Is CS necessary on top of PE for ACGME fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdk322

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a 4th year DO student going for ACGME residency programs likely psych or IM. I am not 100% sure if I'd pursue fellowships afterwards but it was my understanding that as DOs you do not need to take CS on top of PE to match for residency. I met a student when I was taking my PE who told me that he's taking both because some ACGME fellowship programs would like to see CS. Is this true? If so how true is it for psych and IM?? (I guess I can post on specialty specific threads if nobody really knows...) Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

No.

The "practical" half of step 2 and step 3 only need to be done down one path or the other to get a license. Fellowships couldn't give two thoughts about either as long as you've passed them.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I'm a 4th year DO student going for ACGME residency programs likely psych or IM. I am not 100% sure if I'd pursue fellowships afterwards but it was my understanding that as DOs you do not need to take CS on top of PE to match for residency. I met a student when I was taking my PE who told me that he's taking both because some ACGME fellowship programs would like to see CS. Is this true? If so how true is it for psych and IM?? (I guess I can post on specialty specific threads if nobody really knows...) Thanks in advance :)
I'm not going to count them, but there are probably several hundred (a thousand or more?) fellowship programs available to IM and Psych residents.

So the most precise answer to your question is, without a doubt, "yes". There is probably at least one fellowship (*cough* DUKE cardiology *cough*) that will require a DO to have all 4 USMLE exams completed before they reject you immediately because, well, you're still a DO, (and they're f***ing DUKE!!!) no matter how well you scored on USMLE.

But practically speaking? No. Take one.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not going to count them, but there are probably several hundred (a thousand or more?) fellowship programs available to IM and Psych residents.

So the most precise answer to your question is, without a doubt, "yes". There is probably at least one fellowship (*cough* DUKE cardiology *cough*) that will require a DO to have all 4 USMLE exams completed before they reject you immediately because, well, you're still a DO, (and they're f***ing DUKE!!!) no matter how well you scored on USMLE.

But practically speaking? No. Take one.
Someone else posted that Duke Psych required it, too. @madjack, maybe?

And, as I've said before, as an FMG that graduated from Duke, that DOs and FMGs are NOT welcome at Duke. Full stop.