Is my research experience good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Youngm2194

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry this doesn't match with the title I couldnt edit it after, but when people say years in terms of research as an undergrad how many hours would that be? I did research during summers of my undergrad 250-300 hrs each summer, is that equivalent to a year in terms of when I read other peoples posts on the forums? I figure if you do 8-10hrs a week for 16 weeks a semester x2 thats about 300hrs

Im taking two gap years and applying this cycle and am currently full time research tech/lab manager with 2000hrs already I just didn't know how the summer stuff (at medical schools not at my undergrad) compared to doing it during semesters etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did research during summers of my undergrad 250-300 hrs each summer, is that equivalent to a year in terms of when I read other peoples posts on the forums? I figure if you do 8-10hrs a week for 16 weeks a semester x2 thats about 300hrs

Im taking two gap years and applying this cycle and am currently full time research tech/lab manager with 2000hrs already.

I count meaningful full-time summers like half years. Different people do it differently.[/B]

I'm not sure if you two are talking about the same thing. @Youngm2194: are you trying to figure out how to put the summer research hours into AMCAS? Or are you asking how the research is going to get evaluated by ADCOM?

If this is for AMCAS hours, then just add the number of hours together to get your total. So if you did the 8-10 hr for 16 weeks x 2 years, then you'd enter 300 hrs in the box.

Adcom evaluations is what I think Neuronix is talking about. In this case, I think the key word is "meaningful". To me, that means you're coming up with data, analyzing it, making conclusions, contributing to paper writing, and proposing the logical next step. In some labs, the tech has his/her own project and does meaningful work. In others, the tech duties are ordering, washing dishes, making buffers. For me, these two are not equivalent. These things would go in the "descriptions" rather than the # of hours box.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if you two are talking about the same thing. @Youngm2194: are you trying to figure out how to put the summer research hours into AMCAS? Or are you asking how the research is going to get evaluated by ADCOM?

If this is for AMCAS hours, then just add the number of hours together to get your total. So if you did the 8-10 hr for 16 weeks x 2 years, then you'd enter 300 hrs in the box.

Adcom evaluations is what I think Neuronix is talking about. In this case, I think the key word is "meaningful". To me, that means you're coming up with data, analyzing it, making conclusions, contributing to paper writing, and proposing the logical next step. In some labs, the tech has his/her own project and does meaningful work. In others, the tech duties are ordering, washing dishes, making buffers. For me, these two are not equivalent. These things would go in the "descriptions" rather than the # of hours box.

Sorry for such a late reply, yes I meant how an adcom would evaluate it. I am in a unique situation in that I was the first person to be hired in a new lab and therefore work very closely with the PI. I've been the only lab member for a year and because of this I can't have my own project "yet" since then I would not have time to fulfill the PIs project if that makes sense. Essentially all the data I generate is for the lab and I will be 2nd author out of 7 on the upcoming paper in journal with IF >20, but since I am the only one so far it makes it difficult for me to have my own project at this point in time