Is audiology a good career for a mom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

due.diligence

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm wondering how feasible it is to go through the AudD program with a baby. Any of you done it? Did you feel like you were totally missing out on your kid's childhood? Side note: I do have a nearby dad who loves to babysit and a nurse partner who works 3 days a week.

I'm also wondering what work/life balance is like for those who are finished with the program and have kids. Are there part-time jobs out there? Do you feel like a bad parent and/or a bad audiologist for trying to do both?

I have read the cautionary tales on this forum written by people who warn against audiology as a career for other reasons, so this thread is specifically about work/life balance when there are kids in the equation. (I plan to have another one if possible.) I would love to hear about your experiences. Alternatively, if someone wants to tell me about their different healthcare career which fits in well with their life as a parent, I'd like to hear about that too! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think in terms of the rehab fields, audiology is very congruent with being a parent of small children. I did not find audiology graduate school that demanding. Time intensive at times with clinicals, classes, and student teaching/work study assignments, but I had classmates who became pregnant and had children during the program and seemed to do fine with a small support network.

Depending on your work setting your work/life balance will be different. I've worked in ENT offices where I was treated like a tech with no worries about my home life outside of work, and then I've worked in clinics where they were all about my home life being balanced with work.

I will say the VA has been great about work/life balance at a couple I've worked at (not so much at one) and although they spout work/life balance it really depends on your department head's take on the work/life balance idea. Some are wonderful and offer flexible work schedules (start at 7 get off at 3:30 for kids, etc.) and others don';t.

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering how feasible it is to go through the AudD program with a baby. Any of you done it? Did you feel like you were totally missing out on your kid's childhood? Side note: I do have a nearby dad who loves to babysit and a nurse partner who works 3 days a week.

I'm also wondering what work/life balance is like for those who are finished with the program and have kids. Are there part-time jobs out there? Do you feel like a bad parent and/or a bad audiologist for trying to do both?

I have read the cautionary tales on this forum written by people who warn against audiology as a career for other reasons, so this thread is specifically about work/life balance when there are kids in the equation. (I plan to have another one if possible.) I would love to hear about your experiences. Alternatively, if someone wants to tell me about their different healthcare career which fits in well with their life as a parent, I'd like to hear about that too! Thanks.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I've been a preceptor to an Au.D. student, and she went through the program just fine with a young child.

I've been an audiologist for 14 years and have a 5.5 year old and 3.5 year old. I work for the VA, and it has been a wonderful employer for someone who wants work/life balance. My hours are 8-4:30, and there is opportunity for part-time, if that is what you want. The health insurance is remarkable, and I did not pay anything for the birth of our two children, other than the bi-weekly premiums. Audiology is generally a low-stress field, which also helps because you can leave your work at the office and enjoy your home life when you leave work every day. I hope that helps.