IR integrated Residency vs Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD_Speciality

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read on many IR residency websites that the IR fellowships will be ended by 2020, and IR integrated residency will be the only way to become an interventional radiologist.
My question is about DR residents who will graduate after 2020, will they still have a chance to become interventionists?
IR integrated residency looks much competitive compared to DR "especially for an IMG like me" , so in case I ended up matching in DR, I want to know my chances of becoming an interventional Radiologist.

Thank you :).

Members don't see this ad.

I read on many IR residency websites that the IR fellowships will be ended by 2020, and IR integrated residency will be the only way to become an interventional radiologist.
My question is about DR residents who will graduate after 2020, will they still have a chance to become interventionists?
IR integrated residency looks much competitive compared to DR "especially for an IMG like me" , so in case I ended up matching in DR, I want to know my chances of becoming an interventional Radiologist.

Thank you :).

Not completely accurate. There will be 3 pathways to IR training starting in 2020, as outlined nicely in the previously posted link.

Members don't see this ad :)
IR INTEGRATED Residency = prelim+5
IR INDEPENDENT Residency = prelim + DR + 2
IR Early Specialization Pathway = prelim + 3 years DR + 1 year IR "ESIR" curriculum at DR program + 1 year of IR (however, ESIR curriculum does not gaurantee being accepted to the 1 year IR spot)

IR INTEGRATED Residency = prelim+5
IR INDEPENDENT Residency = prelim + DR + 2
IR Early Specialization Pathway = prelim + 3 years DR + 1 year IR "ESIR" curriculum at DR program + 1 year of IR (however, ESIR curriculum does not gaurantee being accepted to the 1 year IR spot)

This is new to me. I assumed that once you get accepted into ESIR within your program that you, for all practical purposes, are similar to a resident who initially matched IR/DR (minor schedule differences aside).

@IRorBustguy is correct. All ESIR does is earn you a certificate that says you have 1 year credit to apply towards a 2-year independent residency. You still have to apply, interview and match at an independent IR residency program.

This is new to me. I assumed that once you get accepted into ESIR within your program that you, for all practical purposes, are similar to a resident who initially matched IR/DR (minor schedule differences aside).

So if you match into an Integrated DR/IR residency, do you automatically match into that program's IR fellowship or do you have to (or have the opportunity to) apply to a fellowship at different programs?

So if you match into an Integrated DR/IR residency, do you automatically match into that program's IR fellowship or do you have to (or have the opportunity to) apply to a fellowship at different programs?

If you match integrated IR/DR, you're automatically there for the whole training. Total 6 years.

If you match DR and do ESIR, you basically have earned the opportunity to shave off a year and apply to "1-year" fellowships (they would be 2-year fellowships without ESIR) everywhere including your home program. Total 6 years.