Is it bad to show up unannounced at your professor's office?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the rules of etiquette are about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless the professor said he/she has office hours at the time you show up. If they dont, you should probably email first.

Reactions: 2 users
not if you cartwheel in with a double twist and land it

but if you can't, general rule of thumb is that you always email first

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're most likely not going to be able to catch the professor at a good time. Professors spend their days in various meetings with other faculty members or collaborators from industry, writing/reviewing papers and grants, etc. If you just barge in, chances are they'll politely tell you that they're currently busy and to schedule an appointment with their assistant.

Reactions: 1 user
If it is during office hours then yes, you can just show up (they may not always be there though).

You can always email them for other times if you need to meet and can't make it during those hours. It is strange to me for someone to email about coming to office hours. That is like calling the store during their open hours to let them know you are planning to go in.

EDIT: I have emailed a professor in the past who was never showing up to their own office hours. In these scenarios, it makes sense to email ahead of time to ask if they are going to be around.

Depends on the professor. I'd say to follow the poster above me's advice for someone you don't know. If you feel comfortable with the prof, it might not be a problem, and the worst that happens is you're told to go away and come back during office hours.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I hope that's the case. I was wondering if showing up unannounced could result in a note in your file about professionalism or boundaries and tarnish an otherwise good LoR. I guess most professors probably wouldn't be that extreme, especially if a student just stopped by to drop off a card.

Unless the professor said he/she has office hours at the time you show up. If they dont, you should probably email first.

I thought about that, but then what if I go and they're not there, door locked and closed and have to make more than one trip. Maybe one email once would cover it even if it's from Monday saying I'm coming over, then I come over on Thursday, and say oh yeah, I emailed you on Monday and thought I'd try again. I dunno, don't want to violate boundaries or send too many emails.

Respect is important, but to me, this is tricky.

Show up during office hours (should be on the syllabus) or make an appointment through email.

What if I just want to drop off a card and small token of thanks? But on the other hand, their office is off campus a ways, so it might be kind of weird if I just showed up. And no more office hours since semester just ended.

The U.S. Postal Service is a perfectly functional (if poor business model) system.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Not sure what the rules of etiquette are about this.

Ideally office hours are ideal. If not making an appointment is also fine. But sometimes, neither of these are possible. In this case, I would respectfully walk into their office and ask if they have time to make an appointment for you to meet with them to discuss ________. If they are free, they may just ask you to stay and talk.

Bring booze, they'll take you at anytime. Yes I speak from experience