IS it possible to raise your GPA from a 3.0 to 3.4-3.5 in a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyes124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ive heard a lot of people saying that you can raise your GPA by like 8 points in 2 years. Im not sure if this is true but is it possible to go from a 3.0-3.4+ in a year. I take 19 hours a semester.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, try out the math yourself! If you have two years of 3.0 and two years of 3.8, you'll have an overall GPA of 3.4.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends how many credit hours you've taken to achieve that 3.0. If you're still early in undergrad, a 0.4+ increase over one semester is pretty easy (especially with 19 credit hour semesters) because your new classes represent a larger % of the sample size. If your 3.0 is representative of your freshman-junior year classes, a 0.4+ GPA increase will be more difficult.

It depends how many credit hours you've taken to achieve that 3.0. If you're still early in undergrad, a 0.4+ increase over one semester is pretty easy (especially with 19 credit hour semesters) because your new classes represent a larger % of the sample size. If your 3.0 is representative of your freshman-junior year classes, a 0.4+ GPA increase will be more difficult.
What if you retake some classes you got Cs in also well as adding around 38 credit hours in a year?

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you retake some classes you got Cs in also well as adding around 38 credit hours in a year?
With the abolition of grade replacement, assuming you retook these classes and received A's, your GPA would average to about 3.5 for those original+retake classes. Again, depends how many you're retaking.

Reactions: 1 user
With the abolition of grade replacement, assuming you retook these classes and received A's, your GPA would average to about 3.5 for those original+retake classes. Again, depends how many you're retaking.
Ok thanks. Not to many, just 3 maybe 4

((# Credits taken)(Current GPA) + (# Credits in time frame)(Anticipated GPA for those credits)) / (Total # Credits)) = Final GPA

((# Credits taken)(Current GPA) + (# Credits in time frame)(Anticipated GPA for those credits)) / (Total # Credits)) = Final GPA
I think I did it wrong because the final came out lower than my current GPA. (83 credits taken)(2.937 GPA)+ (58credits)(3.5GPA)/ 176 credits= 2.5
But I dont think that is right. Did I do something wrong?

I think I did it wrong because the final came out lower than my current GPA. (83 credits taken)(2.937 GPA)+ (58credits)(3.5GPA)/ 176 credits= 2.5
But I dont think that is right. Did I do something wrong?
I got 3.1

Edit: Unless you're planning on acing every class, it will be near impossible to raise your grades to a 3.4-3.5 at all, let alone in a year. You're multiplying your second group by 3.5 so there is literally no way you will achieve a 3.5 given that ceiling. If you received a 4.0 in 83 credits, your GPA would be just under 3.5.

Last edited:
I got 3.1

Edit: Unless you're planning on acing every class, it will be near impossible to raise your grades to a 3.4-3.5 at all, let alone in a year. You're multiplying your second group by 3.5 so there is literally no way you will achieve a 3.5 given that ceiling. If you received a 4.0 in 83 credits, your GPA would be just under 3.5.
Well I dont think that is true because I went from a 2.7 to a 3.1 in 1 semester

Well I dont think that is true because I went from a 2.7 to a 3.1 in 1 semester
No it's definitely true. You were able to do that because you had less credit hours at that point, so subsequent classes at that point in time would affect your GPA more. The beautiful thing about math is it's not subjective lol. I wish what I said wasn't true, but I can't change the rules of algebra.

I'm not saying abandon your dream of medical school. Just addressing the question of the thread. It's impossible for you to raise your GPA to a 3.4 or 3.5 in a year given your current credit hour total.

Last edited:
I would recommend taking some college algebra and/or trigonometry courses before you do. An inability to perform these will hinder you on the physics portion or any portion involving stoicheometry.
Would you recommend taking them even if your about to have physics this semester? I'm taking physics and organic this fall. Did you take the MCAT recently?

Would you recommend taking them even if your about to have physics this semester? I'm taking physics and organic this fall. Did you take the MCAT recently?
Actually if you can perform well in physics, you can perform well on the new MCAT math. Yes, I took on 6/30. Most math was pretty easy.

Actually if you can perform well in physics, you can perform well on the new MCAT math. Yes, I took on 6/30. Most math was pretty easy.
Well maybe you can answer another question I posted then. I was orginially going to take the MCAT in May of next year but people told me I should do it in March so that way if I have to then I can retake it in May but in order to do this I will have to start studying in like November. Im taking organic 1 and physics 1 this semester but will not have organic 2 and physics 2 till spring. I have the Kaplan 7 course study books and I took a college level physics class in high school and did very well (im good at math and memorization) Do you think it would be a bad idea to start studying for the MCAT before organic 2 and physics 2? I heard they werent on the new on that much and if anything it was more organic and physics 1

In my experience, Physics 2 far outweighed physics 1 on the new MCAT. But there's been less consensus of "high yield" during the past several months for the mcat. You could get by without orgo. My MCAT had one strictly Orgo question; otherwise, knowing SN1, SN2, what prompts movement of electrons would be sufficient I think.

I should mention however that Chem/Phys is my worst section.

It definitely depends on how many hours you have.

For reference, I raised my GPA from a 3.5 to a 3.85 in two years.

Ive made straight As since then (71 hours).

I think it's certainly doable if you're a rising sophomore.