Is it possible to COMLEX Level 3 before graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12glaucoma34

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to get this exam over and I know I can pass it before residency starts. Anyone know if this is possible? Also, normally they have dates available in June before residency starts, but they don't this year since they are making the test a two day examination. You know, making an exam that nobody cares about innovative and better. How would we ever survive without the NBOME? Bottom line, I would like to get this test out of the way before residency and avoid the two day version if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

You can't sign up for it until your school notifies them that you graduated.

Members don't see this ad :)
The beauty of taking comlex 3 in residency is that you have already matched and couldn't care less about your score as long as you pass.

Reactions: 1 users
One of the new interns in my program said that they made the rule that it won't change until September, but after April or so of next year, they are blocking out the dates until the new test, so you may be SOL. But you can take the level 3 between actual graduation and residency start, but I am really glad I didn't rush it that much.

1) Yes you can, and you surprising will have the knowledge base to pass it as a 4th year.
2) Why would you do that when your residency will pay some of the costs of taking it?

Reactions: 1 user
Agree that your residency may pay for the whole thing- mine does.

Also, check out your state licensing laws. For mine, you aren't eligible to take Step1/Level1 until you're within 6 months of completing PGY1--- so 6 months into PGY1. Granted, NBOME does not monitor this and will let you sign up once your school notifies them of your graduation status.. so I'm not sure if they would find this out or not and you could probably get away with it. Also, our school wouldn't give NBOME our clearance to take it until after graduation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

1) Yes you can, and you surprising will have the knowledge base to pass it as a 4th year.
2) Why would you do that when your residency will pay some of the costs of taking it?

To me, it would be totally worth paying for my own Level 3 if it meant I could study a few weeks during my easy rotations and get this ignorant test completed.

Do most/all programs pay for the test or just some?

To me, it would be totally worth paying for my own Level 3 if it meant I could study a few weeks during my easy rotations and get this ignorant test completed.

A lot of what I know is from knowledge from my friends. Some had all of it paid and others most of it (not sure of the exceptions). I mean think of it this way. After all the loan money you have burned through to get to where you are, why would you take out more loan money and put yourself further in debt (combined with interest) when someone is willing to pay for your exam? This is the time to suck the system dry (not just talking about step/level III), because once you graduate you won't have these same privileges anymore.

Paying nearly $900 dollars is a steep amount to pay for an exam...

Every program that I know of pays for the exam. I'm sure there are some that don't and maybe it varies by specialty. But all the residents I know in other programs had their program pay for theirs. I guess look up the programs you're interested in to see if they pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users