Is it worth attending ACS Clinical Congress as an MS-2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henry101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to attend the annual ACS Clinical congress in San Diego as a second year medical student interested in general surgery? I would not be presenting a poster or doing anything special. I would just be there as a medical student, attend some panels and lectures, and network with surgeons/residents. I'm still not 100% committed to surgery and am hoping that attending might help me figure things out. The entire trip would cost me about $200 out of pocket. I've never attended one of these and don't know if it would be appropriate for a medical student to attend.

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I wouldn't.

"Networking" wise, sorry to say but no one will care about a one off interaction with an M2.

Some of the talks might be interesting but many will be above your head/beyond reasonable scope.

There is a medical student program, but it is strongly geared towards those applying in the current cycle.

IMHO I would only go at this stage in the game if presenting

Cool. I figured. I also think "networking" is an overused cliche. I just thought it would be nice to get to meet/mingle with residents and attendings but I suppose it would be wiser to wait a year or two to attend.

I dont really think networking is an overused cliche in this sense, its actually extremely huge in the surgery world, and becomes more so as you climb the ladder. Its just that you arent really going to be doing any networking as an MS2 unless you are going with a mentor who can introduce you to people etc. Even then, as Southern says, you arent gonna really be memorable, unless you are presenting something cool. But its only 200 bucks and if its easy for you it could be fun, its a huge conference and you might enjoy it. I'm a dork though

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I dont really think networking is an overused cliche in this sense, its actually extremely huge in the surgery world, and becomes more so as you climb the ladder. Its just that you arent really going to be doing any networking as an MS2 unless you are going with a mentor who can introduce you to people etc. Even then, as Southern says, you arent gonna really be memorable, unless you are presenting something cool. But its only 200 bucks and if its easy for you it could be fun, its a huge conference and you might enjoy it. I'm a dork though

Okay. Thanks for your opinion. That makes a lot of sense. I just thought it would be a nice opportunity to meet residents and get some perspectives, etc. I guess I'll just wait 1 more year.

Okay. Thanks for your opinion. That makes a lot of sense. I just thought it would be a nice opportunity to meet residents and get some perspectives, etc. I guess I'll just wait 1 more year.
Have you not had any luck talking to residents at your institution? Not while their busy obviously, but I've done some observerships/call shifts (to get a better idea what residency really is like, prior to M3) and have gotten loads of insight just by asking

Have you not had any luck talking to residents at your institution? Not while their busy obviously, but I've done some observerships/call shifts (to get a better idea what residency really is like, prior to M3) and have gotten loads of insight just by asking

You did call shifts before M3? How did that work?

I think talking to residents is generally a good idea. I got a ton of help/advice when I was applying from the residents at my med school.

I think talking to residents is generally a good idea. I got a ton of help/advice when I was applying from the residents at my med school.

I took a few weeks of night shifts on trauma service as an M4, and once or twice there'd be an interested M1 or M2 who would show up and hang around the trauma bay with us overnight (or until the residents sent him/her home). It wasn't really call since they had no responsibility, but they wanted to get a taste for the job.

I took a few weeks of night shifts on trauma service as an M4, and once or twice there'd be an interested M1 or M2 who would show up and hang around the trauma bay with us overnight (or until the residents sent him/her home). It wasn't really call since they had no responsibility, but they wanted to get a taste for the job.

Ah, I see. I don't know much it really helps, but there's no harm in getting early exposure.

I went to the clinical congress as an MS2 (but I got to go through our surgery club for free, so maybe check and see if that's an option for you). While I agree with the points listed above, it's still an enjoyable experience and I learned how to suture there. Plus you get to explore the city with all the free time. If you can work it into your schedule, I think it's still something worth considering.

Thank you for your reply and advice. It has crossed my mind but the PD at my home program is a real a**hole and I've heard he is very demanding/abusive with MS-3s so I'm hesitant to contact him directly to forward me to residents. It would be AWESOME though to do a call shift with a resident, even an intern.

I went to the clinical congress as an MS2 (but I got to go through our surgery club for free, so maybe check and see if that's an option for you). While I agree with the points listed above, it's still an enjoyable experience and I learned how to suture there. Plus you get to explore the city with all the free time. If you can work it into your schedule, I think it's still something worth considering.

Thanks dude. That helps a lot. To be honest, I've been super down at school lately and I'm thinking the trip, even though it is months away, could be an opportunity to inspire me and challenge me a little to work harder, etc. Did you network with anyone there that ended up helping you out in the long run?

Yeah that's basically what I did. My school actually encourages/helps arrange this in the post MS2 summer. Which makes a lot of sense on their part, because it honestly makes a lot of people realize that the hours in surg, etc., aren't what they want before they spend another summer doing research gunning for nsx, etc

Go to the PC, not the PD for a request like that...

Send an email that says: "I'm really interested in surgery and would like to learn more about what residency is like. Can you recommend any residents who I might be able to meet with?"

You'll get hooked up with the best residents in the program. PCs know all

Cool. I'll definitely do that then. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Thanks dude. That helps a lot. To be honest, I've been super down at school lately and I'm thinking the trip, even though it is months away, could be an opportunity to inspire me and challenge me a little to work harder, etc. Did you network with anyone there that ended up helping you out in the long run?
I was going to say something along these lines in my initial response but honestly the single biggest thing I get from going to meetings like this is exactly what you are saying here, inspiration. It motivates me to go and see how much passion and enthusiasm and knowledge people have out there, to see the cool things people are doing and learning. To be around people who are motivated and focused. I've had several lulls like you describe and going to meetings always renews my passion for academic surgery.

Reactions: 1 user
I was going to say something along these lines in my initial response but honestly the single biggest thing I get from going to meetings like this is exactly what you are saying here, inspiration. It motivates me to go and see how much passion and enthusiasm and knowledge people have out there, to see the cool things people are doing and learning. To be around people who are motivated and focused. I've had several lulls like you describe and going to meetings always renews my passion for academic surgery.

Yup. You stole the words right out of my mouth.