is a HHMI fellowship after MS4 possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fw5tape6kq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in doing a HHMI fellowship, but I'm already partway through my fourth year. I was curious if anyone on this forum has any experience with this program, and in particular, the logistics of doing such a research year after their fourth year of medical school. Is that even possible?

You find out whether or not you've been accepted into the program in March, which is the time of Match day. I have no idea how anyone can manage both; either you apply to residency or apply to the fellowship. What happens if you apply to the fellowship, don't apply to residency, but don't get in?

If anyone can provide more specifics about the logistics of the program (i.e., via personal experience) I would be extremely grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

Almost everyone in my lab is HHMI funded, but it is for post-docs, research associates and med students. I know one person who got a HHMI fellowship after M2, who then took more years off to complete a phD at HHMI. Another person got it during M1 even though it's my understanding that M1 are ineligible for the fellowship, so I think there can be exceptions. Having said that, our PI is HHMI investigator so that might have facilitated certain things.