Is it likely for me to find a Research Fellowship at this point in the year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCorp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been browsing OrthoGate everyday and have been calling up programs to see if they have any vacancies, and it appears that everything is filled for the academic calendar, considering it starts on July 1st. I was wondering what else I could do to try to find a year long research position.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming all the funded positions are filled at this point, but if you can make it through the year without funding you could send them your CV, USMLE report, and a cover letter to express your interest in research/ortho and willingness to do it as a volunteer. I would follow it up with a phone call if you don't hear back within a couple days. Keep in mind that some of the current research fellows may be leaving soon so the email provided might not work anymore.

I'm assuming all the funded positions are filled at this point, but if you can make it through the year without funding you could send them your CV, USMLE report, and a cover letter to express your interest in research/ortho and willingness to do it as a volunteer. I would follow it up with a phone call if you don't hear back within a couple days. Keep in mind that some of the current research fellows may be leaving soon so the email provided might not work anymore.

Will I still get the same level of experience as a funded individual doing research? I'm hoping to use this as a crutch to help me get into another research fellowship position which has a tendency of accepting it's applicants into their residency program.

Will I still get the same level of experience as a funded individual doing research? I'm hoping to use this as a crutch to help me get into another research fellowship position which has a tendency of accepting it's applicants into their residency program.

I think the experience depends most on your drive and ability to get things done. The more available you make yourself and the harder you work, the better the experience will be. No one's going to take the reins from you and say you're producing too many papers haha. Also being normal, cool, easy to work with and all the other things people list for good away rotation qualities would still apply. I would ask the program if prior research fellows have matched. Ask your role and responsibilities when you speak to the person interviewing you - is it all chart reviewing and writing papers or are you also responsible for writing grants, running clinical trials, etc.