Is it OK to email/contact Fellowship directors to get your application noticed? @gutonc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gastromeister

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's not a violation of the Match rules. But it's a good way to get your application "noticed" in a very negative way.

Chill the F out. Apps have been live for 3 business days. My program got 150 apps on Wednesday for 3 spots. No idea where they are now but I'm going to guess double that based on prior years. Half of those will get nuked for easy screening purposes, but that's still 5+ apps to review for each interview offer, and 50+ for each spot. Try to have a little patience. If you'd already heard it would either be because you were a homer, or because you'd been rejected.

Reactions: 1 user
Send flowers with giant Mylar balloons. That loon was my all time fav. (And I'm not at a fellowship anymore so pleeeeaase don't PM me gang, I know nothing).

Members don't see this ad :)
giphy.gif

**backs away slowly**

Haha. Nothing new to add, everything was stated above.

Later in the season (I mean, much later) if you didn't get an invite or a rejection from a program, you can always write to the program and say that you hoped to interview there and see what happens. Annoying the PC though (that's not a typo) is a quick way to get your app trashed.

What are thoughts on emailing programs regarding new abstracts or publications since submission? Worth it or annoying?

What are thoughts on emailing programs regarding new abstracts or publications since submission? Worth it or annoying?

Unless it's a high impact journal, I wouldn't bother. You can mention it on interviews though.

@Gastrapathy @nycscope
what about contacting a PC/PD about a recent ACG award? I'm on the fence about it. what do you think?
Define the award. Is it enough to cover your salary next year? Or just enough to cover your registration for DDW 2016?

If the former, then yes. If the latter....

It's not a violation of the Match rules. But it's a good way to get your application "noticed" in a very negative way.

Chill the F out. Apps have been live for 3 business days. My program got 150 apps on Wednesday for 3 spots. No idea where they are now but I'm going to guess double that based on prior years. Half of those will get nuked for easy screening purposes, but that's still 5+ apps to review for each interview offer, and 50+ for each spot. Try to have a little patience. If you'd already heard it would either be because you were a homer, or because you'd been rejected.

After looking through a few, I think this is probably the most appropriate forum to post this question.
@gutonc, I completely understand what you mean. I'm always afraid of "bugging" the coordinators or directors as I cant imagine how incredibly busy this time of the year is for them.
However, I've been told by people in the past that my mistake is that i'm to passive and should email/call/etc much earlier...
This year I sent my application in on the 15th (day apps opened to programs) and was still missing 2 letters which were uploaded by not released by EFDO. My letters were released on the 19th and I submitted the rest that day.

My question is, would it be appropriate to email the program at this time to notify them that I have uploaded the rest of my LORs?

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
After looking through a few, I think this is probably the most appropriate forum to post this question.
@gutonc, I completely understand what you mean. I'm always afraid of "bugging" the coordinators or directors as I cant imagine how incredibly busy this time of the year is for them.
However, I've been told by people in the past that my mistake is that i'm to passive and should email/call/etc much earlier...
This year I sent my application in on the 15th (day apps opened to programs) and was still missing 2 letters which were uploaded by not released by EFDO. My letters were released on the 19th and I submitted the rest that day.

My question is, would it be appropriate to email the program at this time to notify them that I have uploaded the rest of my LORs?

Thanks for the advice!
NO. How many times do I have to say it. They know. Leave them alone, they're busy.

Hey, I completely understand the above about chilling the F out and not bothering these ppl. Unfortunately, my 4th letter writer had a lot of difficulty uploading his LOR and I was too passive to get on his ass to do it. It was finally uploaded and submitted to programs today. As this is now over a month after the applications were downloaded by programs would it be ok to send an email at this point or would it still just be me being a pain in the ass

So what's the consensus? Any time frame when it's not obnoxious to email a program coordinator?

So what's the consensus? Any time frame when it's not obnoxious to email a program coordinator?
I think the above posters are wrong when saying it's very negative to email programs. A simple, concise 3-4 sentence e-mail (just one the whole season to that particular program) expressing interest will likely not change anything, but there is a small chance it may have a positive impact. Do not send updates about your application however. What is unlikely to happen is the PD looks at the e-mail and thinks "how dare this applicant send me an e-mail, I am so annoyed, what is his/her AAMC ID, I'm going to take time out of my day to find that app and trash it" as the above respondents make it seem. The more likely scenario is "oh you're interested, good for you" and they move on with their day.

The time frame is when you see others on here getting IVs that you are not. That is the utility of the interview thread. You dont know if you are on the back up/cancellation list or not on on their radar at all, but you do know, you were not first crop for said program. In which case why *not* reach out?

Is it obnoxious to email the program director directly? Or should it always go through the PC? One program I am interested in only lists the PD email and no PC email.

When do you applicants start having letter writers call on their behalf? Should I reach out around now also?

Sorry I know these types posts can get obnoxious a lot of times. These are anxious times for a lot of us.

Is it obnoxious to email the program director directly? Or should it always go through the PC? One program I am interested in only lists the PD email and no PC email.

When do you applicants start having letter writers call on their behalf? Should I reach out around now also?

Sorry I know these types posts can get obnoxious a lot of times. These are anxious times for a lot of us.

I say email them

I emailed when I interviewed and I actually got 2 IV from emailing.

After the interview. I thanked them and told them I hope to see them soon.

I did not though send I will rank you high or number one. Since in my world is kind of a violation. Some might disagree.

one Other thing everyone should be one a look out is burning bridges. GI is a small world you never know if you end up applying for advance or even a job at that institution. So be careful.

I emailed when I interviewed and I actually got 2 IV from emailing.

After the interview. I thanked them and told them I hope to see them soon.

I did not though send I will rank you high or number one. Since in my world is kind of a violation. Some might disagree.
So far I only have my chair of medicine, PD and some attendings contacting programs for me. Did you just email the PD and said you are very interested and would like a chance to be interviewed by the program? I have two programs that I am waiting on but seem like they have not sent out invites based on the interview thread. Should I email them now or wait until after their first wave? Thank you.

So far I only have my chair of medicine, PD and some attendings contacting programs for me. Did you just email the PD and said you are very interested and would like a chance to be interviewed by the program? I have two programs that I am waiting on but seem like they have not sent out invites based on the interview thread. Should I email them now or wait until after their first wave? Thank you.

Email them now.