USMLE Is it possible to challenge a question on Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inshorefish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took Step 1 today. I guess I'm sworn to secrecy about the questions, so I can't elaborate, but there was a question about a topic in human genetics that I am very well informed about. The question hinged on why a certain phenomenon occurs. There is a conventional explanation for this, which is what I chose, but there have also been several interesting and controversial challenges to this hypothesis over the last decade. One of the most persuasive alternative explanations was available as an answer choice. I chose the conventional explanation because I'm confident that the typical medical student is not expected to be aware of these controversies. I'm not concerned about getting marked wrong on this one question so much as determining if there is a way to register my concern with the USMLE people that this question may actually be much more controversial than the question writer realized. Does anyone know how I can contact someone who may be able to reevaluate whether this question should be reworded or potentially withdrawn to take into consideration more recent research/theory on the subject that the question writer may not have been aware of?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend contacting them directly. Even if you call the general number on the website and ask who you contact or speak to about something like that. Good luck!

Just took Step 1 today. I guess I'm sworn to secrecy about the questions, so I can't elaborate, but there was a question about a topic in human genetics that I am very well informed about. The question hinged on why a certain phenomenon occurs. There is a conventional explanation for this, which is what I chose, but there have also been several interesting and controversial challenges to this hypothesis over the last decade. One of the most persuasive alternative explanations was available as an answer choice. I chose the conventional explanation because I'm confident that the typical medical student is not expected to be aware of these controversies. I'm not concerned about getting marked wrong on this one question so much as determining if there is a way to register my concern with the USMLE people that this question may actually be much more controversial than the question writer realized. Does anyone know how I can contact someone who may be able to reevaluate whether this question should be reworded or potentially withdrawn to take into consideration more recent research/theory on the subject that the question writer may not have been aware of?

You've gotta just deal with the USMLE answer. The NBME exams are like this too. In the past people have occasionally been menaced by questions that 'don't have an answer.'

Maybe if you write them directly, your inquiry will get sent to a panel. But yeah, I'd just swallow it.