Is Cancer More Common Now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustLookingforAnswers

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just heard of a report on the news that 1 in 2 people in Canada will get cancer, and 1 in 4 will die from it. WTF? Why is it so dang common? Is it because more people nowadays smoke, eat unhealthy, as well as substance abuse? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Just heard of a report on the news that 1 in 2 people in Canada will get cancer, and 1 in 4 will die from it. WTF? Why is it so dang common? Is it because more people nowadays smoke, eat unhealthy, as well as substance abuse? Any thoughts will be appreciated.
A few things come to mind. First, more people are living in cities, so exposure to carcinogens is likely increasing. Second, people are more sedentary these days and more antibiotic prone, which can damage the microbiota. Microbiota changes like these promote tumorigenesis. Third, it's possible (though unlikely) that this is the product of better cancer diagnosis or poor data from the past. The rate increase may just be Type I error.

Members don't see this ad :)
Technology allows us to go looking easier and find smaller cancers.

Reactions: 10 users
In addition to what the other commenters have said, we also live a lot longer than we used to which makes it more likely that we will get cancer.

Reactions: 21 users
Everyone dies from something, and other causes of death are on the decline.

Reactions: 3 users
A couple of things:

One of the posters is correct that our collective lifespan has increased over the last few decades. Older people are more likely to get cancer. We have also become very good at treating/preventing other causes of premature death, like cardiovascular disease, accidents, and so on. Not dying of other stuff...more cancer.

The second factor is possibly temporary in Canada. In the early 90s, the governments radically dropped the taxes on cigarettes in an effort to curb contraband smuggling. The result was an explosion in youth smoking rates, particularly young women. Taxes were ultimately increased again, but not before an entire cohort of people became smokers. It's been roughly 20-25 years, about the right time lag for smoking to cause the cancers it does.

The other increases in cancer are potentially artifact because of major increases in screening. Screening invariably increases the incidence rates, because it introduces length bias and overdiagnosis bias. Those of you fancying yourself as pre-meds should learn all these terms, but suffice it to say that screening will detect cancers that: 1) are slower-growing and less aggressive, or 2) would have never become a life-threatening problem...the patient would have died with the cancer, not from the cancer.

The textbook example of this is prostate cancer detection with the PSA test. This single blood test has led to an explosion in the incidence of prostate cancer, but death rates in screened prostate cancer patients haven't changed all that much. It means we are detecting and treating a whole lot of cancer we might not have needed to bother with. There is a similar controversy around the usefulness of screening mammography, but it's nothing as compared with the infighting over PSA.

Reactions: 1 users
IMG_1984.JPG
IMG_1985.JPG

Adding in to what other posters have said, cancer diagnoses have definitely not increased as a result of increased tobacco use because fewer people are smoking today. The graphs show this for both the US and Canada.

Last edited:
If that includes skin cancer, then like 20% of all white people get cancer just from that.

Reactions: 1 user
If that includes skin cancer, then like 20% of all white people get cancer just from that.
Of course the dermatology hopeful (I think? You're mostly in allo and I just wander in accidentally and then feel bad when I forget where I am and post a reply) brings this up.

Of course the dermatology hopeful (I think? You're mostly in allo and I just wander in accidentally and then feel bad when I forget where I am and post a reply) brings this up.

Lol, that's exactly what I just did. I thought I was in allo! And yes, Derm Gunner here :D

Members don't see this ad :)
1) People live longer and because cancer is an age-related disease, the higher average age unveils the disease.

2) We're also getting a lot better at cancer detection so that we can detect cases where in the past we couldn't. This is a good thing though, because with early detection comes a better chance of survival. So you have to look at both cancer incidence and survival. If cancer incidence goes up but survival also goes up, then that's consistent with better detection methods = earlier treatment so that you get the cancer before it becomes really bad. You wouldn't expect survival to randomly go up if people are really just getting cancer at higher rates than in the past - at least not above the baseline effect of advancing treatment technology.

Non-melanoma skin cancer (basal cell and squamous cell) is not tracked in cancer statistics.

what about age? more people are living longer than ever. guess what comes with age - disease

In addition to what the other commenters have said, we also live a lot longer than we used to which makes it more likely that we will get cancer.
This x 1,000
Are people are not dying of other things and thus living longer increasing the chances of cancer developing?
A couple of things:
One of the posters is correct that our collective lifespan has increased over the last few decades. Older people are more likely to get cancer. We have also become very good at treating/preventing other causes of premature death, like cardiovascular disease, accidents, and so on. Not dying of other stuff...more cancer.
what about age? more people are living longer than ever. guess what comes with age - disease
We're 9,995 away from x1,000, so allow me to add:
DOES AGE AFFECT IT???

Reactions: 2 users
I think of the millennials who have pretty outstanding rates of colon cancer.

People eat like **** nowadays and are more sedentary than ever.
I just read the NPR piece. I'm not convinced. There are maybe 5,000 more people under age 50 in the whole US per year diagnosed with colon cancer than there were in the past? The rate per 100,000 for people under 30 has gone from about 1 to about 2 in the last 30 years? It sounds like this is more a result of screening and other factors than any new pathology.

Furthermore, this trend was noticed starting over a decade ago—when the oldest millennials were around 20 and the youngest were still eating Gerber's. Only the oldest are now in the 30-39 age group. You brought up an interesting point. But I don't think the millennials can be blamed for everything the way they often are (largely by millennials who disavow their own generation).

More people dying from cancer instead of infectious diseases actually represent economic and social stability because that means people are in general living longer than before.
DOES AGE AFFECT IT???
Absolutely. Put in simple terms, the more times your cells divide, the more likely it is for you to get cancer.

Evolution is not technically the survival of the fittest, but the survival of those who can procreate successfully. Infant and pediatric cancers used to carry a much higher mortality rate than they once did. Many also carry stronger heritability. Over the last 50 years we are seeing an increase in the number of young cancer survivors who are having families of their own.

So while it's true like everyone's commented that living longer increases your chance of developing cancer, we are also continuing genetic lines that would have suffered their own consequences and potentially died off before they could procreate.

Evolution is not technically the survival of the fittest, but the survival of those who can procreate successfully.
That's the biological definition of fitness...

Reactions: 2 users
Adding in to what other posters have said, cancer diagnoses have definitely not increased as a result of increased tobacco use because fewer people are smoking today. The graphs show this for both the US and Canada.

Of interest is that the popularity/prevalence of smoking in women didn't begin decreasing significantly until almost a decade after it did in men. I remember reading that women were still approaching or had just surpassed their peak lung cancer projections due to this delay. This could account for some of the current high statistics in cancer rates cited, although one would expect the lung cancer cases in females to decrease in coming years due to the decline in smoking prevalence in females from the mid-70's onwards.