Is it too late to give dentistry a try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xoxox139

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think it's too late for a 33-yo guy to pursue dentistry? Will I have any chance with dental school at this age at all?

Can anyone who has successfully got into dental schools after a long period of time doing another job give me some advice on how to make my way back?
I got my BSc in Biochemistry in 2006, yes over a decade ago. Do I have to do a 4 year undergraduate again to be considered by dental school?

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys think it's too late for a 33-yo guy to pursue dentistry? Will I have any chance with dental school at this age at all?

Can anyone who has successfully got into dental schools after a long period of time doing another job give me some advice on how to make my way back?
I got my BSc in Biochemistry in 2006, yes over a decade ago. Do I have to do a 4 year undergraduate again to be considered by dental school?

Thank you very much.
I believe you just need to do the prerequisites and take your DAT. Of course shadowing as well.

Hey!

I don't think it's ever too late to attempt dentistry. I have a good friend who is now a D2 after 12 years in IT and has a few years on you. So long as you have all the pre-reqs, you should be fine to go back. It might be in your best interest to take some other classes to freshen up on science before the DAT but you definitely have an opportunity here! Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's NEVER too late to do anything! I want to congratulate you on finding something you want to pursue. Like others have said, I would take the pre-requisites and devote good amount of time on studying for the DAT. I wish you best of luck in dentistry!

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty sure I saw somewhere in the 2015 guide that the age range of a school was 20-56... meaning a 56 year old can be studying as long as you have the determination. You only 33 brah ofc it aint too late.

Reactions: 1 users
never too late!!!! I just turned 28 years old today and I'll start taking the pre reqs on spring.

I wish you the best and congrats for your decision!

30 year old applicant/career changer here. I just PM-ed you.

Bottom line: definitely not too late and dental schools admissions officers have all expressed that my previous work experience is a huge asset and strength of my application. You'll need to take the pre-reqs and DAT but it is totally doable.

Last edited:
Nope, I'm in my late 20s (not quite 30 but close), and we have a D2 who's 51 years old. It's never too late, seriously!

I worked in a completely unrelated industry for 6 years but found the time to study for the DAT after work and had enough savings to commit myself to unpaid shadowing for 6 months. I applied broadly and attended 4 interviews and got accepted to 3 of the schools. My GPA was around a 3.3 but my decent DAT score along with strong LORs and 100% commitment to dentistry helped me to differentiate myself from the young "cookie cutter" applicants with very little real-world experience.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'm about to start my D1 this week!

It's never too late. There will be people in their 40s and 50s in dental school. Obviously consider all factors in your situation.

You may already have all the prereqs with your degree. I would just double check the schools you are interested in applying to because some schools have a cut-off for when you prereqs must be done (for example, within the last 5 years). I'm also 31 yrs old and this year is my first time applying!! Good luck!!!!

Thank you very much.
It's not too late at all!

I'm turning 28 this year and I have just started taking pre-reqs this summer and will be taking more upper level classes to bring up my gpa. Essentially I won't be getting into dental school until I hit dirty thirty if everything go well!

Congrats to you on your decision and I'm sure you will do well as long as you work hard for it!