Is a 65 CBSE not "good enough" these days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanfransunshine91

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just clarifying some rumors I keep hearing - is a 65 not good enough to match these days?

Members don't see this ad.

I know of two people who matched at "tier 1" 4 year programs with a 60. One from this past cycle and another from the year before. I also know of one person who matched this past cycle at a decent 6 year with a 60. I also know of three people with >70 who did not match. For the sake of privacy, I can't tell you where they matched.

For most 6-years you need at least a 70 to be considered seriously. With less than a 70 I felt that most 6 year programs want some explanation...it seems there are enough >70 scores that a 60 would probably be the lower half of the overall applicant pool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking from personal experience, a sub-70 is definitely good enough for both 4/6 year programs. Obviously, the higher your score, the better chance you have at getting interviews, but I don't think a "low" score should discourage anyone from applying. Many applicants I met with high scores didn't match and many with low scores matched at their top program.

what about a 57? is it too low for a 4 year program? Also, does having nbde part 2 passed help in this kind of profile?

Also, having done a 1 year gpr/aegd, does it help pursuing for 4 year programs or non categorical 1 year internships?

57 is pretty low for any program

Passing NBDE part 2 is a prerequisite to getting a degree, not something that helps you.
If I'm not mistaken you've specified before that you are the program director of a program. If it that, then someone with a high administrative position.
If you can't speak for every program, then what would be a competitive score for your program? Are there definite cutoffs?

Thanks.

Don't mean to be redundant here, but what do you guys think of a 67 plus an internship? This is kinda where I'm stuck at the moment. I'm aiming for full scope 6 year programs after my internship but I'm being hesitant whether I should take it again in July or not. Would appreciate any comments.

57 is pretty low for any program

Passing NBDE part 2 is a prerequisite to getting a degree, not something that helps you.
having a low score of 57, is there any point in trying this year? because of I'll be taking cbse in feb to improve my score. Should I aim for a 60+ or 70 is the cut off? Also, what else I can do to improve my chances other than the cbse?

You can apply and possibly fail, or not apply and definitely fail.
Exactly!! I wanna give it a shot and see how it goes?! not applying slows me down which is demotivating and waste of time. However, do you think there is a strategy that I can follow while aiming for pre-lim positions? like how can I neutralize the impact of a low cbse score? Would appreciate any tips or comments that you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
having a low score of 57, is there any point in trying this year? because of I'll be taking cbse in feb to improve my score. Should I aim for a 60+ or 70 is the cut off? Also, what else I can do to improve my chances other than the cbse?
why wait until February to try again? why not take it again in July/August?

that is because I am taking part 2 by the end of june and I am guessing I am kind of late for registration aswell. Do you think its worth a try to prepare for the exam in like a month?

guys what if I use gpr programs as a stepping stone? Is it safe to mention my interest for surgery while applying for gpr programs? I believe GPR makes more sense than AEGD for pursuing 4 year programs.

i think doing an internship would be better. It's not too late to register for July/August. I'm thinking about taking that exam

that is because I am taking part 2 by the end of june and I am guessing I am kind of late for registration aswell. Do you think its worth a try to prepare for the exam in like a month?
Part two is a joke, most people I know studied less than a week.

But part 2 and cbse donot overlap that much. I agree nbdes are kind of easy but for cbse I need to study in depth. The last time I took the exam, I tried to cram everything from first aid and ended up with a low score.

It's a joke now since it's P/F. Back when I took it it was certainly not a joke.
I'm sure. My point was there's no reason to waste time on that if a better goal is another CBSE re-take.

But part 2 and cbse donot overlap that much. I agree nbdes are kind of easy but for cbse I need to study in depth. The last time I took the exam, I tried to cram everything from first aid and ended up with a low score.

There's only 11 billion threads on this forum about how to study for the CBSE.

So what do you guys think of a 67 plus an internship? This is kinda where I'm stuck at the moment. I'm aiming for full scope 6 year programs after my internship but I'm being hesitant whether I should re-take the CBSE again in July. Would appreciate any advice.

67 with an internship is not bad. I'm sure you could get in somewhere with that. If retaking won't be a time issue, I always would want to retake to give yourself a better chance. Maybe you break 70 this time

Reactions: 1 user
I think people tend to forget the process. A GPA, class rank, and CBSE score all primarily used to get interviews; they are not always used to get a high rank. I would view this forum through the lens that most people who post on here are self selecting, which means that generally, the high scoring applicants are the ones that post. Even then, there is no way to verify who posts what, so anybody could jump on, post their 4.1 GPA, with class rank of <1, and CBSE of 101, etc. Also, don't forget that anecdotal evidence is... anecdotal. There will always be the person who gets in with an average GPA, or a sub-par CBSE, etc. This is the nature of distributions. The key is to just focus on doing your best in class and on the exam, and then being a normal person with hobbies, interests, etc. during interviews (trust me, this is important). Hope this helps :)