Is 3rd year really that bad??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Was 3rd year better than M1/M2?

• YES

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

frosted_flake

waaahmbulance attendant
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the folks here who were heavily involved in pre-hospital care (EMT, Medic, etc.)...
Did you find 3rd year of medical school better or worse than M1/M2? Over in pre-allo they make 3rd year sound like hell on earth... I feel as if I would really enjoy it... I know it is different, but still you will FINALLY be interacting with patients... isn't that what we should all like to do anyways?? Because I know I will miss working in EMS once my time in the profession is over... :(

Or are they all just whiners who like books better than people or actual work? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I never did prehospital care, but 1st and 2nd year sucked balls. I went to med school to work with patients. 3rd year was great, 4th year has been better.

Reactions: 1 user
For the folks here who were heavily involved in pre-hospital care (EMT, Medic, etc.)...
Did you find 3rd year of medical school better or worse than M1/M2? Over in pre-allo they make 3rd year sound like hell on earth... I feel as if I would really enjoy it... I know it is different, but still you will FINALLY be interacting with patients... isn't that what we should all like to do anyways?? Because I know I will miss working in EMS once my time in the profession is over... :(

Or are they all just whiners who like books better than people or actual work? :rolleyes:

I was also never involved in pre-hospital care, but I liked 3rd year way better than 1st or 2nd year. I enjoyed actually DOING something, as opposed to sitting in a classroom all day.

But, please don't dismiss people who didn't like 3rd year as "just whiners who like books better than people or actual work." It is no secret that 3rd year requires irregular hours (sometimes you may be assigned to night float or the overnight ER shift), and often requires very very early hours (my personal record was when I started rounding at 3AM as a sub-I on surgery). Some people do not like irregular hours, and some people really really hate getting up that early. And that's ok. As EMS, I suspect that you won't have a problem with this.

My boyfriend hated the subjective grading system of 3rd year the most, I think. At least in MS1 and MS2, the grading system is black or white. You got the test question right, or you didn't. You got an 85% on the test, so you did better than your friend who got a 75%. In MS3, however, it is extremely subjective, and sometimes is based on who happens to kiss a** the best.

Also, there is still, unfortunately, many places that do not fight for their medical students. There are a lot of very miserable doctors and residents and nurses, who take out their unhappiness on the med students (who often have no power and cannot speak up for themselves). In some places, the med students are an afterthought, so they are given rotation schedules that make no sense, and no one thinks to get the med students the basic essentials (like a badge that allows them in and out of the operating room suite, for example). A lot of my friends who had had jobs before med school had a hard time swallowing that kind of disrespect; you may also have a difficult time with this if it happens to you.

If you enjoy patient care and "doing stuff," 3rd year is way better. But it's still not paradise on earth, no matter how much you enjoy it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking as someone who was heavily involved in prehospital care...

Sorry bro, 3rd year sucked.

4th year is great though.

I know it is different, but still you will FINALLY be interacting with patients... isn't that what we should all like to do anyways?? Or are they all just whiners who like books better than people or actual work? :rolleyes:

Heh. I don't think you understand what 3rd year involves or have unrealistic expectations
(I thought the same thing before starting 3rd year).

No one "works" during 3rd year. Your time is mostly spent shadowing, writing useless progress notes, and retracting in the OR
(you have no real responsibility).

For the most part you end up creating more work for the team and usually get in people's way since you have no idea what you're doing. By the time you get settled in and figure out the system, poof, its time to start a new rotation. I don't mind hard work and long hours, but I would rather help care for patients, not just stand there and watch other people do it all day.

Unfortunately unless you really get lucky you don't really start doing that till you're a Sub-Intern or Intern.
(which is great and so much better than M1-M3)

3rd year is just about getting exposed to different fields to see what you like and don't like. If you're like most EMS people, you already have an idea what you like (usually EM or Anesthesia) and most other specialties aren't very fun or exciting in comparison.