced to work on a strict schedule and have multiple classes of mandatory attendence ,might as well go to a program with solid passrates like mwu, or cpm. I also get the vibe from most students that they dont know what they are talking about or talking out of their a$$. Ive had someone say that 25% of people fail the aplme by a fixed forced rate , even if everyone performs well, ive had another person say you can get straight c's all throughout education and get a residency because you know what youre doing, people who want to party every weekend. Bottom line is, if this pbl thing ends up being a disaster (and close to 50% of your grade) , dont pick this program

I'm not sure who you've been talking to, but considering the 2017 KSUCPM board pass rate is 92% that alone debunks that guy's statement. Most of your heavy partiers who can't take school seriously will be out by the end of the year.

Also, I'd wait until you have more than a couple of days under your belt before blasting an entire program. I have my complaints about the school (as I would about any school), but a vast majority of people get through fine and land decent residencies. Both Tim and Eble are very approachable, so talk to them if you have issues. Medical school is a huge jump from undergrad, so there will be a transition period before you're acclimated to the workload.

Also, take what people say with a grain of salt. Always. No matter where you go, people are going to talk about things they don't know anything about. As a rule of thumb, don't rely on what upperclassmen tell you (and I'm saying that as an upperclassmen). A lot of their advice can be helpful, but all our perceptions are biased by our own experiences. I've received both great advice and not so great advice from my upperclassmen. I take it into account but I ultimately try to pave my own way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure who you've been talking to, but considering the 2017 KSUCPM board pass rate is 92% that alone debunks that guy's statement. Most of your heavy partiers who can't take school seriously will be out by the end of the year.

Also, I'd wait until you have more than a couple of days under your belt before blasting an entire program. I have my complaints about the school (as I would about any school), but a vast majority of people get through fine and land decent residencies. Both Tim and Eble are very approachable, so talk to them if you have issues. Medical school is a huge jump from undergrad, so there will be a transition period before you're acclimated to the workload.

Also, take what people say with a grain of salt. Always. No matter where you go, people are going to talk about things they don't know anything about. As a rule of thumb, don't rely on what upperclassmen tell you (and I'm saying that as an upperclassmen). A lot of their advice can be helpful, but all our perceptions are biased by our own experiences. I've received both great advice and not so great advice from my upperclassmen. I take it into account but I ultimately try to pave my own way.

You upperclasmen make it this far and cant read a basic statement.
The complaint is not about the workload. It's about the fact that the anatomy professor does not want to cover the material in his class, the histo/biochem professor want to test on material that they havent taught us, and our only source is google. We are going into a quiz with no idea of how in depth we are supposed to research topics.
3 classes (core classes if I may mention) are poor quality.
Props to anyone who can name another medical school in the nation where an anatomy professor emails his students and says my notes etc is the textbook. Just read the whole textbook.
92% pass rate after some 25 people /112 fail out/leave/repeat. Kudos, we are on our way to matching the Caribbean attrition rate.

You upperclasmen make it this far and cant read a basic statement.
The complaint is not about the workload. It's about the fact that the anatomy professor does not want to cover the material in his class, the histo/biochem professor want to test on material that they havent taught us, and our only source is google. We are going into a quiz with no idea of how in depth we are supposed to research topics.
3 classes (core classes if I may mention) are poor quality.
Props to anyone who can name another medical school in the nation where an anatomy professor emails his students and says my notes etc is the textbook. Just read the whole textbook.
92% pass rate after some 25 people /112 fail out/leave/repeat. Kudos, we are on our way to matching the Caribbean attrition rate.

Sure, keep up the great attitude. I'm sure you'll go far in medicine. Do yourself (and everyone else) a favor and transfer out if you hate it here so much. Day two and you're already bitching. People are trying to give you advice and all you can do is lob insults. At least get through your first year before trash talking 2nd and 3rd years - you are way out of your element. I've had the same exact professors as you, so don't act like you're some special snowflake who has it worse than everyone else. Welcome to graduate school - nobody is going to be holding your hand any more. Suck it up or drop out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sure, keep up the great attitude. I'm sure you'll go far in medicine. Do yourself (and everyone else) a favor and transfer out if you hate it here so much. Day two and you're already bitching. People are trying to give you advice and all you can do is lob insults. At least get through your first year before trash talking 2nd and 3rd years - you are way out of your element. I've had the same exact professors as you, so don't act like you're some special snowflake who has it worse than everyone else. Welcome to graduate school - nobody is going to be holding your hand any more. Suck it up or drop out.

If you are't aware the syllabus has been changed this year. And the anatomy professor is also new (Atleast to the course) .

Watch me score a better residency than you.
Transfer out? How about Kent sticks to the curriculum they advertise when you tour/interview.
Why are you getting so riled up? Are you an admin posting for the school under the disguise of a student ;)?

If you are't aware the syllabus has been changed this year. And the anatomy professor is also new (Atleast to the course) .

Transfer out? How about Kent sticks to the curriculum they advertise when you tour/interview.
Why are you getting so riled up? Are you an admin posting for the school under the disguise of a student ;)?
You might wanna make sure you pass your super duper hard quiz and super duper hard three core classes before talking about scoring residencies. Why aren't the other first years at Kent complaining?

Reactions: 1 users

Sure you will, kiddo. With that level of maturity, I'm sure every program will be begging for you.

I have my issues with the school, as I'm sure everyone else does, but if you're looking for a perfect school you won't find it. Hell, my cousin is an MD student and even he has issues with his school. I literally don't care even a little if you have problems with the way the school is run, but complaining on a message board and tossing insults at my classmates / friends as well people on this board does nothing more than highlight YOUR lack of maturity.

Sure you will, kiddo. With that level of maturity, I'm sure every program will be begging for you.

I have my issues with the school, as I'm sure everyone else does, but if you're looking for a perfect school you won't find it. Hell, my cousin is an MD student and even he has issues with his school. I literally don't care even a little if you have problems with the way the school is run, but complaining on a message board and tossing insults at my classmates / friends as well people on this board does nothing more than highlight YOUR lack of maturity.

My posts state the truth about the current state of Kent state university. If you have a problem with any of the facts I stated feel free to complain to the administration. Future students should have a pretty good idea of what school they chose when they apply, not some fancy painted version, and that's exactly why I am posting this in the pre-pod forum.
As a moderator said, if you are butt hurt by the school's failure to provide a decent education, and can't bear to see it, then use the ignore function.
If you are interested in personally attacking me, then feel free to post your real information on and we can continue the competition in person.

This continues to go downhill. Thread locked.

Keep things professional. Use the ignore function, do not bait other users.

Status
Not open for further replies.