Is it too late to get aways in derm now if Im just starting to apply ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowys435

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, for various reasons I was late to the game and made a last minute decision to apply. I'm kind of panicking now looking at the aways because it seems like a lot of schools have already started reviewing apps. Is it too late to get aways for derm now? I basically want to be un and down the north east area. What are your suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, for various reasons I was late to the game and made a last minute decision to apply. I'm kind of panicking now looking at the aways because it seems like a lot of schools have already started reviewing apps. Is it too late to get aways for derm now? I basically want to be un and down the north east area. What are your suggestions?

There should still be some slots as students often times will cancel or drop away rotations for various reasons. If you are looking for an away rotation this summer or fall though, I would start applying ASAP.

There should still be some slots as students often times will cancel or drop away rotations for various reasons. If you are looking for an away rotation this summer or fall though, I would start applying ASAP.

I am looking for august/sept/oct/ I am in the mist of submitting apps now. All this nosensical paperwork bs is holding me up, like getting copies of step score, backgorund check, random things. Feel like by the time i get it all sorted out ill be screwed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking for august/sept/oct/ I am in the mist of submitting apps now. All this nosensical paperwork bs is holding me up, like getting copies of step score, backgorund check, random things. Feel like by the time i get it all sorted out ill be screwed.

Things are better now with VSAS but yes, it's a lot of headaches to get through the whole application process (including following through to make sure no mistakes are made during the whole process)

You'll find ERAS applications can be similar.

You'll find applying for a medical license once you are done with training will be similar.

Just have to persevere and focus on the end goal.

yup im working on it. any suggestions for how i can ensure I secure a few aways given im so late in the game? Hoping to do 3 total from aug-oct. Should i call the schools ? can you call the schools that say not to call them....

yup im working on it. any suggestions for how i can ensure I secure a few aways given im so late in the game? Hoping to do 3 total from aug-oct. Should i call the schools ? can you call the schools that say not to call them....

I would not do that. I would go through the appropriate channels. FWIW, I also decided late in the game and managed to snag an away rotation. Sometimes it means rotating in a location outside of your comfort zone.

I would not do that. I would go through the appropriate channels. FWIW, I also decided late in the game and managed to snag an away rotation. Sometimes it means rotating in a location outside of your comfort zone.

Did you only want to do one? Or did you actually try to do 3 and were only able to get one? Im pretty nervous about being able to do as many as i can given that i keep being told its essential to getting interviews.

Did you only want to do one? Or did you actually try to do 3 and were only able to get one? Im pretty nervous about being able to do as many as i can given that i keep being told its essential to getting interviews.

I only wanted to do one. If you want to do more, you need to apply more broadly and be willing to venture to programs you might not have originally considered. As a point of reference, I applied late. Got shafted when Program A ended up taking too many visitors and I just happened to be the odd person out. I was notified 2 weeks prior to the away rotation starting and was fortunate to be able to scramble into another away rotation at Program B. I ended up having a great time at Program B, getting an interview, and ranking them very highly. Program B was in a less desirable location however. (all this predates VSAS so hopefully with that program in place, these kinds of problems are less common)

If you think it would be too anxiety provoking to try this on such a short time table, you can always take a year off for research and try again the following year (and hopefully apply earlier to get your desired choices)