Is it OK to "re-use" my LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exacto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't take any classes and only been volunteering, working and retook my MCAT, so I don't have anyone to write me a new letter... Will it be fine if I just "re-use" my LOR from the last cycle? They were all very good as schools have told me.

Any issues?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you contact the letter writers and ask to have them update with what you have been doing this past year, and update the dates? I think that re-use is ok but it would be helpful for them to be updated.

Agreed- even if they have nothing to add or change, they're vouching for your character after knowing you for 4 years instead of 3 whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools require your LORs to be dated. If they aren't from the current year some will just throw them out. And for the schools you're re-applying to, if they are the verbatim letter from last year, what sort of message does that present?

what sort of message does that present?

I don't know, what does it say about me....lol? I don't think it's a bad thing, it's not like their view of me has changed in one year. And considering that I am not spending the same amount of time with them as before ( graduated), then it would actually be detrimental for me to get another letter after they forgot a lot about me as a person, wouldn't it?

Also, for those with the same question as me. I called many schools (only D.O.'s) and asked admissions if re-using LOR's from one year previous cycle was detrimental or looked down upon, and every single one said NO. They said it will be fine, and there is no need to update, but anything more than one year is looked down upon.

And considering that I am not spending the same amount of time with them as before ( graduated), then it would actually be detrimental for me to get another letter after they forgot a lot about me as a person, wouldn't it?
If you reflected on why you didn't get in and volunteer work and higher MCAT were the limiting factors, then re-use your letters.

And FWIW, each of my letter writers were happy to re-write. Some did minor edits, others, like my PI, did larger edits to reflect updates from the year. Are your bosses, either where you volunteer or work not willing to write one for you?

If you reflected on why you didn't get in and volunteer work and higher MCAT were the limiting factors, then re-use your letters.

And FWIW, each of my letter writers were happy to re-write. Some did minor edits, others, like my PI, did larger edits to reflect updates from the year. Are your bosses, either where you volunteer or work not willing to write one for you?

I thought about having my volunteering boss write a letter, but it would take 2 weeks to write and then longer to send it, and it would delay my app. As for my job, i just started a new job a week ago so thats a no fly.

I thought about having my volunteering boss write a letter, but it would take 2 weeks to write and then longer to send it, and it would delay my app. As for my job, i just started a new job a week ago so thats a no fly.
Did you get any interviews last year?

Did you get any interviews last year?

Yes, 3. Do you think I can call them up and ask what i should improve or do better? I applied later in the cycle last time so i feel like that hurt me most.

I applied super late my first time around and had to reapply this last cycle after not getting off a wait list. I reused all my letters--no new ones, no edits. I submitted early this past summer, received six II, and will be attending medical school in the fall! I applied to some different schools this time around who had not seen my previous application, but several schools were the same (and had given me II during my first cycle.) It can be done, but I think I would recommend adding a letter from whatever you did in the year in between (volunteering, school, masters, etc.) I just didn't have much time in between applications so I didn't feel like I needed to get an updated letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, 3. Do you think I can call them up and ask what i should improve or do better? I applied later in the cycle last time so i feel like that hurt me most.

If you made it to interviews but didn't end up with an acceptance I would suggest talking to at least one Dean of Admissions to get feedback on your application. At the very least they'll be able to tell you what dissuaded them from accepting you and while that can be tough on the ego it'll be very helpful when you're re-applying.

Did you ever get feedback from school you were interviewed? I wonder if school provide reason like LOR or stat or EC?

Did you ever get feedback from school you were interviewed? I wonder if school provide reason like LOR or stat or EC?

Sorry for late reply, but no I didn't get any feedback. In fact I didn't even hear from 1 school whether or not I got off the waitlist. Luckily i got accepted to another school and am already 1 month in.

From what SDNers said here, schools are looking for updated LORs in re-app, even for old LOR writers.

Some schools have access to your old LORs. Imagine what they would think if your LOR writer submitted the exact same letter for both cycles. It implies that nothing changed in you.

FWIW, I applied 3 times with 3 of the same letters and added an additional one for the third round. Got into 3 schools. Old ones are fine, maybe ask for an update and if they can great, if not don't sweat it. But definitely have at least one new one to show what you've been doing since the first cycle.