Is artistic ability a requisite for plastics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CTU Surgeon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Plastics is really cool, but I have never been good at art. One of the few times an art project worked out well was when I was at Disneyland and they took me step-by-step on how to draw Piglet. Most other projects just don't end up looking how I envisioned that they would. Should I avoid plastics if I have minimal artistic ability at baseline? Anyone out there go into plastics despite poor baseline artistic ability and do fine? I wouldn't want a patient's aesthetics in my control if it's artistic ability, and not surgical technique, that influences outcomes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who actually does this for a living can feel free to correct me, but I always think of the Plastics guys as masters of spatial awareness, rather than great illustrators. For example, a good eye for symmetry, and an intuition (or great patience for measuring) in terms of how much tissue is required to fill a defect of a certain size, how far a flap can move before it is placed under tension, flap shapes and how they are moved and fit together into a smooth scar. I think it's somewhat related to, but definitely not the same ability as, the ability to draw a beautiful picture (either from scratch, or from a preexisting copy).