IR as a second residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adalo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a quick question for those of you in the field regarding the feasibility of doing IR as a second residency (I am 6 months away from finishing pediatrics residency at this time). There used to be the clinical/direct pathways in the past, but things seem to be changing rapidly as far as training is concerned. I have emailed some program directors in my area, but would love to get your input on the subject.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Certainly feasible but you've got to remember that an IR Residency is 6 years which is pretty damn long. I have no doubt many programs would waive the required first year but that's probably about as much as they would do. Assuming you're still interested in Pediatrics, I would hunt out IR programs with strong pediatric IR sections. I think there are only ~a dozen pediatric IR fellowships nationally. Start with those programs. The ones I know are good include: CHOP, Cincinnati, Texas Children's, Michigan.

Hello all, I have a quick question for those of you in the field regarding the feasibility of doing IR as a second residency (I am 6 months away from finishing pediatrics residency at this time). There used to be the clinical/direct pathways in the past, but things seem to be changing rapidly as far as training is concerned. I have emailed some program directors in my area, but would love to get your input on the subject.

Thank you!

you're better off doing a fellowship like cardiology and then peds interventional cards! (or peds GI -> scopes). build on what you did, don't go back to square 1.

Reactions: 1 user
At this point, in order to pursue IR, you'd basically have to "throw away" your peds training and start over as a radiology (DR or IR/DR) resident. If you're OK with that and IR is your passion, then go for it.

But if you're looking to "build" upon your peds training by "specializing" in IR or radiology... unfortunately the training pathway just isn't set up for that.